Home | News    Thursday 17 July 2014

UNMISS urged to relocate displaced civilians from Bor

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

By Tesfa-Alem Tekle

July 16, 2014 (ADDIS ABABA) – A group of community leaders from South Sudan’s Jonglei state have appealed on the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) to relocate displaced people sheltered at the UN camp in Bor.

JPEG - 17.3 kb
Civilians fleeing violence seek refuge at the UNMISS compound in the capital of South Sudan’s Jonglei state, Bor, following the eruption of violence on 15 December 2013 (AP)

In a letter of request written to UNMISS in Bor, the community leaders accused the UN body of failing to protect refugees who have been sheltering at the UN camp since conflict erupted in mid-December last year, forcing a split in the ruling SPLM.

Some 13 community leaders, including community chair William Tut Diit, have demanded that displaced people be relocated from Bor to Akobo county where their safety can be guaranteed.

According to the statement, a copy of which was obtained by Sudan Tribune, the request was being made in response to an incident on 17 April in which 145 displaced civilians were killed and 275 wounded after government forces SPLA) and armed community elements attacked the camp.

The attack is described in the statement as “barbarian and brutal”.

The community leaders, who are themselves displaced, said there is a growing climate of fear at the camp due the possibility of similar attacks by the SPLA and other pro-government militias.

The statement also accuses the government of neglecting its duty of care to displaced civilians, citing its failure to send injured civilians for specialised medical care in the capital, Juba, and its refusal to pay the salaries of state government employees who are sheltering at the UNMISS camp in Bor.

They have further accused the SPLA of organising activities to prevent the supply of food and other necessary items into the camp.

Displaced civilians being housed at the Bor camp are said to have been confined to the compound since 18 December 2013.

The letter also listed the names of 52 people who the community leaders allege were killed by members of the Dinka community inside the Bor compound.

Puoch Riek Deng, a public relations officer from the South Sudan Relief and Rehabilitation Agency (SSRRA) in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, told Sudan Tribune that the refugees at the camps are suffering severe trauma.

He has called for displaced civilians to be transferred to Ethiopia, Uganda or other safe zones inside South Sudan.

“Their relatives and family members were killed on their very watch,” he said, accusing the government of UN camps as prisons for those displaced by the ongoing conflict.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 17 July 2014 09:32, by TUR-ANGON

    If you can give the 52 names as those killed by Bor community, then how come you mention 145 people. You Nuer with your culture, of lies and pre judgment mold in stupidity will often lead you to your grave.

    repondre message

  • 18 July 2014 07:03, by Padiet Deng Alony

    Tut said

    They have further accused the SPLA of organising activities to prevent the supply of food and other necessary items into the camp.
    You nuer choose UNMISS camp as safe haven and now turned to be ghetto life. that is the consequence of war you did not predict before when you guys boosted of being warriors. war bear no sweet fruits but bitter and sour one. you better go and camp in Akobo.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


IGAD: Artificial solution on South Sudan conflict 2015-01-30 19:33:13 By James Gatdet Dak On Thursday, 29th of January, 2015, heads of state and government of the African regional bloc, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), served the warring (...)

Arms transfers to South Sudan ensure a violent future for a people desperate for peace 2015-01-28 14:06:46 By Geoffrey L. Duke Peace advocates around the world were shocked by news of China’s shipment of arms to the Government of South Sudan in June 2014. The shipment reportedly included $38 million (...)

A reading of the Arusha intra-SPLM agreement 2015-01-28 09:39:38 By: Dr Lam Akol On the 21st of January 2015, the three factions of the SPLM (now calling themselves ‘Groups’) inked in Arusha, Tanzania, an agreement dubbed “Agreement on the Reunification of the (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan’s Security Services raid and order closure of Mahmoud Mohamed Taha Cultural Centre 2015-01-24 03:41:41 African Centre for Justice and Peace Studies (23 January 2015) At 11am on 18 January, the National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) of Omdurman, Khartoum state, raided the Mahmoud (...)

Women groups announce their support for Sudan Call 2015-01-17 08:34:07 Position Statement from the Women’s Political Forces and Civil Society organizations and Groups on the Sudan Call To the People of Sudan We, the undersigned women, are fully motivated by our (...)

Norway grants US $1.9 million for humanitarian needs in Darfur 2014-12-16 06:47:08 The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) - KHARTOUM Norway helps provide nutritious food to malnourished families in Sudan 14 December 2014 KHARTOUM – The United Nations World Food Programme (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.