Home | News    Thursday 20 November 2014

Sudan rejects UN calls for another investigation into mass rape claims

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

November 19, 2014 (KHARTOUM) – The Sudanese government has officially rejected a call by UN secretary-general Ban Ki Moon to allow the hybrid peacekeeping mission in Darfur (UNAMID) to conduct another investigation into recent claims of the mass rape of some 200 women by Sudanese military personnel in the village of Tabit in North Darfur state.

JPEG - 27.8 kb
United Nations secretary-general Ban Ki-moon speaks to the media following a UN Security Council meeting on the crises in both Syria and South Sudan (Photo: Getty Images)

Ban said in a statement released on Monday that he is “deeply troubled” by the mass rape allegations, stressing that only a full investigation by the UNAMID will help shed light on the incident.

He urged the Sudanese government to grant the mission unfettered access without further delay to Tabit and its population.

On Tuesday, the acting head of UNAMID, Abiodun Bashua, Bashua, said the mission intends to conduct another investigation in Tabit to put an end to recent “rumors”, underscoring that the investigation is in the interest of the government, UNAMID and the people of the village who were affected by these rumors.

Sudan’s foreign ministry undersecretary, Abdalla al-Azrag, in press statements on Wednesday, asked Ban to investigate mass rape in countries other than Sudan, underscoring that such practices do not take place in his country.

Al-Azrag urged Ban not to waste the UN resources on investigating claims made by a radio well-known for its fabrications, saying the UN and UNAMID had previously complained about the incredibility of that radio.

He was alluding to Radio Dabanga, a radio station headquartered in the Netherlands with a team of local reporters in Darfur, which was the first media outlet to report the mass rape allegations.

The Sudanese official further pointed that the special prosecutor for crimes in Darfur, Yasser Ahmed Mohamed, is currently present in the village to conduct a comprehensive, fair and impartial probe, emphasising that the findings will be published immediately upon completion of the investigation.

He expressed surprise at UNAMID’s request to conduct another investigation after it has earlier been given access to the village and its population, stressing that villagers protested these allegations and became hostile towards the mission.

Al-Azrag said the foreign ministry officially informed UNAMID that raising this issue again may have dire consequences, stressing there are no guarantees that the angry villagers would not clash with the mission’s team.

He went on to say the Sudanese government fears worsening of the situation in the area, reiterating refusal of allegations of sexual assault against the women of Tabit.

The Sudanese official further said it is illogical that all military personnel turn into predatory monsters, stressing that the available information shows that the number of the villagers is by far less than the number of those claimed to be raped.

On Sunday, the Sudanese government said it denied UNAMID’s team access to Tabit, mentioning that it is skeptical about the motives behind its insistence to visit the village for the second time.

Last week, a UNAMID verification team investigated these allegations and said it found no evidence proving the rape claims.

However, western media quoted UN officials as saying that the mission said in a secret report to the UN headquarters that witnesses were intimidated by the heavy presence of the Sudanese army during the investigation.

The Sudanese army vehemently denied these rape accusations, describing reports about the incident as “baseless and without justification”.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


What if Dr. John Garang were alive today? 2019-12-05 08:21:57 By Nhial T. Tutlam Let’s imagine that on the fateful day of July 30, 2005 the helicopter carrying Dr. John Garang from Uganda back to his base in Southern Sudan arrived safely. Let’s further (...)

The cries of South Sudanese women in Australia 2019-12-04 07:13:57 Biong Deng Biong Amidst Melbourne’s African youth crime saga and its associated political chaos, a quiet cohort watch events unfold, weary and grim-faced. They are the struggling mothers of the (...)

South Sudan’s Security Arrangements: flawed rhetoric vs real practice 2019-12-02 06:41:06 By Steve Paterno Some compatriot South Sudanese wrote on his Facebook status, jokingly by urging people to flock to cantonment sites in big number to fulfil the required 83,0000, a threshold the (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.