Home | News    Saturday 26 July 2014

Aid agencies demand assistance for children in S. Sudan

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

July 25, 2014 (JUBA) – Heads of the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and World Food Programme (WFP) said children severely malnourished and mothers affected by the South Sudanese conflict urgently need help.

JPEG - 30.4 kb
Children wait to receive a measles vaccine at the UNMISS camp in Bor, the capital of South Sudan’s Jonglei state (Photo: UNICEF)

“The world should not wait for a famine to be announced while children here are dying each and every day,” said UNICEF executive director Anthony Lake, who visited the Upper Nile state capital, Malakal, where tens of thousands are sheltered at a UN base.

"Today we spoke to mothers who have struggled through conflict, displacement and hunger to stop their children dying. We all have to do more, and quickly, to keep more children alive”, he added.

There are already fears that the world is allowing a repeat of what occurred in Somalia and the Horn of Africa just three years ago; when early warnings of extreme hunger and escalating malnutrition went largely unheeded until official famine levels were announced.

"WFP, UNICEF and our partners here on the ground have been working tirelessly to bring assistance to those suffering the consequences of this conflict and we are ready to do more and to reach more," said WFP’s executive director, Ertharin Cousin.

"But if we are to rapidly expand our operations and save more lives, then we need more resources, and the international community has to act now."

Nearly 1.5 million people, aid agencies say, have been forced out of their homes since violence broke out in South Sudan late last year, while over 50,000 children below five years reportedly risk dying from malnutrition this year.

“If the world fails to provide the help needed right now to accelerate and scale up life-saving food and nutrition efforts, UNICEF estimates that 50,000 children could die from malnutrition in the course of this year”, reads a statement jointly issued by WFP and UNICEF.

At least 3.9 million people in South Sudan risk facing starvation, which could hit “catastrophic” levels, if peaceful negotiations to end fighting is not concluded, the United States warned.

Members of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) on Friday described the “catastrophic” food insecurity situation in South Sudan as being the “worst” in the world. Additionally, the lack of access to health care and safe water and sanitation facilities is reportedly putting children at a dangerously high risk of acute malnutrition.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Invisible, Forgotten, and Suffering: Darfuri Refugees in Eastern Chad 2016-04-28 18:24:28 By Eric Reeves There are more than 20 million refugees worldwide—and half of them are children. Moreover, according to the UN High Commission for refugees, 86 percent of these refuges are in (...)

Return of Dr. Machar to Juba and next political move 2016-04-26 22:23:10 By James Okuk After exhausting the immature dramatic politicking about return of Dr. Riek Machar to Juba to take up his duties as the First Vice President of the Republic of South Sudan for 30 (...)

Darfur referendum results are nothing but foregone conclusion 2016-04-25 21:27:20 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman The News media owned by the ruling regime of the National Congress Party (NCP) are quoted as saying that the people of the Darfur in the region that doomed by civil wars (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Open Letter to President Salva Kiir and 1st Vice President Dr. Riek Machar 2016-04-18 12:36:12 South Sudan Women United April 15, 2016 Your Excellencies: South Sudan Women United writes to congratulate you both on the steps you are taking towards ending violence in South Sudan and (...)

Report on a tour of the SPLM-N secretary-general in the Nuba Mountains 2016-04-02 07:11:03 Sudan Peoples’ Liberation Movement – North (SPLM-N) *** Nuba Mountains of South Kordofan March 30, 2016 · The SPLM-N is for peace, but the Addis Ababa Agreement will co-opt the opposition into the (...)

Sudan: Silencing women rights defenders 2016-03-31 20:22:15 Human Rights Watch Sudan: Silencing Women Rights Defenders Sexual Abuse, Intimidation by Security Forces (Nairobi, March 24, 2016) – Sudanese security forces have used sexual violence, (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2016 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.