Home | News    Saturday 9 August 2014

Sudanese in Libya plead to be evacuated

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

August 8, 2014 (KHARTOUM) – A committee calling itself representative of Sudanese stranded in Libya issued a statement today calling on the government to evacuate its citizens from areas witnessing clashes between armed groups.

JPEG - 16.7 kb
A man has his wound washed after being injured during clashes at a demonstration between protesters in support of former rebel fighters and supporters of "Operation Dignity" led by general Khalifa Haftar in Tripoli on 8 August 2014 (Photo: Reuters/Hani Amara)

The statement stressed that all diplomatic missions have evacuated their citizens from Libya thanks to quick action from their governments except the Sudanese one because of its refusal to assume responsibility towards its citizens.

But the secretary-general of the commission for Sudanese working abroad, Haj Majid Siwar, denied that Sudanese in Libya are asking to be airlifted back home.

Last Tuesday the Sudanese cabinet declared following an extraordinary session, that the government is willing to evacuate citizens living in Libya when requested to do so.

The Sudanese foreign minister, Ali Karti, said in a statement last week that the situation in Libya has not yet reached the stage requiring the evacuation of its citizens.

Last Friday, about 200 Sudanese gathered at the Meetiga airport demanding that they be evacuated back home.

The government also confirmed the demise of 18 Sudanese in Libya after a rocket was fired on a residence at al-Kareemiya suburb of the capital, Tripoli.

Committee spokesman al-Tayeb Ahmed Ishaq disclosed that there are dozens of injured Sudanese needing medical attention.

He also noted the presence of tens of thousands of Sudanese trapped in areas of clashes in both Benghazi and Tripoli among other regions in the country that are now deserted due to the displacement of people as a result of the interruption of electricity, water services and telecommunications and closure of shops.

Ishaq warned of dire humanitarian crisis without the intervention of the United Nations and other organizations soon.

Since the fall of Gaddafi in 2011, Libya’s fragile government is unable to impose authority on groups of former rebels who refuse to disband and are allied with competing political factions battling for post-war dominance.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 9 August 09:03, by ForAll

    The Sudanese Foreign Minister Ali Karti said in a statement last week that the situation in Libya has not yet reached the stage requiring the evacuation of its citizens.

    All western countries have evaluated their citizens for the land of wars that called Libya.
    Citizenship of Sudanese peoples requires the evacuation of every Sudanese based on the constitution of 1956.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


World’s newest nation has unprecedented opportunity to end sexual violence in conflict 2014-10-17 21:34:44 By Zainab Hawa Bangura October 17, 2014 - As United Nations Special Representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG) on Sexual Violence in Conflict, I completed my first trip to South Sudan last (...)

Celebrate the golden jubilee of the October 1964 Sudanese revolution 2014-10-17 21:34:32 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman October 17, 2014 - Despite the dearth and lack of what needs celebration and rejoice in the reign of the National Congress Party (NCP) regime led by the tyrant genocidal (...)

Sudan, Iran, the Obama Administration, and Khartoum’s political vision" 2014-10-16 09:05:01 More about what we learn from the leaked minutes of the August 31 meeting bringing together Khartoum's most senior military and security officials By Eric Reeves October 15, 2014 - The document (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan Democracy First Group condemns wave of arbitrary arrests in Sudan 2014-09-25 05:17:35 Sudan Democracy First Group 25 September 2014 - In a desperate attempt to prevent a series of events commemorating the victims of the September 2013 protests, Sudan’s notorious National (...)

HRW calls on UN rights body to press Sudan to investigate murder of peaceful protesters 2014-09-24 21:24:09 Human Rights Watch One Year On, No Justice for Protester Deaths (Geneva, September 23, 2014) – The United Nations Human Rights Council should call on Sudan to account immediately for the death (...)

Hundreds walk for peace in South Sudan 2014-09-23 08:30:16 National Platform for Peace and Reconciliation (NPPR) PRESS RELEASE Juba, 21 September 2014 - Hundreds of people took to the streets of the South Sudan capital Jubato ‘Walk for Peace’and demand (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.