Home | News    Sunday 13 July 2014

South Sudan rebels deny demanding ransom for Kenyan pilot


By Tesfa-Alem Tekle

July 12, 2014 (ADDIS ABABA) –South Sudan’s SPLM in Opposition group on Saturday refuted as “baseless” claims its leader, former vice-president Riek Machar, had demanded a ransom to release a Kenyan pilot.

The South Sudanese government last week said that rebels were demanding a $1.5 million ransom payment to free the pilot who was detained after his plane was seized in Jonglei state last month.

“This was cheap propaganda by the government in Juba. Nobody demanded the alleged ransom,” said Peter Adwok Nyaba, a former political detainee who recently joined the rebel faction, told Sudan Tribune.

Nyaba said the allegations were false, adding the Kenyan pilot had since been released and handed over to the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) and flown back to Nairobi.

The former senior member of the ruling Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (SPLM) alleged that the pilot was detained on suspicion his passengers were on a mission to assassinate senior members of the opposition group’s leadership.

He said the pilot had entered airspace in the rebel-controlled area without permission from authorities and without the knowledge of the rebel faction.

Nyamba, a former minister of education, science and technology, is the second former political detainee to join Machar’s group after ambassador Ezekial Lol Gatkuoth joined the rebel movement late last month.

In a statement last week, South Sudan’s embassy in Kenya described the actions of the rebels as an “act of terror”.

“This is an act of terror and the international [community] should come out and fight it to [the] finish whether it is practiced by Riek Machar in South Sudan, Boko Haram in Nigeria or Al-shabaab in Somalia,” the statement said.

“Terrorism is the same in Tora-Bora (in Afghanistan) as it is now the case in South Sudan, practised by the so-called White Army of Riek Machar,” the statement adds.

The rebels have accused president Salva Kiir and several other senior government officials, including foreign affairs minister Barnaba Marial Benjamin, of involvement in the alleged assassination plot foiled by rebels.

The government has dismissed the allegations, saying the pilot was in the area delivering humanitarian aid.

Speaking to Sudan Tribune, another rebel official recalled the occurrence of a similar incident in February when the government allegedly sent a plane to spy on rebels.

The rebel official said the plane was seized after landing in Nasir where, but later released after an investigations were carried out.

He said no ransom had been demanded in that case either.


Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 13 July 2014 06:46, by Lotodo Awino Odug

    Who cares whether you demanded ransom or not, our message to you is, no peace, no negotiation until you all feel the heat from your hidings in the foreign capitals.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.

Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis

SOUTH SUDAN: peace or genocide? 2015-10-07 12:59:30 By Richard Moula President Salva Kiir of South Sudan has once again declared a war of genocide and ethnic cleansing on the small ethnic tribe of Moru in Western Equatoria. As from 16th (...)

G-10 critique of establishment order is a complete baloney 2015-10-07 12:59:22 By Gordon Buay Muolana John Luk must be joking to argue that the Establishment Order that created the 28 states violated South Sudan Transitional Constitution without admitting that the (...)

Why rejecting creation of more states in South Sudan? 2015-10-05 16:31:37 By Peter Gai Manyuon South Sudanese president Salva Kiir has unilaterally decreed expansion of the current Ten (10) states to 28 federal states in the country in an unexpected move announced on (...)


Latest Press Releases

S. Sudan civil society groups to the 28 states issue to constitutional body 2015-10-08 17:26:10 South Sudan Civil Society Organizations Submission on the Creation of 28 States in the Republic of South Sudan Press Statement For immediate Release 8th October 2015 Following the announcement (...)

Sudan Democracy First Group Statement on The International Day for Democracy 2015-10-01 22:18:58 22 September 2015 Sudan Democracy First Group (SDFG) commemorated on 15 September 2015 the International Day for Democracy, which the United Nations (UN) marks as a day to encourage governments (...)

Ambassador Buay congratulates South Sudanese diplomats for blocking sanctions 2015-09-19 00:20:30 SOUTH SUDAN DIPLOMATS IN MOSCOW SHOULD BE CONGRATULATED FOR PERSUADING THE FEDERATION OF RUSSIA TO BLOCK SANCTIONS For Immediate Release 9/18/2015 The people of South Sudan are extremely (...)


Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.