Home | News    Saturday 5 July 2014

Over 26,000 in need of food in Jonglei’s Duk county

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

July 3, 14 (BOR) - More than 26,000 people in Koyiom, Payai, Pan-arou and other higher-grounds in the swampy areas of Duk county South Sudan’s Jonglei state urgently need food assistance, authorities said.

JPEG - 94.9 kb
Civilians in Jonglei awaiting delivery of food aid April 16, 2014 (ST)

The commissioner of Duk, Elijah Mochnom, having visited the area said civilians badly needed food and health services, adding that many could die within two weeks if denied assistance.

"These people are under critical conditions, they have nothing to eat, no medicines for treatment. I am afraid that if humanitarian agencies delay till the middle of this month, it would be too late to help them", Mochnom told Sudan Tribune by phone Thursday.

“These were the people who decided to hide in their local areas when the Lou Nuer and Garweer surged their villages between December 2013 and February this year”, he added.

Several non-governmental organisations, the commissioner said, pledged to do an assessment of the area situation, but has not done so since April.

"UN OCHA [UN Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs] promised to come for assessment in April, but its staff had not appeared in the county. CRS [Catholic Relief Services] has said the same thing, so we are waiting to see if they will turn up soon", he said.

Duk, it commissioner said, has a population of nearly 72,000 people, with more than 10,000 found to be living in the swampy areas in 2012. However, more than 40,000 people sought protection in Twic East, Bor town and Mingkaman of Lakes state during intensity of the country’s crisis.

The northern Jonglei county was one of the worst-hit areas affected by the mid-December 2013 outbreak of conflict, which started in the South Sudan capital, Juba, after disputes among the presidential guards.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 5 July 2014 09:40, by Mayom County Boy

    is not Duk county alone who may face food shorted ,it all three states counties who may face food shorted very soon , because UN is claiming that have fund shorted from donors ,where by every thing become problem to every boby .let just pray for peace to previal .

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


South Sudan famine is a wake-up call to revive dead peace deal 2017-03-20 15:57:01 By Brian Adeba News that a famine has been declared in South Sudan is yet another stark reminder of the ever evolving nature of war-induced fragility in Africa’s newest country. As the world (...)

Africa’s next level of economic transformation 2017-03-20 05:57:00 By Jim Yong Kim The G20 finance ministers met last week in Germany to discuss critical challenges facing the global economy, from climate change to migration to humanitarian emergencies like the (...)

Mistake any armed opposition must not do 2017-03-20 05:51:57 By James Nguen South Sudan has been at war by itself since 15 of December 2013. This internal strife sent the new country to a new low and finally to a failed state status by all accounts. This (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Statement by South Sudanese Communist Party on the National Dialoguel 2017-03-22 05:44:42 The Communist Party of South Sudan On the Initiative of the National Dialogue The initiative taken by the President of the Republic of South Sudan declaring a need for a national dialogue is an (...)

An Appeal to President of the Republic of South Sudan 2017-03-15 07:22:45 Dear. Mr. President, I write to appeal to you for the release of political detainees now in the custody of the National Security Service at Jebel and other detention facilities. In doing this, I (...)

Militias of Bashir’s Regime and the Proxy War (1) 2017-02-08 21:49:09 Sudan Democracy First Group Militias of Bashir’s Regime and the Proxy War (1) War in the Blue Nile: Militias in the hunt of refugees and displaced population Introduction Throughout its rule, (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2017 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.