Home | News    Monday 18 August 2014

S. Sudan rebels warn army to cease attacks or face reprisals

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

August 17, 2014 (KAMPALA) – Rebels from South Sudan’s Unity state claimed they have withdrawn from a 2km zone around the twin towns of Bentiu and Rubkotna after government forces launched attacks on their positions in Guit, Nhialdiu and Kaljak on Friday.

JPEG - 11.6 kb
Soldiers from the South Sudanese army (SPLA) disembark from a pick-up truck in Unity state capital Bentiu on 12 January 2014 (Photo: Reuters/Andreea Campeanu)

Speaking by satellite phone on Sunday from an undisclosed location, Mayom county MP Peter Dak Khan told Sudan Tribune that rebel fighters had been forced to retaliate after frequent attacks by pro-government forces.

He said rebel forces had now surrounded the town, warning of further strikes on the town should the South Sudanese army (SPLA) launch any further attacks.

“We have not gone very far, we are around Bentiu, but we are only coming back when they (the SPLA) attack our position,” said Khan.

The rebel group claim it remains committed to achieving a peaceful settlement to the eight-month-long conflicts, accusing the government of failing to implement a January ceasefire agreement by launching attacks on their positions in several locations across Unity state.

On Friday, rebel forces claimed to have captured both towns after flushing out government troops east of Rubkotna county.

Many residents sheltering at the UN camp in the town have confirmed the presence of rebel fighters since Friday to Sudan Tribune.

Conflicting reports have emerged following the latest outbreak of violence in Unity state, with both sides claiming to be in control of the towns.

A senior government official in the ruling party (SPLM) from Unity state has blamed rebels for violating the cessation of hostilities agreement.

“Everything like foods, heavy weapons and big trucks loaded with fuel are all looted by rebels. The rebels are still close with us anytime we will engage in fighting. They have not gone very far,” the official said on condition of anonymity.

According to the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS), fighting broke out between 6:30am and 9:00am (local time) on Friday, involving the use of heavy, sustained small arms and artillery fire, which could be heard to the south-east of its base in Bentiu. One artillery shell reportedly exploded next to the UN base without harm.

It has condemned the latest violence, urging both parties to remain calm and refrain from further military action that may harm civilians in the area or impede humanitarian access.

One resident from the UN camp in Rubkotna told Sudan Tribune that rebel forces had apparently disappeared 12 hours after capturing both towns, with the SPLA reappearing on Saturday following the withdrawal.

Oil-rich Unity state has been a flashpoint for violence since the conflict erupted in mid-December last year following a political dispute within the SPLM, with Bentiu changing hands several times at the height of the crisis.

Thousands of civilians were forced to abandon homes after heavy fighting between pro-government and opposition forces in the Upper Nile region, which has been hard-hit by the conflict.

The latest fighting erupted a day after a delegation from the UN Security Council visited the country.

(ST)

- Rival S. Sudan forces trade accusations over fresh clashes
- Heavy fighting breaks out in South Sudan as sanctions loom

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 18 August 10:52, by Wicdail

    We always told you that don’t play with fire (Nuers). Kirr and his thugs created this war against Nuers and their allies, thinking that they may crush us with a short period of times, with the help of their hired food lover M7 and his likes. Where are they now? The good news is that Gen. Gadet will deal with Nuer traitors before the end of September 2014. And then, Kirr will remain naked. LOOL!!!!

    repondre message

    • 18 August 11:40, by Ayom Ayom

      Rebel new plan wet season offensive was intercepted by the government intelligent in advance that gave SPLA forces an upper hand for earlier preparation and defeat rebels in all the outskirt forces in Bintiu & Ayod that were targeted by rebels.
      Launching counter-offensive attack against each other is most likely expected should deadline expire 28th August 2014. More disaster

      repondre message

    • 18 August 11:43, by Frak Cho

      Propaganda war will never help you people, instead you are killing your pple in big numbers.
      Even a mad man will not believe you that rebels over run Bentiu, then withdraw leaving the town empity and then government troops entered the town after rebels left!!!!!!

      repondre message

  • 18 August 23:06, by tootke’bai-ngo

    HMMM! SMART REBELS, HUH! RESORTING TO HIT AND RUN, TYPICAL GURRILA WAR. KIIR WILL HAVE HARD TIME FIGHTING THIS KIND OF WAR, EVERY WEAPON HE BUY, THE REBELS WILL TAKE HALF OF IT. KIIR LOST SOLDIERS, WEAPONS, FUEL AND FOODS IN SUCH SHORTAGE PERIOD ATTACK. REBELS GOT ALL THEY NEED(GUNS,FUEL & FOOD)AND AVOIDED BEING SANCTION BY UNSC BY PULLING OUT OF BENTIU, SMART MOVE. JUST DON’T KILL CIVILIANS.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


World’s newest nation has unprecedented opportunity to end sexual violence in conflict 2014-10-17 21:34:44 By Zainab Hawa Bangura October 17, 2014 - As United Nations Special Representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG) on Sexual Violence in Conflict, I completed my first trip to South Sudan last (...)

Celebrate the golden jubilee of the October 1964 Sudanese revolution 2014-10-17 21:34:32 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman October 17, 2014 - Despite the dearth and lack of what needs celebration and rejoice in the reign of the National Congress Party (NCP) regime led by the tyrant genocidal (...)

Sudan, Iran, the Obama Administration, and Khartoum’s political vision" 2014-10-16 09:05:01 More about what we learn from the leaked minutes of the August 31 meeting bringing together Khartoum's most senior military and security officials By Eric Reeves October 15, 2014 - The document (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan Democracy First Group condemns wave of arbitrary arrests in Sudan 2014-09-25 05:17:35 Sudan Democracy First Group 25 September 2014 - In a desperate attempt to prevent a series of events commemorating the victims of the September 2013 protests, Sudan’s notorious National (...)

HRW calls on UN rights body to press Sudan to investigate murder of peaceful protesters 2014-09-24 21:24:09 Human Rights Watch One Year On, No Justice for Protester Deaths (Geneva, September 23, 2014) – The United Nations Human Rights Council should call on Sudan to account immediately for the death (...)

Hundreds walk for peace in South Sudan 2014-09-23 08:30:16 National Platform for Peace and Reconciliation (NPPR) PRESS RELEASE Juba, 21 September 2014 - Hundreds of people took to the streets of the South Sudan capital Jubato ‘Walk for Peace’and demand (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.