Home | News    Saturday 9 August 2014

S. Sudan political parties object to the restriction of peace talks

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

August 8, 2014 (JUBA) – South Sudanese political parties have objected to a proposal seeking to limit ongoing peace talks between the country’s two conflicting parties, accusing the warring sides of adopting a divisive approach to resolving the conflict.

JPEG - 11.9 kb
Lam Akol who heads the opposition SPLM-DC party (splm-dc)

Lam Akol, the leader of all South Sudanese opposition parties, said the latest round of talks in the Ethiopian capital, was convened with the full understanding that all parties have agreed on a multi-stakeholder roundtable peace talks as the format to bring about just and sustainable peace to the war in the country.

“Little did the South Sudanese know that the warring parties were up again at their delaying tactics while our people continue to die daily as a result of the war they have imposed on the South Sudanese for nothing other than fighting over power”, Akol said in a statement Sudan Tribune obtained.

The opposition leader insisted that Sudan People’s Liberation in opposition delegation demanded that negotiations with their government counterparts take place without direct participation of other stakeholders.

On its part, however, the government delegation said it would not take part in any meeting of stakeholders that excludes the opposition.

“The position of the government delegation became clearer on Wednesday when the Leader of their delegation delivered a letter to the special envoys that they be given opportunity to engage with SPLM/A-I-O delegation and that whatever they agree on need not be reported to the plenary of all the stakeholders as contained in the summary consensus on the format and agenda of the talks,” said Akol.

“In other words, the government delegation has back-tracked from its position a day earlier and come out clearly against multi-stakeholders format”, added the opposition leader.

He accused the rival warring parties of adopting divisive approach to resolving the conflict he said was imposed on the people and the country over power struggle within the ruling party.

“By insisting on bilateral talks between them, the two warring parties are in effect dividing the people of South Sudan into first class and second class citizens in determining their future. The two parties are arrogating to themselves the right to decide on behalf of the people simply because they carry guns, and those who do not are to accept their whims,” the opposition leader stressed in his statement.

It adds, “We totally reject this misguided notion. We believe that South Sudan belongs to all its citizens and all of them have a fundamental right to be part of any process that shapes the future of their country”.

According to Akol, the necessity for participation of the other stakeholders in the talks because the problem being discussed did not start on the 15th of December 2013 but that was just a spark.

“The problems are deeply rooted in the way this land mass called South Sudan was misgoverned since 2005. Both parties to the current armed conflict and the resulting crisis were together in charge for eight years since then, and it is an abuse to the intelligence of our people for them to think that they alone can be trusted to sort out the mess they created”, he argued.

He however maintained that the way forward was to adhere to the multi-stakeholder roundtable format as the only way to conduct the talks and ensure that talks are convened immediately with the stakeholders who are ready to take part.

“We must all together demonstrate our resolve that South Sudan will not and cannot be held at ransom by anybody, group of people or party. Our people are yearning for peace and peace they deserve and must get. As political parties, we shall spare no effort to see that the IGAD mediation is crowned with success”, he stressed.

REBELS REFUTE CLAIMS

Meanwhile rebels led by former vice-president Riek Machar refuted “assertion” by the mediators that the group had backtracked from their commitment to the inclusive stakeholders peace process, saying this was a mere “misrepresentation”.

In a press statement by the rebels’ information and public relations chairperson, Mabior Garang de Mabior released on Wednesday, the opposition group reiterated their position for direct bilateral negotiations with the government.

The mediators, in a press release issued on 5 August, announced that the SPLM/A in opposition failed to attend the peace talks and urged them to return to the negotiation table.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 9 August 2014 09:27, by jur_likang_a_ likan’g

    Dr Lam Akol is 100% right. The people of South Sudan expect nothing less than an agreement made by all representatives of South Sudan parties. The two warring parties are part of those parties that need to be present in deliberation of the problem of our country. Lam expose to the world what these people are really fighting for. We do not see anymore lies and bloodshed.

    repondre message

    • 9 August 2014 13:04, by Wicdail

      Telling me which armed conflict has ever been achieved through such format installed by M7 influence? How come they don’t listen to concern group? Dr Lam shouldn’t cry out there, he could have been the interim leader if he could stand firm as opposition leader. When did he become independent opposition leader? While he was been fascinated by Kirr’s regime and became of part of its delegations.LOOL

      repondre message

      • 10 August 2014 06:09, by jur_likang_a_ likan’g

        Mr Wicdail,

        This war should not be a way to plunder the top political leadership of the country. It should be about instituting a correct governance to the people where freedom, justice, and independence become the cornerstone of foundation of our country. It should not be only about Kiir, Riek and Lam Akol. South Sudan lives long after the three disappear from the planet. it is about the future.

        repondre message

  • 9 August 2014 17:15, by Realist

    Dr. Lam is right. This mess was created by both Kiir and Machar. They shouldn’t be allow to decide the fate of others alone.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Blue Nile State: Under Fire 2015-05-28 15:15:54 By Sudan Democracy First Group Before Al Gareeda newspaper was indefinitely suspended by the National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS), as part of a mass censorship of Khartoum (...)

Somaliland’s return to authoritarianism 2015-05-28 06:33:47 By Abdirahman Mohamed Dirye Multiparty politics were introduced in Somaliland a decade and half ago following collective effort to ease power conflict and enhance accountability. Somaliland (...)

Sudan’s ulterior motives in joining Arab military alliance 2015-05-28 06:33:18 By Trayo A. Ali As I am diving into and trying to fish out the hidden agenda the Sudan government that it wishes to pass them through the armpits of newly speculated Arab military grouping that (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Launch of new nutritional project to support hard-hit older persons in South Sudan 2015-05-27 09:01:33 HelpAge International For immediate Release Nairobi/Juba, Tuesday May 26, 2015: HelpAge International and its partner, the Islamic Relief will on Wednesday, May 27th, 2015launch a three year (...)

European Union helps treat malnutrition in Sudan 2015-05-25 06:49:48 WFP Press Release European Union helps treat malnutrition among Sudan’s most vulnerable 24 May 2015 KHARTOUM - The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today welcomed a contribution of €9 (...)

HRW calls to stop arbitrary detention in Sudan 2015-04-30 21:53:00 Sudan: Surge in Detention, Beatings, Around Elections Free Those Held Arbitrarily; Investigate Abuses (Nairobi, April 29, 2015) – Security forces in Sudan<https://www.hrw.org/africa/sudan> (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.