Home | News    Tuesday 8 July 2014

Civilians targeted in attacks by government troops in Unity state: rebels

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

July 6, 2014 (KAMPALA) – South Sudanese rebels have accused government troops of killing 37 civilians and setting fire to 437 houses in attacks on South Sudan’s Unity state over the weekend.

The attacks occurred in Riak and Mankien payams (districts) in Mayom county between Friday and Saturday.

State MP Peter Dak Khan, who has taken up arms against the government, told Sudan Tribune on Sunday, that the government is failing to abide by a peace protocol signed by both warring parties in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, and is becoming an enemy of civilians in the country.

“Government troops are killing innocent civilians and taking away their properties, including cows and goats,” said Dak.

The lawmaker also accused government troops of raping women and girls in areas under their control.

He said the alleged atrocities and mistreatment of civilians in Mayom called into questions the legitimacy of the government.

“The government is claiming to protect civilians; meanwhile they are maiming and raping women,” said Dak by satellite phone from Unity state.

“How could we call this a government when they torture their civilian,” he added.

South Sudan has been mired in conflict for more than six months since a split emerged in the ruling SPLM, sparking violence across the country.

The fighting has pitted government troops loyal to president Salva Kiir, a Dinka, against rebel forces aligned with former vice-president Riek Machar, who hails from the Nuer tribe.

The latest round of fighting in Unity state broke out on Friday in Rubkotna county between members of the Dinka and Nuer tribes after the rape of a teenage girl. The accused, a captain from the national army’s (SPLA) fifth division who hails from the Dinka tribe, was shot dead, along with his bodyguards, by Brigadier Gen. Kerubino Mayuat, a Nuer commanding officer from Bentiu.

A source from the SPLA in Rubkotna told Sudan Tribune on condition of anonymity that this is not the first time soldiers have been accused of raping women in the town.

He claimed the administration in the army is working to address provocative measures against civilians and prevent further incidents reoccurring.

“We will not allow this to happen as we are mandated as [a] national army to defend and protect civilians’ properties,” the source said.

Unity state capital Bentiu has been the scene of fierce fighting between rebels and government troops since the conflict erupted in mid-December last year.

The UN says both sides are responsible for committing grave human rights violations.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


IGAD: Artificial solution on South Sudan conflict 2015-01-30 19:33:13 By James Gatdet Dak On Thursday, 29th of January, 2015, heads of state and government of the African regional bloc, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), served the warring (...)

Arms transfers to South Sudan ensure a violent future for a people desperate for peace 2015-01-28 14:06:46 By Geoffrey L. Duke Peace advocates around the world were shocked by news of China’s shipment of arms to the Government of South Sudan in June 2014. The shipment reportedly included $38 million (...)

A reading of the Arusha intra-SPLM agreement 2015-01-28 09:39:38 By: Dr Lam Akol On the 21st of January 2015, the three factions of the SPLM (now calling themselves ‘Groups’) inked in Arusha, Tanzania, an agreement dubbed “Agreement on the Reunification of the (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan’s Security Services raid and order closure of Mahmoud Mohamed Taha Cultural Centre 2015-01-24 03:41:41 African Centre for Justice and Peace Studies (23 January 2015) At 11am on 18 January, the National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) of Omdurman, Khartoum state, raided the Mahmoud (...)

Women groups announce their support for Sudan Call 2015-01-17 08:34:07 Position Statement from the Women’s Political Forces and Civil Society organizations and Groups on the Sudan Call To the People of Sudan We, the undersigned women, are fully motivated by our (...)

Norway grants US $1.9 million for humanitarian needs in Darfur 2014-12-16 06:47:08 The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) - KHARTOUM Norway helps provide nutritious food to malnourished families in Sudan 14 December 2014 KHARTOUM – The United Nations World Food Programme (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.