Home | News    Thursday 28 August 2014

Sudanese army denies involvement in tribal clashes in East Darfur

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

August 27, 2014 (KHARTOUM) – The Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) has denied participation in the ongoing tribal clashes between Rezeigat and Ma’alia tribes in East Darfur state, accusing “rebel pockets” of spreading rumors of its involvement in the bloody conflict.

JPEG - 32.2 kb
Spokesperson for the Sudan Armed Forces (SAF) Colonel al-Sawarmi Khalid Sa’ad (Photo: Ashraf Ahazly/AFP/Getty Images)

Fighting erupted between the Rizeigat and Maalia tribes in East Darfur last week after the theft of livestock belonging to Ma’alia in Abu Rakubah area leaving 200 dead and hundreds wounded from both sides.

SAF spokesperson, al-Sawarmi Khaled Saad, told the government-sponsored Sudan Media Center (SMC) website on Wednesday that SAF’s victories in all battlefronts were driven by its national creed, accusing rebel groups of inciting and supporting tribal feuds.

He stressed SAF’s support for any official or popular efforts to stop the bloodshed, pointing that SAF since Sudan’s independence stayed away from tribal conflicts.

The Rizeigat attacked the area of Um-Rakoba inhabited by Maalia several times last week. The genesis of the conflict between the two tribes from last week was a dispute over land ownership claimed by both tribes.

Battles between the two tribes intensified in recent years following oil discovery in Ma’alia areas.

The Ma’alia accused Rizeigat of using government military vehicles in the fighting, and an eyewitness told Sudan Tribune that three four-wheel-drive vehicles carrying military licence plates were destroyed.

Last week, the head of the Liberation and Justice Movement (LJM) in East Darfur state, Hussein al-Safi held ministers of defence and interior responsible for the involvement of the Rizeigat affiliates in the Sudanese army and police in the clashes and the use of government’s weapons and vehicles which multiplied the number of victims.

But the The interior minister, Ismat Abdel-Mageed, denied involvement of any government troops in the tribal clashes.

Last Sunday, mainly Ma’alia students demonstrated in Khartoum in front of the parliament in protest of what they called repeated Rezeigat attacks. They waved banners calling on the government to withdraw arms and heavy equipments from the Rizeigat.

The head of the parliamentary subcommittee on Labor, al-Hadi Mohammed Ali, who addressed the demonstrators, promised to summons the interior minister to probe the events.

The reconciliation conference, which was held between the two tribes in West Kordofan state capital city of al-Foula last month had failed, prompting the presidency to summons East Darfur governor and deputy tribal chiefs to seek a truce.

The state is witnessing a constitutional vacuum for more than a year after the failure of the governor to form his government because of tribal conflicts.

REBELLION RUMOURS

In a separate context, al-Sawarmi refuted what he called “misleading rumours” spread by rebels in South Kordofan that regular forces looted people’s property in the villages of Al-Atmoor, Troji and al-Tais, saying the reality of the rebels’ defeat in the mentioned villages belies these rumours.

He underscored that SAF as a national force is founded upon a conviction which appreciates the value of nationalism known to every Sudanese citizen unlike the rebel groups which support and fuel regional and tribal feuds.

The Sudanese army and its militias intensified attacks on the Sudanese People’s Liberation Movement-North (SPLM-N) rebels in South Kordofan in a large counterinsurgency campaign called “Decisive Summer”.

The border states of South Kordofan and Blue Nile state have been the scene of violent conflict since 2011 when the SPLM-N launched an insurgency against the Khartoum regime.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


The theory of African president and prime minister, working together 2014-11-22 05:32:12 By Steve Paterno November 21, 2014 - Africa is notoriously known for political instability, stemming in most cases, over power struggle among the ruling elites. Often times, the best and quick (...)

The UNAMID internal report on mass rape in Tabit. 2014-11-21 06:09:21 What UNAMID really said about their investigation of mass sexual assaults on Tabit: The internal report on what investigators found By Eric Reeves November 20, 2014 - On November 12, 2014 (...)

Bullying Darfur 2014-11-13 18:13:39 By Namaa Al-Mahdi November 13, 2014 - “We broke their backs in Abu Karshola, I doubt they have recovered since,” said a prominent Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) member about their counter attack on (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan Democracy First Group condemns wave of arbitrary arrests in Sudan 2014-09-25 05:17:35 Sudan Democracy First Group 25 September 2014 - In a desperate attempt to prevent a series of events commemorating the victims of the September 2013 protests, Sudan’s notorious National (...)

HRW calls on UN rights body to press Sudan to investigate murder of peaceful protesters 2014-09-24 21:24:09 Human Rights Watch One Year On, No Justice for Protester Deaths (Geneva, September 23, 2014) – The United Nations Human Rights Council should call on Sudan to account immediately for the death (...)

Hundreds walk for peace in South Sudan 2014-09-23 08:30:16 National Platform for Peace and Reconciliation (NPPR) PRESS RELEASE Juba, 21 September 2014 - Hundreds of people took to the streets of the South Sudan capital Jubato ‘Walk for Peace’and demand (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.