Home | News    Tuesday 27 January 2015

Darfur rebels accuse government militias of launching fresh attacks

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

January 26, 2015 (KHARTOUM) – The rebel Sudan Liberation Movement Abdel-Wahid al-Nur (SLM-AW) has accused the government of launching fresh attacks on areas east of Jebel Marra in Darfur region.

JPEG - 36.8 kb
A member of the rebel movement Sudan Liberation Army (SLA) - Abdul Wahid, escorts the delivery of 30,000 litres of water delivered by the African Union - United Nations Mission in Darfur’s (UNAMID) peacekeeping troops from South Africa, in Forog, some 45km (28 miles) north of Kutum March 28, 2012 (Reuters)

Omer Zakaria, an SLM-AW commander told radio Afia Darfur that government forces and allied militias attacked Galdo area in Central Darfur state, pointing that the attack has intentionally targeted civilian population particularly as armed groups have no presence in the area.

According to Zakaria, more than 100 vehicles loaded with militiamen are currently en route to Golu area in preparation for a planned attack on SLM-AW positions, expecting that deadly battles will ensue in the coming days.

He warned the government militias against carrying out massacres that target villagers, stressing that his movement is ready to push back any militias which attempt to seize its positions.

The Sudanese army (SAF) and government militias launched a large-scale military offensive against rebel positions in eastern Jebel Marra at the start of this month.

Both SAF and rebel forces have confirmed the death of a prominent rebel commander from the SLM faction led by Minni Minnawi, who was killed near Orchi in North Darfur on January 13th
.
Last week, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said clashes between the government forces and several factions of SLM in eastern Jebel Marra forced 18,000 civilians to flee their villages to El Fasher, Shangil Tobaya, Tawila and Um Baru in North Darfur.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 27 January 2015 12:28, by sudani ana

    How can you "accuse" the government of launching attacks on rebels??? It’s the government duty to clear our country of all rebels and armed groups so we can live in peace. Well done SAF and RSF for attacking rebel positions.

    repondre message

  • 27 January 2015 17:48, by sudani ana

    This is actually laughable. Rebels accuse the government of attacking them is akin to a thieves accusing the police of arresting them!!! what do you expect idiots? to be welcomed with hugs and kisses?

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


What if Dr. John Garang were alive today? 2019-12-05 08:21:57 By Nhial T. Tutlam Let’s imagine that on the fateful day of July 30, 2005 the helicopter carrying Dr. John Garang from Uganda back to his base in Southern Sudan arrived safely. Let’s further (...)

The cries of South Sudanese women in Australia 2019-12-04 07:13:57 Biong Deng Biong Amidst Melbourne’s African youth crime saga and its associated political chaos, a quiet cohort watch events unfold, weary and grim-faced. They are the struggling mothers of the (...)

South Sudan’s Security Arrangements: flawed rhetoric vs real practice 2019-12-02 06:41:06 By Steve Paterno Some compatriot South Sudanese wrote on his Facebook status, jokingly by urging people to flock to cantonment sites in big number to fulfil the required 83,0000, a threshold the (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.