Home | News    Sunday 31 August 2014

South Sudan’s investigation committee arrive in Jonglei

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

August 30, 14 (JUBA) – Members of the committee formed by South Sudan president Salva Kiir to investigate crimes and destructions caused in Jonglei state at the intensity of the conflict arrived Saturday in the capital, Bor.

JPEG - 12.1 kb
The map of Jonglei in red

Jonglei’s information minister, Jody Jonglei said the committee begins work on 1 September and will meet survivors and eyewitnesses of the violent conflict.

“The committee will start their work immediately after church services on Sunday. The victims will speak, and the other eyewitnesses will give the required information," said Jody.

"The government is also prepared to give a clear report of to the committee," he added.

Jonglei, the country’s largest state was one of the three regions badly-hit by the conflict that started from the capital, Juba in mid-December last year. Hundreds of people were reportedly killed in Bor when opposition forces took control of the town, while thousands were forced to flee their homes in to neighbouring Lakes state.

In a separate incident, more than 50 civilians were killed in April, when armed youth stormed a United Nations camp in Bor demanding the immediate re-location of some of the displaced people from the protection of civilian site.

“The committee will also deal with what happened between December 15, 2013 to date in the state. This means that what happened in the UNMISS camp in April will not he left out,” said Jody.

Some youth members accused of killing displaced civilians at the UN camp in Bor vowed never to be part of the investigation process, saying none of its members was arrested in connection with the incident.

The committee, headed by Yuhanis Akol, will visit all the conflict-affected states and compile reports on events that occurred during the conflict.

(ST).

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 31 August 2014 08:30, by dinkdong

    Why not starting the investigation in Juba. That’s where the conflict started.

    repondre message

    • 31 August 2014 11:42, by Peacocktail

      The Investigation committee are just wasting resources and time and yet nothing is being investigation, they should have started from State House to Bilpam then SPLA Presidential Guard known as Tiger and Calls Gen. Peter Gatdet and Gen.James Kong Chuol in hiding for comprehensive views.
      Every one Knows in Juba that Massacre is committed by Tiger battalion in Juba against Nuer and their associates.

      repondre message

  • 1 September 2014 01:06, by Bentiu Sudan

    Food lover committee appointed by foolish president. You are just wasting resources that could have been use to do other things.

    repondre message

  • 1 September 2014 08:57, by Majongdulthii Anyang-majongduldit

    the survivors and eyewitnesses should take the committee to all parts of the town and especially some of the mass graves where people were buried and not forgetting some of the worse photos taken which include people killed in hospitals and rape and killed photos

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Chemical Weapons Use and International Hypocrisy 2018-04-26 21:31:39 Eric Reeves “The scale and brutality of these attacks are hard to put into words. The images and videos we have seen in the course of our research are truly shocking; in one a young child is (...)

A new approach to peace 2018-04-23 06:16:35 By Miroslav Laják When the United Nations was created, its founders envisioned a different kind of world. A world in which disputes were resolved in meeting rooms and not battlefields. A world (...)

Bring Sudanese troops home now 2018-04-21 15:25:57 By Salah Shuaib The Sudanese troops fighting hard now in Yemen, who were sent there by order of al-Bashir, should return home. The process of implementing this task is much challenging. But, we (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Petition on the Deteriorating Human Rights and Humanitarian Situation in Sudan 2018-04-22 10:01:20 UN Secretary-General, New York African Union Commission, Addis Ababa UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Geneva Petition on the Deteriorating Human Rights and Humanitarian Situation in Sudan (...)

Abyei celebrates Mine Awareness Day 2018-04-05 08:52:03 4 April 2018 | Abyei - The United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA) and the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) commemorated the International Day for Mine Awareness and (...)

Appeal for forgiveness and pardon of John Agou Wuoi 2018-03-07 08:28:08 H.E. Salva Kiir Mayardit, President and Commander-in-Chief, of the Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLA), Republic of South Sudan (RSS), 5th February, 2018. Through: Hon. Michael Makuei Lueth (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2018 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.