Home | News    Monday 18 August 2014

Sudanese security prevents activists from delivering memo to rights body

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

August 17, 2014 (KHARTOUM) – Sudanese security forces Sunday prevented activists and opponents from handing a memorandum against human rights and public freedoms violations in Sudan to the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Sunday.

Protesters including families of political detainees, youth of the opposition umbrella of the National Consensus Forces (NCF) took their placards and memo to the NHRC premises in Khartoum Two where they were met with a heavy police presence around the building.

They activists chanted slogans calling to release the head of the Sudanese Congress Party Ibrahim al-Sheikh, the deputy leader of the National Umma Party (NUP), Meriam al-Mahdi and a detained journalist Hassan Ishaq .

The security forces barred the activists from entering into the headquarters of the national rights body to hand their memo. The letter enumerates cases of detained activists and opponents and violations of the rights to freedom of association, expression, and peaceful assembly in the country.

Also, officials from the independent human rights organ failed to persuade the security forces to allow the protesters to deliver their message.

Following the crackdown of rights and research centres in December 2012, Sudanese security had already prevented protesters from handing a memo to the rights commission.

At the time, the NHRC issued a statement condemning the move and described it as “a flagrant violation of the Interim Constitution of 2005 and the National Human Rights Commission Act of 2009." It further said the ban represents “an attack on the integrity of the Commission and its immunity".

The committee for solidarity with political detainees organised a press conference following the protest at the headquarters of the opposition Haq party to condemn the ban of their peaceful protest.

The deputy secretary-general of the Congress Party Malik Abu al-Hassan told reporters that they were prevented by the security agents who ordered them to evacuate the area and “refused to listen to two NHRC’s members Mohamed al-Fatih and Mohamed Ahmed al-Shaieb who demanded to allow us to deliver our memo”.

Abu al-Hassan further read a the text of the memo which denounces “the terrible regression of human rights in Sudan” particularly the freedom of expression. The memo also expressed their concern about the conditions of political detainees, stressing that al-Sheikh’s heath has deteriorated sharply.

Also al-Sheikh’s wife, Amani Malik, said they were allowed visit him and found him in bad conditions, adding that he is held in solitary confinement.

The leader of the Congress Party is detained since two months in Al-Foula prison in West Kordofan. He had been transferred to Khartoum for medical reasons and was returned by the security forces there.

Also spoke at the press conference, a daughter of the NUP leader, Rabah al-Mahdi. She denounced the detention of her sister and deputy chairman, Meriam al-Mahdi, after her return from a meeting with rebel groups in Paris.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 18 August 2014 12:28, by Philosopherking

    Ateny never heard of that incident neither.....they just never hear what the people want, they never know what they are doing. Are South Sudanese free? How can the same government that claimed to have fought for these freedoms be the same one to deny its citizens the same freedoms and violate citizen rights? In South Sudan only the military and those associated to the president have rights.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Darfur Conflict: why Mbeki has to soberly reflect on the missing links 2015-03-25 21:31:44 By Trayo Ahmed Ali There is no way to deny the fact that the protracted Darfur conflict has, at certain junctures received sufficient international attention. Certainly the velocity of the (...)

How can the U.S. exercise leadership in South Sudan’s peace process? 2015-03-25 08:54:55 By: Amir Idris In light of the recent collapse of the peace process and the resumption of the military confrontations between the Government of South Sudan and the SPLM in Opposition, the United (...)

Sudan, the Obama Administration, and the costs of rapprochement 2015-03-25 08:54:43 By Eric Reeves Sudan holds elections in mid-April, including a vote for the next President. It is a foregone conclusion that the victor will be the same man who has ruled Sudan with an iron fist (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Seventy-six organizations call for publication of AU Inquiry Report as deadline for peace passes 2015-03-07 05:04:51 6 March 2015: FOR Immediate Release SOUTH SUDAN: The African Union (AU) Peace and Security Council (PSC) should immediately consider, publish and disseminate the final report of the Commission (...)

Archbishop Taban calls for reconciliation and forgiveness 2015-02-23 09:30:38 February 2015 Greetings from Peace Village, Kuron. It is really a Peace Village. I had my peaceful Christmas and a Prosperous New Year in Kuron. God really blessed the area with Peace. You can (...)

WFP appreciates US additional support for S. Sudan’s hungry 2015-02-19 08:20:15 17 February 2015 (JUBA)- The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has welcomed a contribution of US$165.5 million from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to feed (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.