Home | News    Thursday 31 July 2014

South Sudan peace talks may resume on Monday

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

July 30, 2014 (ADDIS ABABA/JUBA) – A new round of peace talks between South Sudan’s warring parties has been delayed, but officials from the rebel movement and the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) say they expect negotiations to resume Monday next week.

JPEG - 18.3 kb
Face to face talks between the South Sudanese government and rebels in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, resumed on 13 January 2014, with a secured a ceasefire agreement signed later that month (Photo: AFP/Carl De Souza)

The fourth round of negotiations between the South Sudanese government and the rebel faction led by former vice-president Riek Machar were scheduled to resume on Wednesday 30 July in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa.

“The talks are postponed to Monday, 4 August,” reliable sources told Sudan Tribune on condition of anonymity as they are not authorised to speak to the media.

IGAD, which is mediating the two conflicting parties, hasn’t yet officially given an explanation for the postponement.

In Juba, South Sudan’s Information minister, Michael Makuei Lueth, attributed the postponement of talks to logistical issues and the Eid-el-Fitr Muslim holiday.

The minister, in a short statement broadcast by SSTV Wednesday, reiterated Juba’s commitment to the peace process and expressed hopes to be in Addis Ababa between Thursday and Friday.

He however said circumstances under which the talks would resume remained unclear.

“We still don’t know whether it will be multi stakeholder dialogue or it will be limited to only the two parties, I mean rebels and the government. This is something we will know when we are in Addis [Ababa],” said Lueth.

The rebel delegation in Addis Ababa said they were ready to resume talks with the government delegation when the government side arrives at the venue of the negotiation venue.

Miyong Kuon, an aide to Machar said logistical arrangement presumably was a reason for the postponement of the talks. He further reaffirmed their readiness to rejoin the negotiating table at any time.

“Any delay of the talks has nothing to do with our side. However, Monday is more or less ideal time. It is not even a week away,” Kuon told Sudan Tribune.

An IGAD official who spoke on condition of anonymity not authorised to offer explanation to the media asking anonymity however told Sudan Tribune that the East African bloc has begun consulting with the special envoys to release a statement of explanation.

Mediators haven’t yet officially announced a new date for the resumption of talks. However, the IGAD official and rebel officials say the talks will resume on Monday, although there is yet to be any official confirmation.

The IGAD-led peace negotiations were initially supposed to resume last month, but were delayed after rebels pulled out of the talks in protest to what they alleged was IGAD’s failure to include exiled civil society organisations in the multi-stakeholders meeting last month in Addis Ababa.

The civil society groups based in Kenya, Ethiopia and Sudan on Tuesday concluded the selection process by electing seven representatives to participate in the peace process.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 31 July 2014 08:28, by Mi diit

    Government delegation should negotiate in good faith this time. IGAD mediation should ensure this. Root causes of the conflict must be addressed. Kiir declared illegitimate president. Federalism must be on the table, with reforms. Interim leadership comes as last in the agenda. I am organizing a protest against Kiir’s visit here in Washington DC.

    repondre message

    • 31 July 2014 12:35, by Mayom County Boy

      My brother Madiit please call for peace to come ,
      instead of calling war.
      because if war continuous it may affect every body, including your forces who are fighting on front line .

      repondre message

  • 31 July 2014 15:53, by hamil

    If the 2 warring parties really care about this Nation and it’s people they have to agree on a genuine peace deal to end the mess in our country. We are always left anxious for positive news to emerge but all we get are news of failed negotiations. The only way to melt the anger in the hearts of our people is by ending this war and doing what the citizens cry for not what our leaders think is best

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


South Sudan: Strategic choice between bribery and right to self-determination for Saharawi people 2017-01-22 22:03:05 By Beny Gideon Mabor, Esq Western Sahara known as Saharan Arab Democratic Republic (SADR) was Spanish protectorate in the Maghreb region of North Africa. It is situated north of Kingdom of (...)

Armed Struggle and Civil Resistance in Sudan: A catch 22 situation 2017-01-22 08:22:12 By Elwathig Kameir 1. The Sudan People's Liberation Movement-North (SPLM-N) issued a press statement, on Jan. 17, declining a US initiative (of which I have seen a copy) for the delivery and (...)

Civil lawsuit on behalf of Sudanese victims against BNP Paribas 2017-01-22 08:13:14 Civil lawsuit on behalf of Sudanese victims of Khartoum's atrocity crimes brought against BNP Paribas in U.S. Federal District Court (filed January 20, 2017) By Eric Reeves The civil suit (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Abduction of S. Sudan Chief Justice’s aide illegal, should be condemned 2017-01-16 05:27:50 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 16th January 2015 Legal Watch Associates South Sudan has learned with shock and dismay the abduction of Mr Gama Thomas, an aide to the Chief Justice, Chan Reech Madut. (...)

Carter Center welcomes new regulations on humanitarian affairs 2017-01-12 07:53:16 The Carter Center ATLANTA, Januarg 11, 2017 – The Carter Center welcomes the recent regulations issued by the government of Sudan aimed at facilitating humanitarian relief throughout the country (...)

Nertiti massacre in Central Darfur exposes the criminal nature of Bashir’s regime 2017-01-03 11:54:47 Sudan Democracy First Group Nirtiti massacre in Central Darfur exposes the criminal nature of Bashir's regime 2 January 2017 On the first day of 2016, and only one day after President Bashir's (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2017 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.