Home | Press Releases    Wednesday 9 July 2014

South Sudan: Independence Day marred by ongoing war crimes and looming famine

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL PRESS RELEASE

8 July 2014

South Sudan: Independence Day marred by ongoing war crimes and looming famine

· Both sides to the conflict committing war crimes and crimes against humanity
· More than 1 million internally displaced and 400,000 forced to flee the country
· 3.9 million people face an alarming risk of food insecurity as fears of famine loom
· Arms flow into South Sudan as conflict continues

New evidence is emerging of ongoing war crimes and crimes against humanity committed by both government and opposition forces in South Sudan, Amnesty International said as the country marks its third Independence Day on 9 July. On a mission to Juba this month, the organization interviewed internally displaced people who described recent atrocities and an imminent humanitarian crisis.

Since the conflict began in December 2013, more than 1 million people have been displaced, with 400,000 fleeing to neighbouring countries. Around the country 3.9 million people face an alarming risk of food insecurity, as fears of an impending famine loom. More than 100,000 people are in internally displaced persons (IDP) camps at UN bases – some have been trapped in these compounds for months, afraid they will be attacked if they leave.

One local human rights defender told Amnesty International: “What is there to celebrate when I don’t feel free?”

“Both sides in the conflict have demonstrated a near-total disregard for the laws of war, with civilians left paying the price,” said Michelle Kagari, Deputy Regional Director for Eastern Africa at Amnesty International.

“All sides must immediately cease attacks on civilians. All states must suspend international arms transfers to South Sudan, until there are guarantees they will not be used to commit or facilitate serious abuses.”

Even before the current conflict erupted, South Sudan was already awash with small arms, a legacy of decades of civil war. The wide availability of arms has fueled violent crime and intercommunal conflict, with a significant human toll. The government has made numerous attempts at civilian disarmament – these have been ineffective in improving security and have often been marred by violence themselves.

Since the internal armed conflict erupted in December, yet more arms have reportedly flowed into the country.

South Sudanese government forces loyal to President Salva Kiir and opposition forces under Dr Riek Machar have spectacularly failed to make good on promises to cease attacks on civilians, sexual violence, destruction of property and violence against children, and to facilitate humanitarian access and hold perpetrators accountable.

A ceasefire – initially agreed on 23 January and renewed twice, on 5 and 9 May, has not been honoured by either side. Clashes continue in Unity, Jonglei and Upper Nile states.

“The international community must pressure the South Sudanese authorities to bring to justice all those who have committed serious violations and abuses of international human rights and humanitarian law during the conflict, or sadly there will be more Independence Days with little to celebrate,” said Michelle Kagari.

The South Sudanese authorities have so far made no concrete effort to deliver justice for the crimes against civilians committed during the conflict. The government has demonstrated a lack of commitment to conducting prompt, independent and thorough investigations with a view towards prosecuting perpetrators of abuses and violations.

Background

Though triggered by a political dispute, South Sudan’s internal armed conflict has taken on a markedly ethnic dimension, with mainly Dinka members of government forces loyal to President Kiir, and mainly Nuer army defectors and their allied militias loyal to ex-Vice-President Machar. Both sides have been systematically targeting members of the other’s ethnic community. An Amnesty International report, Nowhere Safe: Civilians Under Attack in South Sudan, based on field research undertaken in March 2014, documented cases in which Dinka, Nuer and Shilluk civilians have been targeted on the basis of their ethnicity and assumed political affiliations.

Crimes against humanity and war crimes have happened against a backdrop of pervasive human rights violations.

A clampdown on freedom of expression has added to the repressive and fearful climate. Members of civil society and journalists have been summoned and questioned by National Security Service officers about their activities and articles. In March, the Arabic language paper Almajhar Alsayasy was ordered to shut down because of articles critical of the government. Last week, National Security Service officers gave verbal orders to media outlets not to publish articles about federalism – a topic of wide public debate. On 2 July, National Security Service officers seized copies of the Juba Monitor, a daily paper. On 7 July, armed National Security Service officers confiscated 3,000 copies of The Citizen.

On South Sudan’s first Independence Day President Kiir pledged that South Sudan would quickly accede to international conventions and abide by international law.

After three years of independence, South Sudan has failed to complete the ratification process of core human rights treaties. The African Charter for Human and Peoples’ Rights and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights were approved by parliament and have been awaiting presidential assent since before the conflict erupted. South Sudan is the only member state of the African Union that has not ratified the African Charter.

