Home | News    Tuesday 24 June 2014

Al-Saiha newspaper expected to resume publication this week: editor

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

June 23, 2014 (KHARTOUM) – The editor-in-chief of al-Saiha newspaper, Yasser Mahjoub Hussein, told his staff on Monday that authorities will allow them to resume publication and that a formal decision is expected to be made on Tuesday.

JPEG - 37.2 kb
Al-Saiha newspaper Logo (mugrn.net)

He told journalists to get ready to get back to work by next Sunday at the latest.

On 17 May, the National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) ordered the suspension of al-Saiha newspaper after it published stories on corruption at the justice ministry. The famous amongst which was the corruption accusation against the current undersecretary of the justice ministry, Esam al-Din abdel-Gadir.

According to local reports, 13 journalists working for al-Saiha have been charged and are being prosecuted for their writings.

The suspension decision was made under the direct orders of NISS’s director, Mohamed Atta Abbas al-Moula.

The Sudanese minister of information Ahmed Bilal Osman said at the time that the NISS has the legal right to suspend al-Saiha and any media raising confusion and dissension in the country.

Hussein and the newspaper’s owner al-Tayeb Mustafa, who is president Omer Hassan al-Bashir maternal uncle, held a meeting with NISS officials in which they were informed about imminent lifting of suspension.

According to a senior NISS official there were “good indications” followed the meeting.

Al-Saiha’s editor-in-chief told Sudan Tribune previously that authorities are deliberately trying to punish them through the daily summoning of newspaper’s staff including chairman of the board and senior editors.

He disclosed that the newspaper suffered heavy financial losses due to the suspension in the amount of 30,000 pounds a day in addition to the moral loss of being unable to reach their readers.

Sudanese journalists work under tight daily censorship controls exercised by the NISS.

Journalists say that confiscation and suspension of newspapers is a commonly used practice by the local authorities to overburden the newspapers with financial losses alongside other non-financial pressures.

NISS recently intensified its crackdown on press in the country accusing them of crossing the red lines through publishing reports which adversely impact the national security.

On 19 May, the Sudanese presidency delivered a firm warning to media outlets on its coverage of certain items that poses a danger to national security and the country as a whole.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Armed Struggle and Civil Resistance in Sudan: A catch 22 situation 2017-01-22 08:22:12 By Elwathig Kameir 1. The Sudan People's Liberation Movement-North (SPLM-N) issued a press statement, on Jan. 17, declining a US initiative (of which I have seen a copy) for the delivery and (...)

Civil lawsuit on behalf of Sudanese victims against BNP Paribas 2017-01-22 08:13:14 Civil lawsuit on behalf of Sudanese victims of Khartoum's atrocity crimes brought against BNP Paribas in U.S. Federal District Court (filed January 20, 2017) By Eric Reeves The civil suit (...)

Gen. Paul Malong Awan: The impeccable multi-purpose hero 2017-01-22 06:24:04 By Akol Ayom Wekdit No doubt about it. South Sudan has, indeed, produced a hero and a leader only described in superlatives. On the continent and abroad, Gen. Paul Malong Awan, the SPLA Chief of (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Abduction of S. Sudan Chief Justice’s aide illegal, should be condemned 2017-01-16 05:27:50 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 16th January 2015 Legal Watch Associates South Sudan has learned with shock and dismay the abduction of Mr Gama Thomas, an aide to the Chief Justice, Chan Reech Madut. (...)

Carter Center welcomes new regulations on humanitarian affairs 2017-01-12 07:53:16 The Carter Center ATLANTA, Januarg 11, 2017 – The Carter Center welcomes the recent regulations issued by the government of Sudan aimed at facilitating humanitarian relief throughout the country (...)

Nertiti massacre in Central Darfur exposes the criminal nature of Bashir’s regime 2017-01-03 11:54:47 Sudan Democracy First Group Nirtiti massacre in Central Darfur exposes the criminal nature of Bashir's regime 2 January 2017 On the first day of 2016, and only one day after President Bashir's (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2017 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.