Home | News    Saturday 20 September 2014

US imposes sanctions on more South Sudanese military

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

September 19, 2014 (ADDIS ABABA) – Unites States government has slapped the South Sudanese warring parties with additional sanctions targeting two senior military officers on the two sides, accused of fuelling the ongoing 9-month long conflict.

JPEG - 24.4 kb
Soldiers from the South Sudanese army (SPLA) jump from a vehicle while on patrol in the capital, Juba (Photo: Reuters/Goran Tomasevic)

Major General Santino Deng Wol of South Sudan army, in charge of third military division and Major General James Koang Chuol, who was previously in charge of fourth army division but defected and joined the rebel faction of the Sudan Peoples’ Liberation Movement (SPLM-in-Opposition) became the latest targets.

In a statement released on Thursday by the US Treasury under-secretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence, David Cohen, accused the two generals of prolonging the violence in South Sudan.

"Both of the individuals we are designating today are prolonging the violent conflict in South Sudan and engaging in reprehensible violence," the statement partly reads.

The treasury department accused Wol of expanding the conflict and of obstructing peace, saying his troops continued to attack the rebel positions despite the 23 January cessation of hostilities agreement between the warring parties.

According to the treasury, Wol is accused of breaking the agreement with a series of military engagements in which his forces recaptured the towns of Mayom, Tor Abyad and Wang Kai from the rebels.

The statement also accused the rebel commander Koang of carrying out attacks against civilians in Unity state.

The rebel attacks "targeted civilians, including women and children, with killing, sexual violence and attacks on schools, hospitals, religious sites, and locations where civilians were seeking refuge," says the statement.

Washington in the past imposed sanctions on president Salva Kiir’s presidential guards commander, General Marial Cinuong and General Peter Gatdet who defected in December to the rebel group in Jonglei state while previously serving as the overall commander of the eighth army division.

The four generals are banned from travelling to US and their assets or financial transactions which may be in the US or related to US companies are frozen.

Generals Wol and Gatdet are also under sanctions by the European Union (EU), which also bans their movement to EU countries and freeze their assets.

The latest US sanction came a day after the United Kingdom threatened the two warring parties with regional sanctions unless they abide by the cessation of hostilities agreements they signed and speedily conclude the peace talks.

UK also hinted that the United Nations would impose sanctions on South Sudan.

However, Juba slammed the looming sanctions, describing them as a conspiracy of western strategy.

“We believe that threats of sanctions as a western strategy to bring peace while apportioning blames, even when they know every well that the government does not bear any responsibility in this senseless war created by Riek Machar and his group, will also affect other countries in the region”, Mark Nyipuoc, the deputy speaker of the national assembly told reporters Monday.

The rebels on their side downplayed the effect of the targeted sanctions on individual military officers, saying South Sudan government has remained at large and continued to import weaponry from China through ports of Mombassa of Kenya in order to perpetuate the war.

Tens of thousands of people have died since the conflict began in mid-December with 1.5 million more displaced.

The two parties have been engaging in peace talks in Ethiopia since January under the auspices of the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD).

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 20 September 2014 08:47, by dinkdong

    I knew it! I knew the dang West will not thinks of other people other than those individuals. They leave Kiir and Riek who are the source of this disaster. The US and EU are pathetic!

    repondre message

    • 20 September 2014 09:00, by Ahmed Chol

      The US is a stupid entity. Can one blame the US officers in the battle field in Iraq and Afghanistan for the war there or the US government? Officers in any army take orders from their superiors. Deng Wol receives orders from Kiir and Malong Awan. Singling him out and leaving his superiors is pure idiocy and doesn’t end the war.

      repondre message

    • 20 September 2014 10:02, by Johndumo14

      A-Generals, Marial Cinuong,Peter Gatdet ,James Koang Chuol,these people have no assets or business with USA or EU countries.They have 20 wives and 50 to 100 children each ,and they have thousands of cows and goats. They don`t travel to EU,or USA,if they want they can enjoy travel to Khartoum and arabs countries to get medical care or doing business,they speak arabic ,they don`t speak english.

      repondre message

    • 20 September 2014 10:11, by Johndumo14

      B-A-Generals, Marial Cinuong,Peter Gatdet ,James Koang Chuol,these people have no assets or business with USA or EU countries.They don`t watch TV or read news papers,they are not educated but when comes to warfare,or military operations they are the best in the world,think of how these army defeat khartoum army with modern weapons and gunships,and these generals have have only light AK 47,in 1983

      repondre message

  • 20 September 2014 08:47, by Ayuiu Makuac Lam

    Good to hear, gennocidial, James Koang Chuol, in the sanctions list.

    repondre message

  • 20 September 2014 08:49, by Ayuiu Makuac Lam

    Good to hear, gennocidial, James Koang Chuol, in the sanctions list.

    repondre message

  • 20 September 2014 09:19, by Ayom Ayom

    I think this war is moving into advance stage,

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Sudan can not give what it does not have 2018-10-16 14:36:47 The Sudanese Regime Tends to Order Righteousness to others while ignoring doing so for itself By Mahmoud A. Suleiman Heads of Failed States in the African Continent are trying to save other (...)

Ethiopia’s PM should review policies 2018-10-14 20:42:05 Ethiopian Prime Minister Dr Abiy Ahmed needs to change course in some of the policies he introduced in Ethiopia before history that brought him to leadership repeat itself. By Lul Gatkuoth (...)

Evaluating the IGAD-led peace mediation in South Sudan 2018-10-09 13:19:50 Lako Jada Kwajok September 12, 2018, marked the signing in Addis Ababa of the revitalised peace agreement also known as Revitalised Agreement on the Resolution of Conflict in the Republic of (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


4th Annual Tony Elumelu Foundation Entrepreneurship Forum Announced for 25th October 2018 2018-10-15 12:38:14 PRESS RELEASE OCTOBER 14, 2018 Africa’s leading entrepreneurship-focused philanthropic organisation, the Tony Elumelu Foundation (TEF), has announced October 25, 2018, as the date for its (...)

Unity State community in Kenya supports Khartoum peace agreement 2018-08-17 08:33:21 PRESS STATMENT 14th Aug, 2018 Re: We shall Rally behind Khartoum Peace Agreement The Unity State Community Association in Kenya was established in 2010 to organize and mobilize the people of (...)

The Suspension of Hurriyat Online Newspaper 2018-04-29 07:04:37 Sudan Democracy First Group 28 April 2018 The Sudanese civil and political circles and those concerned with Sudan were shocked by the news that the management of Hurriyat online newspaper has (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2018 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.