Home | News    Monday 29 September 2014

S. Sudan rebel faction welcomes AU, ICC investigations into rights abuses

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

September 28, 2014 (KAMPALA) – A senior South Sudanese rebel official said they have no objection to an investigation into alleged human right violations committed during the more than nine-month-long armed conflict with the government.

JPEG - 29.4 kb
David Otim (R), principal representative for the SPLM/A in Opposition in Uganda, and Oyet Nathaniel Pierino, chairman for the rebel faction’s national committee for political mobilisation, speak at a press conference in the Ugandan capital, Kampala, on 22 Septemeber 2014 (ST)

Oyet Nathaniel Pierino told Sudan Tribune on Sunday that over 20,000 ethnic Nuers were killed during the genesis of the crisis, adding that 10 mass graves were recovered in the capital, Juba, alone.

Pierino says the leadership of the opposition faction of South Sudan’s ruling Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (SPLM) is well prepared for any investigation into alleged abusescalling on for an engagement of human right experts to investigate out atrocities committed in the world’s new nation.

Headed by former Nigerian president Olusegun Obasanjo, the five-member African Union Commission of Inquiry is part of efforts to hold those responsible for rights violations accountable and achieve a conducive environment for a lasting political settlement to the crisis.

“We are fully waiting, we are going to respect [the] Obsanjo[-led] commission … if it is transparent we will look at it, but let us not cross the bridge before we reach there,” said Pierino.

He claims the South Sudanese government fears being held accountable for ethnic-motivated killings which took place at the beginning of the conflict.

He told Sudan Tribune the current war was imposed on the people of South Sudan by president Salva Kiir on people of South Sudan.

The rebel group said it remains fully committed to cooperating with the investigators, saying it welcomed the involvement of Human Rights Watch and other independent right groups, which are documenting alleged atrocities committed in the country.

Pierino said the rebel movement also welcomed the involvement of the International Criminal Court (ICC).

David Otim, the rebel envoy to Kampala, has applauded Pierino’s calls, demanding a thorough investigation into the alleged killings of innocent civilians by government forces in Juba.

He said the SPLM in Opposition had taken up arms against the dictatorial rule in Juba to fight for better services delivery and governance to in South Sudan.

Otim has accused president Kiir of lacking the credentials to lead the country, saying he had transformed the SPLM into a visionless body that represented his own interests rather than the people.

The senior official also claimed Kiir had lost all credibility since South Sudan gained independence from the north in 2011 following a more than two decades long civil war.

“You (Kiir) help us to win the country and the flag, but now the people want something is not about [the] slogan ‘SPLM Oyee Oyee!’ No, [it] is about delivery of services – school, hospitals and good roads,” said Otim.

“Right now in Juba people are dying because of typhoid, including even many leaders,” he added.

He says the people of South Sudan were being manipulated through the use of the slogan and that the party had consistently failed to put the interests of the nation above its own.

Otim further accused the Kiir administration of fostering corruption since the signing of the 2005 Comprehensive Peace Agreement which paved the way for the 2011 referendum on independence, saying he had so far failed to prosecute any officials.

He claimed many senior officials, put off by the lack of services in South Sudan, had now moved to Uganda in search of a better quality of life

“South Sudan is just like garden. You see the shopper went there, they pick the money from there and [then] they come and stay in Uganda [and] they look for good places,” Otim told Sudan Tribune on Sunday.

Meanwhile, he maintained that those who died as a result of the current crisis did not die in vain, but as an icon for freedom of all South Sudanese people for the restoration of democracy and political vision.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 29 September 2014 07:41, by Madina Tonj

    Well, I think the rebel leader Riek Machar Teny is going to be indicted by ICC if Juba government are serious about human rights abuse and killing. First, the number claim by rebels above are partially correct. second, Juba must open Bor massacres made by Riek Machar, thirdly, there were 2600 have kills inside Bentiu by rebels, 400 were Darfurian Business men and the rest were Dinkas and Nuers

    repondre message

  • 29 September 2014 07:44, by Rommel

    Where did the Nuer get the 20, 000 figure from? The Nuer have come up with their own numbers... And so one necessarily has to adopt a healthy dose of skepticism with regards to their numbers. What methodology was used to arrive at these fanciful numbers. How could they possibly have assessed the number of Nuer civilians killed in Juba?

    repondre message

    • 29 September 2014 07:46, by Rommel

      No sane individual is suggesting that innocent civilians were not targeted in Juba in December. The Nuer have quite predictably exaggerated the numbers. Their absurd estimates range from the ’hundreds of thousands’ to 27, 000 to 20, 000 and finally 17,613... something that is supposed to have happened within a 2-3 day period. Does that seem plausible?

      repondre message

      • 29 September 2014 07:51, by Rommel

        Why didn’t International embassies and the many NGOs stationed in Juba give credence to these fanciful numbers? I don’t think that less than a 1,000 civilians died, but the numbers peddled by the opposition are ridiculous. Those numbers would make the Nazis blush. The rebels shouldn’t be surprised when these impartial investigators come up with significantly lower casualty estimates.

        repondre message

        • 29 September 2014 08:03, by Rommel

          It’s funny how Riek was so quick to claim that tens of thousands of Nuer civilians had been killed in Juba over a 2-3 day period but denied [for decades] that his forces had in fact murdered tens of thousands of civilians over a 2 week period. Riek massacred tens of thousands of civilians. Riek only conceded responsibility for the 1991 massacre twenty [20] years after the fact...

          repondre message

          • 29 September 2014 08:07, by Rommel

            Riek also said this about Salva:

            "You are a discredited leader, you have committed massacres, I hope he accepts that."

