Home | News    Tuesday 12 August 2014

US condemns S. Sudan’s warring parties for failing to reach peace deal


August 11, 2014 (WASHINGTON) – US secretary of state John Kerry has strongly condemned the failure of South Sudan’s warring parties to meet a deadline to reach a peaceful settlement to end the eight-month-long conflict.

JPEG - 20.8 kb
US secretary of state John Kerry (Photo: Daniel Getachew/EPA)

On 10 June, president Salva Kiir and his former vice president agreed, in a meeting attended by the IGAD heads of states and governments to complete peace negotiations and to form a transitional government of national unity within 60 days.

However the mediation adjourned the talks indefinitely after the rejection of the SPLM/A in opposition to participate in multi-stakeholder negotiations, demanding direct talks with the government saying the others political and civil society groups should have a consultative role.

The peace process resumed on 4 August and the two sides said the mediation agreed that the two warring parties hold direct talks without the participation of the other stakeholders .

In a statement issued on Monday, Kerry denounced the delay of the parties to meet their commitment, saying neither party engaged in peace talks seriously.

“Along with my troika colleagues from Norway and the United Kingdom, we condemn these failures,” he said. “This is an outrage and an insult to the people of South Sudan. Their leaders are letting them down again and again,” he added.

He further called on IGAD and the African Union to take the “appropriate action” saying the African leaders have previously called for punitive measures if the parties failed to secure peace by the agreed deadline.

We’re well past the point where enough is enough,” he further stressed.

The US top diplomat pointed that the peace process is taking place since six months while civilians continue to suffer from the ongoing fighting in the country.

UN agencies estimate that over 1.5 million people have been displaced and some 400,000 people have fled across borders to neighbouring countries.

On 6 August, the deputy U.N. peacekeeping chief Edmond Mulet told the UN Security Council (UNSC) that “after three years of independence, South Sudan is on the brink of a humanitarian catastrophe and a protracted internal conflict”.

He further said the humanitarian operation in South Sudan is now constitutes “the biggest aid operation inside any single country”.


Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 12 August 2014 08:27, by Mr Point

    Both leaders should be blamed for not reaching a peace deal to end this senseless war.

    One leader, Kiir the killer, should be blamed for starting this senseless war with the murder of civilians in December.

    repondre message

    • 12 August 2014 10:46, by Wicdail

      How could a dateline shouldn’t passed when you (Kerry) calling this primitive militant(Kirr) an elected president? Is it not a conspiracy against black African and South Sudanese in particular? Why do you wish a predator to rule over his preys; something which had never happen in the West in modern times? Slaughtering your electorate and still claiming legitimacy? What a ignorant?

      repondre message

  • 12 August 2014 16:40, by Realist

    Wicdail, you are right. Both Kiir and Riek are responsible for the mess in S. Sudan. Therefore, both should go.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.

Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis

SOUTH SUDAN: peace or genocide? 2015-10-07 12:59:30 By Richard Moula President Salva Kiir of South Sudan has once again declared a war of genocide and ethnic cleansing on the small ethnic tribe of Moru in Western Equatoria. As from 16th (...)

G-10 critique of establishment order is a complete baloney 2015-10-07 12:59:22 By Gordon Buay Muolana John Luk must be joking to argue that the Establishment Order that created the 28 states violated South Sudan Transitional Constitution without admitting that the (...)

Why rejecting creation of more states in South Sudan? 2015-10-05 16:31:37 By Peter Gai Manyuon South Sudanese president Salva Kiir has unilaterally decreed expansion of the current Ten (10) states to 28 federal states in the country in an unexpected move announced on (...)


Latest Press Releases

S. Sudan civil society groups to the 28 states issue to constitutional body 2015-10-08 17:26:10 South Sudan Civil Society Organizations Submission on the Creation of 28 States in the Republic of South Sudan Press Statement For immediate Release 8th October 2015 Following the announcement (...)

Sudan Democracy First Group Statement on The International Day for Democracy 2015-10-01 22:18:58 22 September 2015 Sudan Democracy First Group (SDFG) commemorated on 15 September 2015 the International Day for Democracy, which the United Nations (UN) marks as a day to encourage governments (...)

Ambassador Buay congratulates South Sudanese diplomats for blocking sanctions 2015-09-19 00:20:30 SOUTH SUDAN DIPLOMATS IN MOSCOW SHOULD BE CONGRATULATED FOR PERSUADING THE FEDERATION OF RUSSIA TO BLOCK SANCTIONS For Immediate Release 9/18/2015 The people of South Sudan are extremely (...)


Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.