Home | News    Friday 1 August 2014

UK minister calls for immediate ceasefire in S. Sudan

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

July 31, 2014 (JUBA) – South Sudan risks facing famine unless its conflicting parties adopt immediate ceasefire for lasting peace, the United Kingdom minister for Africa warned on Thursday.

JPEG - 20.5 kb
British Minister for Africa Mark Simmonds holds a press conference at the end of an official visit to Sudan in the capital Khartoum on January 16, 2014 (AFP Photo/Ebrahim Hamid)

Mark Simmonds, in a statement issued ahead of the planned restart of South Sudan’s peace talks in Ethiopia, called on all parties to the talks to negotiate in good faith, stressing the terrible humanitarian consequences of the ongoing conflict the country’s leaders fail to reach a compromise.

“I welcome the upcoming restart of peace talks under the leadership of the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD). It is vital that all participants engage fully and constructively in this process and find a solution that benefits all the people of South Sudan”, said Simmonds in a statement.

First and foremost, the talks must mean that fighting ceases, this time for good. I join with IGAD in condemning the outbreak of violence that occurred in Nasir last week, a further dangerous departure from the cessation of hostilities, added the UK minister.

South Sudan’s crisis, now in its seventh month, has killed thousands and displaced over 1.5 million people internally and into neighbouring countries, aid agencies say.

Already, the United Nations UN estimates that 4 million people are facing crisis or emergency food insecurity levels and that the young nation currently faces the "worst famine in the world".

A new round of peace talks between South Sudan’s warring parties has been delayed, but officials from the rebel movement and the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) say they expect negotiations to resume on Monday next week. Talks were scheduled to resume on 30 July in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa.

Simmonds, however, stressed that the next round of talks must go beyond just ceasefires and set the framework for the lasting peace and good governance that the world’s youngest nation desperately needs.

The UK, the minister said, has already allocated £95m to the humanitarian response to the crisis in South Sudan and its neighbours, and is working in close coordination with our international partners, UN agencies, and the wider development community to support those in great need.

“We will continue to do so, and call on other members of the international community to play their part,” he stressed.

“But ultimately responsibility for finding solutions lies with the South Sudanese. If famine comes it will be man-made, the result of months of conflict that has driven people from their land in fear. The people of South Sudan deserve leaders who will listen, negotiate in good faith, and bring peace”, added the UK minister.

He appealed to South Sudan president, Salva Kiir, opposition leader, Riek Machar and other parties, to put aside their differences and give peace a chance.

(ST).

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 1 August 2014 06:31, by wang

    UK and those other world powers should focuses on removal of all those foreign invaded from our soil…..Somalia will be 10 times better than S. Sudan as long all those foreign armies still protecting this genocide regime in term of security

    repondre message

    • 1 August 2014 07:30, by Madina Tonj

      Wang, this is what your uncle Riek Machar Teny had said in 2005 in Rumbek conference. He said, there is no smoking without fire refers to his conflict with late chairman Dr. John Garang de Mabior. I don’t think the Somalian and Ugandans have caused this rebellion in South Sudan instead, your blaming must go directly to Hilde JohnSon and Riek Machar as well as Taban Deng Gai. Blame these people.

      repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Doubts remain over South Sudan peace talks 2015-03-04 21:22:01 By John A. Akec News of a possible end to South Sudan’s 11-month-old conflict was received with guarded optimism at the start of February, and there were good reasons for this. On January 21, (...)

What do we expect from the final South Sudan Peace Talks? 2015-02-27 08:41:32 By Luka Biong Deng As the alleged final and last round of peace talks on South Sudan commenced in Addis Ababa, the people of South Sudan attach little hope and expect nothing as they have been (...)

The Berlin Meeting: What’s at stake? 2015-02-25 11:33:06 By the Sudan Democracy First Group (SDFG) Between 25 and 27 February, Berlin will become the hub for the Sudanese unarmed and armed opposition, invited by the German Foreign Ministry and the (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Archbishop Taban calls for reconciliation and forgiveness 2015-02-23 09:30:38 February 2015 Greetings from Peace Village, Kuron. It is really a Peace Village. I had my peaceful Christmas and a Prosperous New Year in Kuron. God really blessed the area with Peace. You can (...)

WFP appreciates US additional support for S. Sudan’s hungry 2015-02-19 08:20:15 17 February 2015 (JUBA)- The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has welcomed a contribution of US$165.5 million from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to feed (...)

Press Release from the SPLM/A (IO) in Uganda 2015-02-11 09:39:09 February 10, 2015 1. The office of the SPLM/A (IO) and the presence of its diplomatic representation that was established under the Kampala outcome of the 21st August 2014 is operational and has (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.