Home | News    Sunday 27 July 2014

S. Sudan expects UN Security Council visit in September

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

July 26, 2014 (JUBA) – The South Sudanese government has announced an expected high-level visit by key members of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).

JPEG - 23.3 kb
UN secretary-general Ban Ki-moon briefs the SEcurity Council on his visit to South Sudan in May 2014 to sound the alarm about the violence and the risk of catastrophic famine (Photo: UN//Devra Berkowitz)

The visit comes more than seven months after violence erupted in the capital, Juba, following a political split in the ruling SPLM, which quickly spread throughout the country, reigniting tribal tensions.

The exact date and circumstances of the visit remain unclear, although the spokesperson for the ministry of foreign affairs, Mawien Makol, said it would take place in September.

“They (the UNSC) will come in September and will be stay for two days. They will visit areas affected by the conflict and the areas which have not been affected by the conflict. They will visit both places so that they get to know for themselves what actually took place from the first-hand information,” Makol told Sudan Tribune on Saturday, adding that the delegation are also expected to meet with representatives of civil society organisations and other groups.

If it goes ahead, the visit will be the first of its kind since the eruption of violence in mid-December last year, which initially broke out within the ranks of the presidential guard forces.

The fighting has pitted government troops loyal to president Salva Kiir against rebel forces aligned with former vice-president Riek Machar.

The conflict has thousands of innocent civilians, predominantly women and children, to seek refuge inside UN camps in South Sudan. Millions of others have also fled to neighbouring foreign countries in search of security and safety, while an estimated 100,000 lives have been lost.

The fighting has severely disrupted agricultural activities and caused widespread destruction to public property, most of which has been damaged beyond repair, rendering schools, health centres and other key infrastructure unable to function.

A January ceasefire deal and ongoing peace talks between the warring parties have so far failed to halt the violence on the ground.

There has been renewed fighting between rebels and government forces in Upper Nile’s Nasir town since last week, with both sides claiming to be in control. The government has warned it would launch a counter-offensive against rebel positions.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 27 July 2014 12:15, by Ayuiu Makuac Lam

    UNSC indeed trying to inject the really gennocidial in south Sudan to face the court, and might be Riek Machar will be victims.

    repondre message

    • 27 July 2014 12:56, by Rami Tot

      UNSC which includes China which has just fuel the conflict by supplying arms to government of south sudan will help any more

      repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


A brief history one man’s destructive misrepresentations 2015-04-18 08:07:54 By Eric Reeves Al Jazeera America is currently airing a two-part documentary that attempts to represent the character and causes of the catastrophe that has overtaken South Sudan following the (...)

Sudan’s election marred by arbitrary detention, and insecurity 2015-04-18 06:31:10 By African Centre for Justice and Peace Studies Sudan’s national general elections began on 13 April 2015. Scheduled to end on 15 April, they were extended one day by the National Elections (...)

President Bashir’s elections: victory by default 2015-04-16 21:24:18 By Magdi El Gizouli Two days before the start of polling in Sudan’s ongoing elections on 13 April a quarter-page insert in the Khartoum newspaper al-Intibaha congratulated the former finance (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudanese security arrest rights defender Adil Bakheit 2015-04-18 08:04:21 FRONT-LINE DEFENDRSPress StatementSudan Human rights defender Adil Bakheit arrested Human rights defender Mr Adil Bakheit was arrested on 16 April 2015 by the National Intelligence and Security (...)

Which do you choose? Peace or War? 2015-04-18 06:16:42 To the South Sudanese Diaspora Which do you choose? Peace or War? Coalition of Advocates for South Sudan, April 11, 2015 “The Voice of the South Sudanese Diaspora” Who are/What is the South (...)

Seventy-six organizations call for publication of AU Inquiry Report as deadline for peace passes 2015-03-07 05:04:51 6 March 2015: FOR Immediate Release SOUTH SUDAN: The African Union (AU) Peace and Security Council (PSC) should immediately consider, publish and disseminate the final report of the Commission (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.