Home | News    Friday 20 February 2015

UNAMID to start withdrawing troops from stable parts of Darfur: diplomats

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

February 19, 2015 (KHARTOUM) – The African Union-United Nations Mission in Darfur (UNAMID) announced that the tripartite team comprised of officials from the Sudanese government, UN and AU met this week for discussions on drafting an exit strategy for the peacekeeping force.

JPEG - 9.5 kb
Nigerian soldiers serving with the United Nations-African Union Mission in Darfur (UNAMID).

UNAMID said in a statement that the tripartite team reached an agreement on the terms of reference and that a joint working group will begin working in accordance with it next month to prepare the exit strategy.

The mission stressed that it continues “to implement its Chapter VII mandate as it focuses on its three strategic priorities, including protection of civilians, mediation between Government and non-signatory armed movements and support to local conflict mediation”.

The tripartite talks which started last Sunday and continued until Wednesday were kept under tight wraps by the Sudanese foreign ministry.

Sudan Tribune was told by senior diplomatic sources that during the talks it was agreed to start withdrawing UNAMID troops from areas that have experienced significant security and stability.

Following media reports late last year about mass rape in Tabit, a village 45km south-west of North Darfur capital El-Fasher, Sudanese authorities loudly criticized the UNAMID for echoing the news. They were also angered after remarks by UN officials who called for further investigation mentioning the heavy presence of military and police during the first probe.

Since then , Sudan refused to authorize a second investigation and called publicly for an exit strategy for the joint mission from Darfur.

UNAMID has been deployed in Darfur since 2007 with a mandate to stem violence against civilians in the restive region.

It is the world’s second largest international peacekeeping force with an annual budget of $1.35 billion and almost 20,000 troops.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 20 February 2015 09:01, by Ayuen deng

    Better ! ! ! even this one in South Sudan should also withdraw because they fail to stop crisis in South Sudan.

    repondre message

  • 20 February 2015 11:08, by Northern Sudanese

    yea get the fuck out of darfur. no more foreign soldiers on sudanese land.

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


South Sudan Conflict: SPLM is the problem and the solution 2017-06-23 23:55:36 By Tor Madira Machier, Since its inception more than 30 years ago, the fractured Sudan People's Liberation Movement, the SPLM has been the reason for the suffering the South Sudanese have been (...)

The Nile Basin Cooperative Framework Agreement: The impasse is breakable! 2017-06-22 04:51:22 By Salman M.A. Salman A summit of the head of states of the Nile Basin countries is planned for June 22, 2017, in Entebbe, Uganda, to discuss the impasse over the Nile Basin Cooperative (...)

Sudan, Libya, and Support for Radical Islamic Militants: A Vignette 2017-06-21 23:24:54 By Eric Reeves | June 21, 2017 In October 2014, I analysed some of the implications of minutes reflecting the deliberations of the most senior military and intelligence officials of the National (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


HRW denounces "collective punishment" in South Sudan’s Wau 2017-04-15 07:06:48 Human Right Watch South Sudan: New Spate of Ethnic Killings Urgent Need for Justice; UN Should Increase Patrols in Wau (Nairobi, April 14, 2017) – Government soldiers and allied militias (...)

Statement by South Sudanese Communist Party on the National Dialoguel 2017-03-22 05:44:42 The Communist Party of South Sudan On the Initiative of the National Dialogue The initiative taken by the President of the Republic of South Sudan declaring a need for a national dialogue is an (...)

An Appeal to President of the Republic of South Sudan 2017-03-15 07:22:45 Dear. Mr. President, I write to appeal to you for the release of political detainees now in the custody of the National Security Service at Jebel and other detention facilities. In doing this, I (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2017 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.