July 19, 2014 (KHARTOUM) – The African Union-United Nations Mission in Darfur (UNAMID) announced the release of three Sudanese aid workers abducted 32 days ago in Kutum, North Darfur.
- A member of the joint UN-African Union Mission in Darfur (UNAMID), right, escorts three freed humanitarian workers after landing in El Fasher, North Darfur on 19 July 2014 (Photo: UNMAID/Albert Gonzalez Farran)
These three abductees were among the 25 humanitarian workers kidnapped in three separate attacks in Kutum on 18 June. Twenty of the worker were freed the same day, while two others working with Sudan’s Sustainable Action Group (SAG) were released after 14 days on 2 July.
“Mustafa Abdalla Adarge, working with UNICEF, and Mohamed Abu Elgassem and Ahmed Elsayed, working with the international NGO Goal, were immediately taken to the Mission’s hospital in Kutum, for medical checks,” said UNAMID in a statement on Saturday.
The released aid workers were welcomed by UNAMID chief Mohamed Ibn Chambas on their arrival at El-Fasher airport.
Ibn Chambas praised the role of the Sudanese government, the National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) and North Darfur governor Osman Kibir “for their valuable assistance in the safe release of the humanitarian workers”.
“The role of the humanitarian actors in Darfur is crucial to ensure that those in need received essential aid; it’s in everyone’s interest to guarantee that they can continue to carry out their duties safely,” said Ibn Chambas.
Uncontrolled gunmen and gangs used to abduct foreigners and to demand a financial ransom. However since last year they commenced to target national aid workers.
The head of Darfur peacekeeping mission underscored in a report released this month the need to disarm militia and armed groups stressing this measure is crucial to restore security and implement peace in the region.