Home | News    Wednesday 16 July 2014

S. Sudan rebels slam EU sanctions against top commander

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

July 12, 2014 (JUBA) – South Sudanese rebels on Saturday criticised the decision of the European Union to impose sanctions against two senior military officers from both rival factions.

JPEG - 20.6 kb
Peter Gadet, a former general in the South Sudanese army (SPLA), addresses the media in the Jonglei state capital, Bor, on 2 April 2013 (ST)

Rebel militia leader Peter Gadet and Santino Deng Wol, commander of the national army’s (SPLA) third infantry division, have been hit with sanctions for their alleged role in inflaming the conflict.

They have been banned from travelling to EU member states and any assets they have in Europe will be frozen.

In a statement extended to Sudan Tribune on Saturday, the rebel faction said Gadet had been forced to rebel in December 2013 after government security forces carried out targeted killings against unarmed Nuer civilians in the capital, Juba, at the start of the conflict. This subsequently led to heavy fighting in Bentiu, Malakal and Bor, the respective capitals of Unity, Upper Nile and Jonglei states.

In January, Human Rights Watch (HRW) said it had received eyewitness accounts of the army and security forces belonging to the Dinka tribe conducting house-to-house searches for Nuer men and shooting dead those they found.

The rebel statement, which bears the name of rebel spokesperson Brigadier General Ruai Koang Lul, claimed that the defection of General Gadet had helped save the lives of millions of innocent Nuer civilians across the country.

Gadet was among a number of senior military officials, including James Koang Chuol and Gathoth Gatkuoth, who defected in response to the ethnic violence.

Lul said the defections had resulted in the creation of a military power imbalance, forcing senior military and political leaders out of Juba.

Violence in South Sudan erupted in mid-December last year after a political split emerged in the ruling SPLM, reigniting tribal tensions across the country.

The fighting has pitted government forces loyal to president Salva Kiir, a Dinka, against rebel forces aligned with former vice-president Riek Machar, who is of Nuer ethnicity

AGREEMENT VIOLATED

The statement argues that government forces were the first to initiate attacks on rebel attacks positions in the Greater Upper Nile region only hours after a ceasefire agreement signed by the rival parties in January came into effect.

Rebels also accused government troops of attacking their positions in Bentiu and retaking the strategic town in violation of an 11 May agreement aimed at resolving the crisis in South Sudan.

Gadet was slapped with the sanctions after being identified as the leader of anti-government Nuer militia that conducted an attack on Bentiu in April, in which it’s alleged more than 200 civilians were deliberately targeted and killed based on their ethnicity.
“Peter Gadet is thus responsible for fuelling the cycle of violence, thus obstructing the political process in South Sudan, and for serious human rights violations,” the EU said on 11 July.

Gadet was subject similar sanctions imposed by the US earlier this year, along with the head of the country’s presidential guards, Maj.Gen. Arial Chanuong Yol.

Lul said a number of other serious violations committed by government forces had since been confirmed by credible bodies, including a report released in May by the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS).

“In the light of aforesaid continuous attacks against our forces and civilians in areas under our control, Gen. Peter Gadet had no any other viable peaceful option left at his disposal but only to fight in self-defence,” the statement said.

“It’s unfortunate that the EU miserably failed to differentiate between the aggressor and the aggressed and based on faulty reporting systems, misleading information, policy of appeasement and double standards issued unnecessary punitive measures on a renowned commander who fought for his own survival and his people,” it adds.

NO WAY FORWARD

The rebel spokesperson argued that the EU should have started by applying sanctions to the culprits of the Juba massacre, in which it alleges over 20,000 Nuer civilians were murdered by Kiir’s security forces, tribal and private militia.

“For EU sanctions to be seen as fair, meaningful, comprehensive and credible”, the rebel group has called for those “directly and personally responsible for the Juba massacre and other crimes committed by forces or personnel under their respective commands” to be held accountable.

Rebels have further called for the government’s allies, including the commanders of the Ugandan army (UPDF) and alleged foreign mercenaries from Sudan’s SLA-MM, SLA-AW and SPLA-N rebel groups, to be held accountable for their actions.

“They are also responsible for prolonging the suffering of the people of South Sudan by keeping in power Kiir and for squandering [the] nation’s financial resources paid to them in [the] form of monies as foreign mercenaries,” the statement said.

The senior rebel official argued failure to punish the culprits of the Juba killings would continue to curtail any movement forward.

He also accused the EU of placing the lives of 200 mercenaries killed in combat above those of the 20,000 Nuer civilians, mostly women and children, allegedly killed at the height of the conflict.

The South Sudanese government has also been critical of the EU’s decision to impose sanctions, describing the measures as “unfair and unjustifiable”.

Wol was sanctioned for his reported role in May’s recapture of Bentiu in violation of the ceasefire agreement in place.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 16 July 08:02, by BM Bol

    Didn’t the rebels support the sanctions?...unless sudantribune got it wrong. plz see below.

    http://sudantribune.com/spip.php?article51639

    repondre message

  • 16 July 09:11, by 4Justice

    The new world order will be the last world empire the bible described in the book of Daniel and the book of Revelation, they outline this final world empire and its characteristics, this last world government will be that empire Daniel and Revelation was describing, and the scary part of that is it tells us unmistakably that this world empire will be ruled by the Antichrist.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Why Kiir can only be ousted!! 2014-08-28 04:40:56 “In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemy, but the silence of our friend,” Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. By Luk Kuth Dak August 27, 2014 - Any writer or a columnist will tell you (...)

The travesty of the IGAD peace process for South Sudan 2014-08-28 04:38:02 By Amir Idris August 27, 2014 - The recent Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) heads of state and government summit held in Addis Ababa on 25th August, 2014 proposed a regional (...)

Views beyond the recent Paris Declaration 2014-08-24 21:10:17 By: Elhadi Idriss Yahya August 24, 2014 - Did the leader of Sudan’s opposition National Umma Party (NUP), Sadiq al-Mahdi finally acknowledge the existence of the Sudan Revolutionary Front (SRF) (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


National Dialogue in Sudan: Past experiences and current challenges 2014-08-27 06:18:22 Sudan Democracy First Group (SDFG) Since independence, Sudan has undergone a number of national peace agreements, some of which were observed and honored for short periods, others which were (...)

A new approach to the National Dialogue will stop war and lead to democracy in Sudan 2014-08-22 06:50:30 A New Approach to the National Dialogue in Sudan that will Stop the Wars, Address the Humanitarian Crisis and Lead to Democratic TransformationChatham House, London on Wednesday, August 20, 2014 (...)

Friends and Diaspora of South Sudan urge leaders to choose peace 2014-08-19 20:29:59 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Esther Sprague, Founder & Director, Sudan Unlimited 415.713.2495, esprague11@yahoo.com FRIENDS AND DIASPORA OF SOUTH SUDAN URGE LEADERS TO CHOOSE PEACE UNSC (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.