Home | News    Tuesday 15 July 2014

ICC sets November trial date for Darfur rebel commander

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

July 14, 2014 (KHARTOUM) – The International Criminal Court (ICC) has announced that the trial for a Darfur rebel commander accused of killing African peacekeepers will start in November 2014.

JPEG - 33.5 kb
Karim Khan (L), the lawyer for Abdallah Banda Abakaer Nourain (C), and Saleh Mohammed Jerbo Jamus (R), both suspected of having committed war crimes in Darfur, speak at the International Criminal Court in The Hague on 17 June 2010 (Photo: Reuters)

“Trial Chamber IV of the International Criminal Court (ICC) scheduled the opening of the trial in the case The Prosecutor v. Abdallah Banda Abakaer Nourain on 18 November 2014, for three charges of war crimes allegedly committed in Darfur,” said the ICC in a statement released on Monday.

The rebel commander will be the only one to face the court for were allegedly committed in an attack on the African Mission in Sudan (AMIS) base in Haskanita in North Darfur carried out on 29 September 2007.

Twelve AMIS soldiers were killed and severely injured eight others who were mainly from Nigeria, Senegal, Mali and Botswana. It was the deadliest single attack on the peacekeepers since they began their mission in late 2004.

The other rebel commander who faced the same charges, Saleh Mohammed Jerbo Jamus, was killed last year during clashes with fighters from the Justice and Equality Movement led by Girbil Ibrahim.

Jamus was among splinter commanders who signed a peace agreement with the Sudanese government in Doha in April 2013.

“While the case initially involved Saleh Mohammed Jerbo Jamus, Trial Chamber IV terminated the proceedings against him on 4 October 2013, upon receiving evidence pointing towards his death,” said the ICC.

Initially the trial had to commence on 5 May of this year but the court cancelled the opening date “in view of logistical difficulties encountered”.

The ICC, which is investigating crimes committed by both sides in Darfur conflict, seeks to apprehend four Sudanese officials whom accused of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes, including president Omer al-Bashir, his defence minister Abdel-Rahim Hussein, North Kordofan governor Ahmad Haroun, and a Janjaweed militia leader Ali Kushayb.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 15 July 2014 16:03, by WendeMajok

    I see why most countries disagree with ICC, where on earth would you leave the main problem (SAF) and opt for the innocent and marginalised people who are fighting for their rights and getting killed even when they take refuge in UN Compounds or is it because the incident involves UN? SAF is responsible and UNMID is responsible for the suffering of Darfurians. This is unjust. Deal with ethics.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Economic woes compel a shift in Khartoum’s “strategic alliance with Iran” 2015-03-30 21:04:12 By Eric Reeves Sudan Tribune reports today a remarkable declaration by the Khartoum regime’s foreign minister, Ali Karti: “We were never allies with Iran: Sudan Foreign Minister” The Sudanese (...)

What is wrong with the IGAD peace process? 2015-03-29 22:39:56 By Alfred Ladu Gore 1. The Effects of Flawed Methodological Approach on the Fundamental Issues Arising from the Crisis Situation in South Sudan In the methodological context of this paper, it (...)

Creating peace in South Sudan requires extraordinary precautions 2015-03-29 11:55:31 By Panther Alier On March 6, 2015, South Sudanese were hit again with grim news, the failure of the government and rebels led by Riek Machar to agree on almost everything that was on negotiation (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Seventy-six organizations call for publication of AU Inquiry Report as deadline for peace passes 2015-03-07 05:04:51 6 March 2015: FOR Immediate Release SOUTH SUDAN: The African Union (AU) Peace and Security Council (PSC) should immediately consider, publish and disseminate the final report of the Commission (...)

Archbishop Taban calls for reconciliation and forgiveness 2015-02-23 09:30:38 February 2015 Greetings from Peace Village, Kuron. It is really a Peace Village. I had my peaceful Christmas and a Prosperous New Year in Kuron. God really blessed the area with Peace. You can (...)

WFP appreciates US additional support for S. Sudan’s hungry 2015-02-19 08:20:15 17 February 2015 (JUBA)- The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has welcomed a contribution of US$165.5 million from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to feed (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.