Home | News    Wednesday 15 October 2014

Nothing prevents Sudan’s Bashir from seeking re-election: Ghandour

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

October 14, 2014 (KHARTOUM) – Sudan’s ruling National Congress (NCP) reaffirmed that nothing prevents president Omer al-Bashir from seeking re-election in the next presidential race.

JPEG - 23.8 kb
NCP deputy chairman Ibrahim Ghandour speaks in a press conference held in Khartoum on 14 October 2014 (ST)

In a press conference held on Tuesday, presidential assistant and NCP deputy chairman Ibrahim Ghandour briefed reporters about the party’s preparations for the fourth national convention, which will begin on 23 October.

Ghandour said the party would select five people adding that the only one name will be picked and tabled at the General Convention for endorsement. In addition, he ruled out any possible divergence or rift over his choice.

“We are ready for anyone who has a talk inconsistent with the constitution and the possibility of Bashir’s nomination [by the party],” he added.

Former presidential aide Nafie Ali Nafie Sunday admitted the existence of a trend within the ruling party opposed to the Bashir’s nomination for 2015 election. But he asserted that the majority within the NCP supports the current president.

Al-Bashir since last year says he has no intention to run for a new term, stressing on the need to inject fresh blood in the party, but he has left the door open adding that the matter will be decided by the Shura Council and the party’s general convention.

On the other hand, Ghandour reiterated their rejection to the demands of the opposition and rebel forces to postpone the election and to form an interim cabinet to implement the outcome of the national dialogue.

He said that no one can guarantee an end of the transitional period, pointing that some ask to extend it for 10 years.

“We will not take the risk to leave the legitimacy of the government hanging in the hands of the armed movements,” he said.

TALKS WITH SPLM-N REBELS

On Tuesday. the presidential assistant received the head of East Africa division in the Germany foreign ministry, Marian Schuegraf, who briefed him about a workshop her government organised earlier this month for the rebel groups.

In statements released by the official agency SUNA, Gandour renewed his government’s commitment to engage talks with the rebel SPLM-N and to include all the opposition forces in the national dialogue.

In his press conference, he indicated the mediation did not yet determine a date for the talks, adding their readiness for a “comprehensive ceasefire agreement” followed by security arrangements and the implementation of the tripartite humanitarian agreement.

He further pointed that the discussions with the rebels of South Kordofan and Blue Nile states should not exceed three months, after what the SPLM-N joins the national dialogue process.

The government’s top negotiator underscored they refuse the SPLM-N calls for a renewable six-month cessation of hostilities.

As well, he said the deal that the national dialogue subcommittee for external relations signed with the African Union High-Level Implementation Panel (AUHIP) and the rebel Sudanese Revolutionary Forces (SRF) is not yet endorsed by the political forces of the national dialogue.

He added the agreement on the national dialogue and constitutional process will be examined by the general assembly of the national dialogue, which will convene next Sunday in a meeting chaired by president Omer al-Bashir.

SUDAN AND GULF COUNTRIES

Ghandour also commented on a document leaked recently including the minutes of a Joint Military and Security Committee meeting. He accused internal and external circles of seeking to undermine Sudan relations with the Gulf countries.

“Always, there are some circles seeking to harm our relations with the Gulf States,” he said, adding that Sudan will not be part of any regional or international alliance, but work to develop bilateral ties with all the countries.

He said that the leaked document aims to undermine Sudan’s relations with the Saudi Arabia and Iran.

The presidential assistant added they will soon release documents to counter what was published by US expert on Sudan issues Eric Reeves in September.

“The leak of documents is a war, if began, will be lost by those who started it,” he said.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 15 October 2014 15:27, by Ayom Ayom

    Nothing can prevents Salva Kiir, Museveni & Bashir from upcoming re-elections

    repondre message

  • 16 October 2014 19:41, by Northern Sudanese

    the new presidential palace which will open in january should host a new president for sudan. whether we like or hate bashir, we really want new faces and a new party that focuses on development rather than religion.

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Sudan’s removal from terror list taints U.S. values 2018-11-10 08:34:32 November, 9th, 2018 The Honorable Michael Richard Pompeo Secretary of State U.S. Department of State 2201 C St NW, Washington DC 20520 USA RESPONSE BY SUDAN LIBERATION MOVEMENT (SLM/A-AW) TO (...)

R-ARCISS: A Peace that divides the signatories and non-signatories 2018-11-10 07:58:28 By Tito Awen, Juba-South Sudan I keep wondering if peace can divide or unite the partners. I am not so young nor unmindful not to have known what happened after signing of the Comprehensive (...)

U.S. Move Ignores Sudan’s Abuses Against its Own People 2018-11-09 06:56:11 U.S. Considers Lifting Sudan’s ‘Terror State’ Designation By Jehanne Henry With all eyes on mid-term elections in the United States, almost no one noticed that on the same day the US State (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Progress observed at end of second month of R-ARCSS implementation 2018-10-22 06:44:02 Press Release 21 October 2018 South Sudanese government released 24 detainees in the implementation of the revitalized peace agreement said the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) (...)

4th Annual Tony Elumelu Foundation Entrepreneurship Forum Announced for 25th October 2018 2018-10-15 12:38:14 PRESS RELEASE OCTOBER 14, 2018 Africa’s leading entrepreneurship-focused philanthropic organisation, the Tony Elumelu Foundation (TEF), has announced October 25, 2018, as the date for its (...)

Unity State community in Kenya supports Khartoum peace agreement 2018-08-17 08:33:21 PRESS STATMENT 14th Aug, 2018 Re: We shall Rally behind Khartoum Peace Agreement The Unity State Community Association in Kenya was established in 2010 to organize and mobilize the people of (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2018 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.