            Didn’t Riek not too long ago admit to committing massacres in the 90s when he put on a spectacular show, in which he apparently broke down in tears!?

            repondre message

            • 29 September 2014 08:08, by Rommel

              Those crocodile tears were apparently meant to be received as genuine expressions of regret, when they were just derivatives of cynical and artful political calculation. Riek’s use of words like democracy, human rights and equality is insincere and altogether meaningless, when his past statements -and more importantly- his actions, are put under the microscope.

              repondre message

      • 29 September 2014 08:16, by michael coma

        These Equatorian sycophants have been amalgamated into Nuers’ propagandist system. Welcoming of ICC is not like welcoming of humanitarian agencies whereby you can get jobs,food and international recognition. The SPLA IN OPPOSITION AND SPLA NASIR FACTION had the same case of massacre which is part of Riek also.

        repondre message

  • 29 September 2014 07:58, by allan

    Damn ass how about millions of dinka people got killed by your delusion greedy leader riak machar he will never escaped icc so stopped saying like the game we still on the business come check out in renk we fuck u guys good we are on move still

    repondre message

  • 29 September 2014 08:05, by wang

    17,000 militia Dinka were trained in years 2011-2012 to wipeoff the Nuer population in Juba…20-30,000 Nuer were murdered alone in Juba without Ayod, whole Unity State, Malakal, Nasir etc.

    repondre message

    • 29 September 2014 08:14, by Rommel

      wang:

      Your numbers are completely ridiculous. Until they are substantiated, they can only be regarded as works of propaganda. Salva is an idiot, he should have trained significantly more than 17, 000 men, especially after Salva integrated tens of thousands of Khartoum compliant Nuer militiamen in 2006.

      repondre message

    • 29 September 2014 08:34, by michael coma

      Wang

      I do blame Kiir for training that less number you mentioned above.If i were the one,i would have train more than 500,000 Dinka men only just to control Riek’s rebellion.Since war started in 1983,Nuers never stop rebelling to North and now are farting allover South Sudan demanding leadership.

      repondre message

  • 29 September 2014 09:04, by wang

    Michael coma
    It wills come to your senses when Nuer responses….which they would soon….continue praising Mrs Kiir M7 for its roles of killing innocence people

    repondre message

    • 29 September 2014 09:40, by Redeemer

      Wang
      Nuer already responses but they are feeling their own response, they are coming to Equartoria and Bhar-el-gazal for survival, you wanted to destroy others but you ended up destroying yourself

      repondre message

  • 29 September 2014 09:13, by Redeemer

    Oyet
    I now believe that education is not everything. A wise nationalist person will support ICC investigation into the killing of SSudanese not only Nuer as you said, what about thousands of Shilluk who were killed and your idiots are still killing them even yesterday Shilluks were killed

    repondre message

  • 29 September 2014 09:30, by Redeemer

    Oyet
    You said that you are fighting for democracy, were you taught that democracy is achievable through killing? Oyet there will be time when you will be answerable to us directly, leave alone that possessed Riek, in 1991 he killed people that he wants to transform the movement now he is at it again and you accepted to be agent of devil.

    repondre message

  • 29 September 2014 10:04, by Dengic

    Wang
    You are beyond delusion as Nuer tribe.I personally blame Salva Kiir for failing to train more than the number you always alleged.Do you think ICC will miss Machar and Gadet?..If 20,000 Nuer were killed,how many are in UNMISS camps now,if that how you reason, it’s done and those who executed it are happy with it too.

    repondre message

    • 29 September 2014 14:58, by Bentiu Sudan

      Dear Oyet N. Pierino and David Otim:

      Thank you for your citizenship. You are sincere, patriot, and idealistic citizens. Salva Kiir is the world foolish president. Even the Sudan president Omer El Bashir is much wiser than Kiir. Everywhere Kiir go he is being lectured like baby in diaper and still not listening. Now his foolishness is known worldwide.Idiot black ass Kiir will never escape ICC.

      repondre message

  • 29 September 2014 15:44, by Thondet Manyang

    Do you want ICC and AU to come to Kampala? You blame Ugandans president while you are ditching there. Fools!

    repondre message

  • 29 September 2014 16:26, by Joseph Canada

    The denial of the truth will always haunt Dinka whenever they are. Yes people were killed in Juba. Many Nuers were slaughtered. The Dinka who were killed after the Dec 15th was as a result from what started the killing. Yes they are all Human and if you talk to the family and concern citizen, no one wish to die for the sake of Kiir & Riek’s Political Manipulation. We loss Youth in action.

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Egypt final push to secure zero-sum water-share agreement 2019-12-09 14:11:32 By Ermias Hailu After Egypt’s failure to integrate Eritrea to its territories by the end of the second world war, due to Emperor Haile Selassie’s superior diplomatic skills, the then Egyptian Pan- (...)

Defending kleptocrat is like defending devils before God 2019-12-09 12:34:30 By Zechariah Makuach Maror On Friday 6. Dec. 2019 the Dawn newspaper published an article in it Vol.4 Issue 1111 written by a clumsy writer called Peter Wek Ayom Wek titled "response to (...)

What if Dr. John Garang were alive today? 2019-12-05 08:21:57 By Nhial T. Tutlam Let’s imagine that on the fateful day of July 30, 2005 the helicopter carrying Dr. John Garang from Uganda back to his base in Southern Sudan arrived safely. Let’s further (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.