Home | News    Thursday 14 August 2014

Site of S. Sudan aid worker killings remains calm, says UN

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

August 13, 2014 (NEW YORK) – The UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) has reported that the situation in Maban county’s Bunj, where several aid workers were killed last week, remains calm, UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric told a press briefing in New York on Wednesday.

JPEG - 27.7 kb
Food is distributed at a refugee site in South Sudan’s Upper Nile state (Photo: WFP/Ahnna Gudmunds)

UNMISS is continuing to carry out daily patrols close to refugee camps and in Bunj town, with the agency extracting a humanitarian aid worker from Kaya refugee camp on Tuesday.

“Our humanitarian colleagues tell us that aid agencies are still operating with minimal staff due to the tense security environment, but essential humanitarian operations are continuing in the four camps,” said Dujarric.

The UN began evacuating some 220 non-essential staff and aid workers last Wednesday after at least five aid workers were killed.

Local militia group the Mabanese Defence Forces have been blamed for carrying out the killings, which came one day after another aid worker was murdered in the same area.

Gabriel Yien Gach, a South Sudanese national who worked for Norwegian People’s Aid (NPA), was dragged from an NPA vehicle and shot dead last Monday after identifying himself as a member of the Nuer ethnic group.

The militia group appears to be targeting civilians of Nuer origin after it clashed with Nuer soldiers defecting from the South Sudanese army (SPLA) a week ago.

The killings have outraged the UN, with the Security Council warning that attacks against humanitarian personnel may constitute a war crime.

During a recent visit to Bunj, the UN humanitarian coordinator for South Sudan, Toby Lanzer, said the humanitarian community was committed to staying in Maban, and in other areas affected by the conflict, but that aid workers had to be able to do their work in safety.

According to Dujarric, there have also been reports of small arms and mortar fire in the strategic Upper Nile town of Nasir on Wednesday.

The fire, which appeared to be coming from the direction of a South Sudanese army (SPLA) military camp, was believed to be directed towards the Sobat River as well as Nassir market.

Conflict has been raging in South Sudan since mid-December last year after a political rift in the country’s ruling party (SPLM) turned violent, reigniting tribal tensions across the country.

Ongoing peace talks have failed to halt the violence, with aid agencies warning the country is now facing a humanitarian catastrophe.

Meanwhile, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) reports that aid agencies are preparing to send a rapid response team to provide food, health and other emergency assistance to people in Upper Nile state’s Longochuk county in response to reports of exceptionally high levels of malnutrition there.

Upper Nile State has the highest annual number of acute malnutrition cases in South Sudan.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


ARCSS and HLRF: last or lost chance for peace in South Sudan? 2017-12-14 05:02:15 By James Okuk “Tell people in power that something they tried didn’t work as expected” – Peter Ross. “A state without the means of some change is without the means of its conservation” – Edmund (...)

Response to Bona Malual statements on Abyei 2017-12-11 20:24:24 By Hon Arop Madut Arop As I was reading the last proof of my new book on the Ngok Dinka history, which is currently with the printers, somebody sent me a recorded voice message purportedly given (...)

Is Jieng Council of Elders responsible for South Sudan crisis? 2017-12-10 17:59:57 By Samuel Maker Amuor Silence means acceptance! It takes less than a minute for one to come across Jieng council of elders’ meddle on national affairs as they claim. Either through social media (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


South Sudanese rights group call to release political detainees 2017-12-10 07:50:31 THE INTERNATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS DAY: 10 DECEMBER 2017: SSHURSA CALLS ON ALL TO ACTION FOR SOUTH SUDANESE The 10 December usually marks the international human rights day. SSHURSA notes with (...)

Reactions to government agencies’ conspiracy against Greater Bor community 2017-10-08 07:54:31 By Manyok Abraham Thuch & Kuch Kuol Deng A monkey business or a donkey business in the government of the republic of South Sudan against the citizens is unacceptable. Therefore, we as youth (...)

Amnesty calls to release Nubian activists detained over protest for cultural rights 2017-09-12 20:47:54 AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL PRESS RELEASE 12 September 2017 Egypt: Release 24 Nubian activists detained after protest calling for respect of their cultural rights Egyptian authorities should (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2017 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.