For more information contact: Stefan Simanowitz + 44 (0) 20 7413 5729 or 07778 472126 press@amnesty.org

You are receiving this message from Amnesty International, stefan.simanowitz@amnesty.org at Amnesty International. If you would like to stop receiving messages of this type in the future, you may unsubscribe

Sender Info:
United Kingdom, 1 Easton St, London, WC1
stefan.simanowitz@amnesty.org

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 13 July 22:27, by Madina Tonj

    I think those blaming government were not paying attention from the beginning as we all know the problems was generated by some of UN members for example, is Hilde Johnson which she seem to involved in South Sudan Affairs by telling Riek Machar to do this and do that. I think these 100,000 death of Southern Sudanese citizens should be blame on UN Representative in South Sudan and Riek Machar T.

    repondre message

    • 14 July 08:47, by Mr Point

      The South Sudanese authorities have so far made no concrete effort to deliver justice for the crimes against civilians committed during the conflict. The government has demonstrated a lack of commitment to conducting prompt, independent and thorough investigations with a view towards prosecuting perpetrators of abuses and violations.

      repondre message

  • 13 July 22:28, by Madina Tonj

    I think those blaming government were not paying attention from the beginning as we all know the problems was generated by some of UN members for example, is Hilde Johnson which she seem to involved in South Sudan Affairs by telling Riek Machar to do this and do that. I think these 100,000 death of Southern Sudanese citizens should be blame on UN Representative in South Sudan and Riek Machar T.

    repondre message

    • 14 July 09:00, by Mr Point

      Madina - you have got your facts wrong as well as your ideas.

      The article does not refer to 100,000 deaths but to 100,000 in IDP camps.

      As we all know the problems were caused by Salva Kiir assuming dictatorial powers, attempting to silence the reformers in the SPLM, and sending his militia out to kill the Nuers in Juba.

      repondre message

  • 13 July 22:28, by Madina Tonj

    I think those blaming government were not paying attention from the beginning as we all know the problems was generated by some of UN members for example, is Hilde Johnson which she seem to involved in South Sudan Affairs by telling Riek Machar to do this and do that. I think these 100,000 death of Southern Sudanese citizens should be blame on UN Representative in South Sudan and Riek Machar T.

    repondre message

  • 13 July 22:51, by Madina Tonj

    In addition to the root cause, there were more evidences showing the UN was involving to South Sudan’s problems. There were weapons and uniforms were being caught many times and those equipment were taken directly to armed rebels of Former vice president. Also when some civilians particular tribe like Dinka running for their safety in the UN’s compound then, the rebels asked UN to handle to rebels

    repondre message

  • 13 July 22:51, by Madina Tonj

    In addition to the root cause, there were more evidences showing the UN was involving to South Sudan’s problems. There were weapons and uniforms were being caught many times and those equipment were taken directly to armed rebels of Former vice president. Also when some civilians particular tribe like Dinka running for their safety in the UN’s compound then, the rebels asked UN to handle to rebels

    repondre message

  • 13 July 22:52, by Madina Tonj

    In addition to the root cause, there were more evidences showing the UN was involving to South Sudan’s problems. There were weapons and uniforms were being caught many times and those equipment were taken directly to armed rebels of Former vice president. Also when some civilians particular tribe like Dinka running for their safety in the UN’s compound then, the rebels asked UN to handle to rebels

    repondre message

    • 14 July 07:12, by Diversity

      100,000 Deaths!! Oh My God! The SPLM is at it again! Wait and see no body will once again shall vote for SPLM!!

      repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


The theory of African president and prime minister, working together 2014-11-22 05:32:12 By Steve Paterno November 21, 2014 - Africa is notoriously known for political instability, stemming in most cases, over power struggle among the ruling elites. Often times, the best and quick (...)

The UNAMID internal report on mass rape in Tabit. 2014-11-21 06:09:21 What UNAMID really said about their investigation of mass sexual assaults on Tabit: The internal report on what investigators found By Eric Reeves November 20, 2014 - On November 12, 2014 (...)

Bullying Darfur 2014-11-13 18:13:39 By Namaa Al-Mahdi November 13, 2014 - “We broke their backs in Abu Karshola, I doubt they have recovered since,” said a prominent Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) member about their counter attack on (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan Democracy First Group condemns wave of arbitrary arrests in Sudan 2014-09-25 05:17:35 Sudan Democracy First Group 25 September 2014 - In a desperate attempt to prevent a series of events commemorating the victims of the September 2013 protests, Sudan’s notorious National (...)

HRW calls on UN rights body to press Sudan to investigate murder of peaceful protesters 2014-09-24 21:24:09 Human Rights Watch One Year On, No Justice for Protester Deaths (Geneva, September 23, 2014) – The United Nations Human Rights Council should call on Sudan to account immediately for the death (...)

Hundreds walk for peace in South Sudan 2014-09-23 08:30:16 National Platform for Peace and Reconciliation (NPPR) PRESS RELEASE Juba, 21 September 2014 - Hundreds of people took to the streets of the South Sudan capital Jubato ‘Walk for Peace’and demand (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.