February 17, 2015 (KHARTOUM) – Sudan’s office of the prosecutor of crimes against the state has transferred the case of opposition leader, Farouk Abu Issa, and a prominent rights activist Amin Mekki Medani to a special terrorism court.
- In this handout picture released by his defence team, a frail Farouk Abu Issa heads to the court in Khartoum on 3 February 2015 (ST)
The speaker of the defence team, al-Muiz Hadra, said the chief justice set up the special court according to the provision of the Terrorism Act on the grounds that charges filed against their clients include terrorism charges.
He told Sudan Tribune that the chief justice agreed with the head of the defence team, Omer Abdel-Ati, to hold court sessions on Monday and Thursday of each week, saying the first session will convene on 23 February.
Hadra underscored the special terrorism court has already notified the office of the prosecutor and the detector to offer their statements, pointing that more than 100 lawyers have expressed readiness to join the defence.
Earlier this month, Sudan’s justice minister, Mohamed Bushara Dousa, refused to dismiss charges filed against Abu Issa and Mandi and referred their case to the relevant court.
Several charges have been filed against Abu Issa and Madani including undermining the constitutional system and waging war against the state, crimes punishable by death.
Abu Issa who chairs the opposition National Consensus Forces (NCF) and Amin Mekki Medani who heads the alliance of the Sudanese Civil Society Organisations have been detained since the 6th December 2014 after being signatories to the “Sudan Call” accord with the rebel umbrella Sudanese Revolutionary Front (SRF) and the opposition National Umma Party (NUP) in Addis Ababa three days before their arrest.