Home | News    Thursday 17 July 2014

S. Sudan’s rival forces trade fresh accusations over ceasefire violations


July 15, 2014 (JUBA) – The South Sudanese government and rebels have again traded accusations of fresh violations of a January ceasefire agreement despite mutual assurances from both sides of their commitment to the deal.

JPEG - 11.9 kb
A soldier from the South Sudanese army (SPLA) walks away from a vehicle while on patrol in Juba on 21 December 2013 (Photo: Reuters)

Several government officials, including the national army’s (SPLA) chief of general staff, General Paul Malong Awan, has accused rebels of looting and killing civilians in Northern Bahr el Ghazal state’s Aweil West county.

At a briefing on Tuesday, Awan told defence minister Kuol Manyang Juuk that defected soldiers from Northern Bahr el Ghazal’s Wau and Mapel had carried out looting in Mayom Akueng rel, a village between Nyinboli and Marial Baai before reportedly crossing the Sudanese border.

Awan said he had asked forces in the area to monitor the rebel movements, adding the security situation in the region remained otherwise calm.

“Apart from this the general security situation is OK. There are no other incidents we have received so far,” Awan said at the briefing.

Local legislators and officials from the area have also confirmed the incident, claiming several lives were lost on both sides during the clashes.

A state legislator from Aweil town told Sudan Tribune on Tuesday that six people who sustained gunshot wounds in the clashes had been brought to Aweil civil hospital for treatment, adding that some remained in a critical condition.

“The state government is exerting all necessary efforts to provide maximum care,” the legislator said.

Deputy governor Salva Chol Ayat, who himself comes from Aweil West county, confirmed the presence of government soldiers who defected from Western Bahr el Ghazal state in April.

Ayat explained that the group of defectors had crossed into the area few days ago before moving towards the Sudanese border.

“Everything is not yet clear now. It is still developing. But what I can say, based on the reports we are getting from the people in the area, is that they have crossed towards the Sudanese border,” said Ayat.

Rebel official Ayii Ayii Akol also confirmed that government troops had launched attacks on defectors leaving from Mapel and Wau.

However, he denied the group of defectors were hostile, accusing government of forces of carrying out an attack to block them from crossing the Sudanese border.

“They (government troops) attacked them (defectors) so they acted in self-defence and they managed to cross [to Sudan]. On our side, we lost one comrade,” Akol told Sudan Tribune on Tuesday, adding several government soldiers had been killed.

In a separate development, rebel spokesperson for military affairs Brigadier Ruai Koang Lul claimed on Tuesday that government troops had attacked rebel positions from two directions in Unity state.

“A column of loyalist forces attacked our positions at Nhial-Diu payam (district) of Rupkoni county, whereas a second one attacked Guit county, all in oil rich Unity state,” he said in a statement extended to Sudan Tribune.

“The forces that attacked our forces at Guit has been repulsed and is being pursued towards Bentiu town. Fighting is ongoing in Nhial-Diu,” he added.

Lul said government attacks on rebel defensive positions appeared to be increasing in intensity, extent and frequency.

“It looks like government troops are not bound by all agreements signed by [the] political leadership in Juba,” Lul said.


Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 17 July 2014 11:09, by Awei-ngok

    It is very unfortunate that the mighty Aweil Dinka of Northern Bahr el Ghazal are letting themselves get dragged into meaningless war that saw most of their sons and daughters getting perish at the hands of Nuer 100% rebellion led. I advice general Dau Aturjong Nyuol to reconsider his decision and save life of Aweil people! They should not again die for no good reason just b’se of Riek.

    repondre message

    • 17 July 2014 11:55, by Mel mosa

      These rebels are Nuer defected from Western Bahr El Gazal not from Aweil. Don’t let virus of South Sudan called sudantribune confuse you. No Aweil sons who carrying army defected. Also nobody wounded brought to Aweil hospital all are lies from sudantribune. They were trying looting but they were killed including their general.

      repondre message

Comment on this article


The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.

Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis

52nd Anniversary of the glorious October 21, 1964 Sudanese revolution 2016-10-21 12:43:46 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman Friday the 21st October 2016 will mark the 52nd Anniversary of the Glorious Sudanese October 21, 1964 Revolution. On that date, my memories go far back to the unique (...)

Chemical Weapons Use in Darfur: The World walks away 2016-10-18 22:12:17 By Eric Reeves Despite overwhelming evidence of Khartoum’s use of chemical weapons in the Jebel Marra region of Darfur (western Sudan), the international community seems to be quietly walking (...)

Resources grabbing in the Nile Basin 2016-10-17 22:57:47 MISUSE, MISMANAGEMENT AND MISINVESTMENTS By Mohamed S. M. Yassin Ting Fa Margherita Chang Luca Iseppi Abstract. Historically the Nile constituted the major source of life for million of (...)


Latest Press Releases

Amnesty urges to investigate chemical weapons Sudan’s Jebel Marra 2016-10-12 12:52:01 Sudan: International chemical weapons investigation urgently needed into horrific Jebel Marra attacksAMNESTY INTERNATIONAL NEWSFLASH 11 October 2016 Sudan: International chemical weapons (...)

UNAMID JSR’s statement read to the media on peace in Darfur 2016-10-10 20:57:56 African Union United Nations Mission in Darfur Though the region of Darfur is relatively peaceful at this time, a small portion of Jebel Marra within Darfur continues to be intermittently (...)

Sudan: No justice for protester killings 2016-09-23 08:03:30 (Nairobi, September 22, 2016) – Sudanese authorities have yet to provide justice to victims of a violent crackdown on anti-austerity protesters in Khartoum in September 2013, the African Centre (...)


Copyright © 2003-2016 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.