Home | News    Monday 21 July 2014

Sudanese journalists protest against attack on Al-Tayyar newspaper

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

July 20, 2014 (KHARTOUM) – Hundreds of Sudanese journalists have demonstrated in the capital, Khartoum on Sunday to protest against the assault carried out by unknown gunmen against the editor-in-chief of Al-Tayyar newspaper, Osman Mirghani.

JPEG - 35.2 kb
Sudanese journalists demonstrate outside Al-Tayyar’s building in Khartoum on 20 July 2014 (ST)

A group of masked gunmen on Saturday stormed the building of Al-Tayyar daily newspaper in Khartoum and assaulted Mirghani. They also confiscated all cellular phones and laptops of the newspaper’s staff and attacked several journalists before leaving.

About 500 journalists had gathered outside Al-Tayyar headquarters in Khartoum before marching to the National Council for Press and Publications (NCPP) holding banners calling for freedom of expression and press.

The protestors handed the NCPP a memorandum demanding it to bear its responsibilities in protection of journalists.

The head of the NCPP, Ali Shomo, described the assault against Mirghani as “brutal, savage, and strange”, stressing that free opinion must not be faced by beating and threats.

Shomo, who addressed protestors in front of the NCPP headquarters, underscored the need for making a solid stance against this type of “terrorism”, calling upon police to arrest the perpetrators and bring them to justice.

He added that if Mirghani’s opinion doesn’t appeal to other people, they should talk to him instead of using force, saying that “brave men” do not resort to this kind of practice.

Shomo further asserted the NCPP supports freedom of expression and opinion, noting if press were not free, it means that it is not press.

The head of the pro-government journalists syndicate, Muhy al-Din Titawi, described the assault as “cowardly act” which we must denounce, saying they refuse to respond to opinion through violence.

Meanwhile, the Reform Now Party (RNP) led by Ghazi Salah al-Din al-Attabani, condemned the assault on Mirghani and Al-Tayyar.

It said in a statement on Sunday that the criminal attack against Mirghani reflects the painful and miserable situation in the country, adding that free people are being targeted by those who lack morals and values.

The RNP pointed the country reached a point where the social contract between the state and people has decayed to the extent that some social components are adopting the “law of the jungle”.

It considered the assault an attempt to confiscate the divine rights of freedom of expression and opinion, calling for conducting an investigation on the incident and bringing perpetrators to justice as soon as possible.

X-rays and medical tests which were conducted to Mirghani have shown that no serious injuries exist but some bruises in the head and the right eye.

Mirghani has recently debated in a TV talk show program the issue of normalising relations with Israel. He also wrote a column on the same issue in Al-Tayyar.

He said in reply to his critics that the program was recorded more than three weeks ago but broadcasted in conjunction with the Israeli attack on Gaza strip, questioning the timing of the broadcast.

On the day of the incident, Mirghani wrote a column criticising an Imam (prayer leader) of one of Khartoum’s mosques who denied asking Allah’s (God) mercy and forgiveness for the famous Sudanese musician and violinist, Mohamed Abdallah, who passed away last week.

PRESIDENCY ORDERS CULPRITS’ ARREST

Sudanese vice-president Hasabo Abdel Rahman told journalists on Sunday that the presidency instructed the security service and the police to take the necessary measures to arrest the assailants who attacked Mirhgani and to bring them to justice.

Speaking during a Ramadan breakfast organised by the Sudanese Journalists Union on Sunday, Abdel Rahman condemned the attack and said that all the security agencies are currently working to catch the perpetrators of the attack.

He further said that the presidency also instructed that the headquarters of newspapers be protected.

The leader of the National Umma Party who participated at the journalists’ breakfast asked the government agencies to quickly arrest the culprits. He also called to impose the maximum penalties on attackers in order to dissuade similar assaults on journalists in the future.

Meanwhile the director of criminal police in Khartoum state, Maj-General Abdel Aziz Hussein Awad stated on Sunday night that police forces are able to identify the offenders, adding they have already collected information about them but refused to elaborate on the ongoing investigations.

Mirghani’s incident is a reminiscent of that of Mohamed Taha Mohamed Ahmed, former editor-in-chief of al-Wifaq newspaper.

Ahmed, was snatched from his home in a northern district of Khartoum by masked gunmen in September 2006 a day before his decapitated body was found.

The previous year, he had sparked controversy when his paper republished an article from the Internet that questioned the parentage of the Prophet Muhammad. Death threats were issued against him by angry Muslims, and the paper was fined by the government.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Doubts remain over South Sudan peace talks 2015-03-04 21:22:01 By John A. Akec News of a possible end to South Sudan’s 11-month-old conflict was received with guarded optimism at the start of February, and there were good reasons for this. On January 21, (...)

What do we expect from the final South Sudan Peace Talks? 2015-02-27 08:41:32 By Luka Biong Deng As the alleged final and last round of peace talks on South Sudan commenced in Addis Ababa, the people of South Sudan attach little hope and expect nothing as they have been (...)

The Berlin Meeting: What’s at stake? 2015-02-25 11:33:06 By the Sudan Democracy First Group (SDFG) Between 25 and 27 February, Berlin will become the hub for the Sudanese unarmed and armed opposition, invited by the German Foreign Ministry and the (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Archbishop Taban calls for reconciliation and forgiveness 2015-02-23 09:30:38 February 2015 Greetings from Peace Village, Kuron. It is really a Peace Village. I had my peaceful Christmas and a Prosperous New Year in Kuron. God really blessed the area with Peace. You can (...)

WFP appreciates US additional support for S. Sudan’s hungry 2015-02-19 08:20:15 17 February 2015 (JUBA)- The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has welcomed a contribution of US$165.5 million from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to feed (...)

Press Release from the SPLM/A (IO) in Uganda 2015-02-11 09:39:09 February 10, 2015 1. The office of the SPLM/A (IO) and the presence of its diplomatic representation that was established under the Kampala outcome of the 21st August 2014 is operational and has (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.