Home | News    Wednesday 2 July 2014

South Sudanese journalists accused of inaccurate reporting

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

July 1, 2014 (JUBA) – South Sudanese presidential spokesman Ateny Wek Ateny on Tuesday accused the local media of quoting officials out of context, urging them to focus on accuracy.

JPEG - 22.2 kb
South Sudan’s presidential spokesperson speaking during a press conference in Khartoum on 2 March 2014 (Photo: Ebrahim Hamid/AFP)

Addressing reporters in response to reports that government had allegedly restricted public debates on federal system of governance and plotted to kill governors speaking publicly in favor of federalism, Ateny said the media had done very little on accuracy.

“I think our media has the problem of not picking up exactly the real thing and this is a big problem,” he said when asked to clarify reports that President Salva Kiir invited the former secretary general of the ruling party (SPLM), Pagan Amum and other senior members of the party initially detained, but later set free over an alleged coup attempt in the capital, Juba.

Ateny said President Kiir never initiated a meeting with senior SPLM officials, now known as former detainees, in Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa last month. The South Sudanese leader, he said, accepted a request by Amum, former justice minister, John Luk, former cabinet affairs minister, Deng Alor and his ex-finance counterpart Kosti Manibe for a meeting.

“And president willingly accepted them to come and talk to them; not president have invited them,” Ateny stressed.

“If it is the English language that you [reporters] speak you better take it correctly. If it is Arabic you speak, you take also correctly,” he added.

Ateny claimed President Kiir then told the former detainees to come to Juba “for the interest of peace.”

60 DAYS ULTIMATUM

Ateny also challenged reporters for government’s commitment to sixty days ultimatum signed by President Kiir and rebel leader Riek Machar on June 10th, which he said was attached to the peace talks.

“As a very informed journalist you should know that 60 days is determined by the results of the negotiations,” said Ateny.

“Sixty days is not running parallel to what is supposed to come out from Addis Ababa between the two parties or three parties or four parties that are negotiating peace agreement,” he added.

“So if the negotiations are suspected indefinitely, so how do you think 60 days can run if they are no parallel?” he added.

None of the reporters who attended Tuesday’s press conference willingly accepted to react to Ateny’s statements.

NO ASSASSINATION PLOT

Meanwhile, the presidential spokesperson claimed the alleged plot to kill governors of the greater Equatoria regions who have publicly supported the federalism system of governance were false.

“The president is not against federalism so that he can have dispute with his friends,” Ateny said in reference to the governors of South Sudan’s Central, Eastern and Western Equatoria states.

“They [governors] are in contact with the president all the time. So there is no way the president could conspire or ought to have conspired to eliminate them simply because they are talking of federalism," he added.

Ateny said government was aware of social media sites and accounts creating fear and panic among the public.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 2 July 08:32, by dinkdong

    This one-eyed presidential spokesman is stupid.

    repondre message

  • 2 July 18:43, by Runrach

    Believe me or not, the issue is not Ateny Awek implicated journalist credibility but the man behind him is Michael Makuei Lueth the minister of I formation and broadcasting. Apart from the disgraced president of the Republic of greater Bhar el ghazal. Which has been sugarcoated has the republic of South Side Sudan. Please leave the man alone.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


The theory of African president and prime minister, working together 2014-11-22 05:32:12 By Steve Paterno November 21, 2014 - Africa is notoriously known for political instability, stemming in most cases, over power struggle among the ruling elites. Often times, the best and quick (...)

The UNAMID internal report on mass rape in Tabit. 2014-11-21 06:09:21 What UNAMID really said about their investigation of mass sexual assaults on Tabit: The internal report on what investigators found By Eric Reeves November 20, 2014 - On November 12, 2014 (...)

Bullying Darfur 2014-11-13 18:13:39 By Namaa Al-Mahdi November 13, 2014 - “We broke their backs in Abu Karshola, I doubt they have recovered since,” said a prominent Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) member about their counter attack on (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan Democracy First Group condemns wave of arbitrary arrests in Sudan 2014-09-25 05:17:35 Sudan Democracy First Group 25 September 2014 - In a desperate attempt to prevent a series of events commemorating the victims of the September 2013 protests, Sudan’s notorious National (...)

HRW calls on UN rights body to press Sudan to investigate murder of peaceful protesters 2014-09-24 21:24:09 Human Rights Watch One Year On, No Justice for Protester Deaths (Geneva, September 23, 2014) – The United Nations Human Rights Council should call on Sudan to account immediately for the death (...)

Hundreds walk for peace in South Sudan 2014-09-23 08:30:16 National Platform for Peace and Reconciliation (NPPR) PRESS RELEASE Juba, 21 September 2014 - Hundreds of people took to the streets of the South Sudan capital Jubato ‘Walk for Peace’and demand (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.