Home | News    Thursday 26 June 2014

305 workers laid off in W. Bahr el Ghazal after ghost names discovered

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

June 25, 2014 (JUBA) – The governor of South Sudan’s border state of Western Bahr El Ghazal says it has laid off 305 employees from active public service, some of whom were found to be ghost names.

Rizik Zachariah Hassan said the state’s public service ministry had managed to identify 162 ghost workers, with a further 143 employees at retirement age also laid off.

According to a statement obtained by Sudan Tribune on Wednesday, the majority of the workers had been employed in the health and education ministries.

The names of the ghost workers had appeared on the payroll but failed to physically appear for any assignment, with the ministries also unable to trace their files.

Governor Hassan clarified that those on the pension list would receive their salaries for a further three months after which their names would be removed from the pay roll.

Classified civil servants without any academic documents in their files would also be dismissed.

In 2012, more than 500 employees – the majority of them teachers – were terminated from the public service without benefits.

A national pension scheme and commission have yet to be established in South Sudan and it remains unclear how the government will handle the issue of pension for those who have reached retirement age.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 26 June 08:36, by Mr Point

    This is good government!

    They have successfully reclaimed money that was being wasted through corruption. Now it can be used to provide vital services for citizens.

    WBEG government should continue this good work over the next many years and keep hunting the payroll ghosts.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


September 23 Uprising remains milestone in Sudanese struggle for democracy 2014-09-28 03:25:50 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman September 27, 2014 - This article comes against the backdrop of the First Anniversary of the September 23, 2013 Sudanese Popular Uprising. Moreover, on this saddening Day (...)

What the Khartoum regime really thinks 2014-09-26 06:12:06 (leaked minutes of critical August 2014 meeting of senior military and security official) By Eric Reeves September 24, 2014 - I received on 22 September 2014, from a source within Sudan whom (...)

Contextualizing realities of the crisis in N. Bahr el Ghazal government (Part 1) 2014-09-24 14:01:21 By Deng Dut Lual September 24, 2014 - The government of Northern Bahr el Ghazal state led by Kuel Aguer Kuel in a caretaker position has been seriously leaking. Leaking is a damning word that (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan Democracy First Group condemns wave of arbitrary arrests in Sudan 2014-09-25 05:17:35 Sudan Democracy First Group 25 September 2014 - In a desperate attempt to prevent a series of events commemorating the victims of the September 2013 protests, Sudan’s notorious National (...)

HRW calls on UN rights body to press Sudan to investigate murder of peaceful protesters 2014-09-24 21:24:09 Human Rights Watch One Year On, No Justice for Protester Deaths (Geneva, September 23, 2014) – The United Nations Human Rights Council should call on Sudan to account immediately for the death (...)

Hundreds walk for peace in South Sudan 2014-09-23 08:30:16 National Platform for Peace and Reconciliation (NPPR) PRESS RELEASE Juba, 21 September 2014 - Hundreds of people took to the streets of the South Sudan capital Jubato ‘Walk for Peace’and demand (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.