Home | News    Tuesday 1 July 2014

Juba says rebels demanding $1.5m ransom to release Kenyan pilot

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

June 30, 2014 (JUBA) – The South Sudanese government says rebels under the leadership of former vice-president Riek Machar are demanding $1.5 million in ransom to release a Kenyan pilot it says delivered relief supplies to areas under the control of the opposition group last month.

In a statement extended to Sudan Tribune on Monday, South Sudan’s embassy in Kenya said rebels had kidnapped the Kenyan pilot and seized his plane while he was delivering food items in Jonglei state.

The embassy described the actions of rebel forces as an “act of terror”.

“It was later on learnt that the rebels wanted ransom of$ 1.5 million in return for the release of the pilot and the plane,” the embassy said in the statement.

“This is an act of terror and the international [community] should come out and fight it to finish whether it is practiced by Riek Machar in South Sudan, Boko Haram in Nigeria or Al-shabaab in Somalia. Terrorism is the same in Tora-Bora (in Afghanistan), as it is now the case in South Sudan, practised by the so-called White Army of Riek Machar,” the statement adds.

The embassy also expressed dismissed the stance taken by some members of the international community, saying it often places a blanket of blame on both sides whenever the rebels violate the ceasefire agreement.

“The embassy seizes this opportunity to appeal to the international community in general, and the countries in the region in particular, to rise to the occasion to fulfil their responsibility as the members of the community of nations to help inform the rebel [forces] of Riek Machar to do the right thing other than the acts of terrorism, killing, destruction and kidnapping,” the statement said.

Rebels said last month that the pilot was captured after they foiled an assassination attempt on its senior command leadership.

They said a charter plane carrying the would-be assassin and pilot Philip Kipkoech Murgor was intercepted on 2 June its return to Lou Nuer areas inside Jonglei state following a meeting with government officials in the capital, Juba.

A statement released by the rebel faction contained allegations that president Salva Kiir and several senior government officials, including foreign affairs minister Barnaba Marial Benjamin, were directly involved in the plot.

The government denied the claims.

The spokesperson for the South Sudanese army (SPLA), Philip Aguer, initially said he had knowledge of a plane being confiscated.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 1 July 2014 11:00, by Robot

    ST stop publishing outdated lies,, where is the pilot now???, your reporting is becoming disgusting, why can’t you guys stick to professional ethics of journalism?, horrible indeed.

    repondre message

    • 1 July 2014 13:36, by Letigolight

      It is well known that the Kenyan pilot has since been released, what has not been handed over is the spy plane.
      All of us know this,

      I am in Juba

      repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Musa Hilal’s "Awakening": Khartoum’s worst nightmare? 2015-04-22 06:33:05 By the Sudan Democracy First Musa Hilal, once one of the principal commanders of the Janjaweed militias which supported the Sudan Armed Forces (SAF) in the 2003/04 ethnic cleansing campaign in (...)

A brief history one man’s destructive misrepresentations 2015-04-18 08:07:54 By Eric Reeves Al Jazeera America is currently airing a two-part documentary that attempts to represent the character and causes of the catastrophe that has overtaken South Sudan following the (...)

Sudan’s election marred by arbitrary detention, and insecurity 2015-04-18 06:31:10 By African Centre for Justice and Peace Studies Sudan’s national general elections began on 13 April 2015. Scheduled to end on 15 April, they were extended one day by the National Elections (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudan’s 2015 Elections: A huge step in democratic consolidation 2015-04-22 13:12:25 EMBASSY OF THE REPUBLIC OF THE SUDAN 3 CLEVELAND ROW, ST.JAMES'S LONDON SW1A 1DD TEL: 020-7839 8080 PRESS AND INFORMATION RELEASE (2/2015) Sudan’s 2015 Elections: A Huge Step in Democratic (...)

Sudanese security arrest rights defender Adil Bakheit 2015-04-18 08:04:21 FRONT-LINE DEFENDRSPress StatementSudan Human rights defender Adil Bakheit arrested Human rights defender Mr Adil Bakheit was arrested on 16 April 2015 by the National Intelligence and Security (...)

Which do you choose? Peace or War? 2015-04-18 06:16:42 To the South Sudanese Diaspora Which do you choose? Peace or War? Coalition of Advocates for South Sudan, April 11, 2015 “The Voice of the South Sudanese Diaspora” Who are/What is the South (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.