Home | News    Wednesday 18 June 2014

Sudanese army bomb MSF-run hospital in S. Kordofan


June 18, 2014 (KHARTOUM) - An international medical humanitarian organization, Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), said that Sudanese war planes bombed a hospital they run in the restive South Kordofan state where the government troops carry out a large scale offensive.

JPEG - 22.6 kb
Children sit in front of their shelter in Bram village in the Nuba Mountains in South Kordofan on 28 April 2012 (Photo: Reuters)

“As bombs struck the village of Farandalla on June 16, two hit the MSF hospital there,” MAF said in a press statement released on Tuesday adding that five people were wounded in the village and one MSF staff member was injured at the hospital.

“We are shocked that a medical facility can be bombed, especially since it was clearly identified with a flag and a cross on the roof,” said MSF Head of Mission Brian Moller. “We also had previously communicated the hospital’s position to the authorities in Khartoum.”

Sudanese army and government militia since target rebel positions in South Kordofan where they captured several positions held by the SPLM-N fighters. However, the attacks continue as they aim to dislodge the insurgents from their headquarters in Kauda.

SPLM-N secretary general Yasir Arman told Sudan Tribune this week that the ongoing military operations are the “largest offensive” never the region witnessed since the start of the conflict in June 2011.

Aid groups say the “Decisive Summer” displaced more than 100,000 people in SPLM -N areas during the past few months in parts of South Kordofan and are in need of humanitarian assistance.


In a statement released on Wednesday morning, the acting UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator in Sudan, Geert Cappelaere, condemned the bombing of MSF hospital on Monday.

“I am very concerned that international obligations to ensure that medical units are protected during times of conflict are not being upheld,” said Cappelaere.

“Inside, are ordinary people who are seeking medical attention in a civilian hospital and humanitarian relief workers. They should not have to pay for this conflict with their lives. I would like to remind all parties to this conflict that clearly marked medical units are not to be attacked. The bombing of a medical facility simply should not happen,” he said.

On 1 and 2 May Sudanese military aircrafts dropped bombs near the Mother of Mercy Hospital in the Nuba Mountains, South Kordofan, causing injuries and terrifying patients. The air attack triggered international condemnations from the UN and different countries.

MSF said that Farandalla Hospital staff evacuated the patients in the surroundings at the time of the attack, while medical workers returned to treat the people wounded during the attack on the village.

According to the medical group, the emergency room, a dressing room, the pharmacy, and the hospital kitchen were destroyed by the bombs. However Moller asserted that “MSF will continue to work there,” despite the significant damage.

Last Friday the US ambassador to the United Nations, Samantha Power, condemned "in the strongest possible terms" bombardments of civilians that she said were being carried out by the Sudanese government and its rapid support forces.

"Since April, not only have ground attacks on, and the shelling of, civilian populations increased, but the government of Sudan has intensified its air campaign, dropping hundreds of barrel bombs and other ordnance on Sudanese towns and villages, deliberately targeting hospitals and schools," Power said.


Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 18 June 2014 13:17, by Jalaby

    Wait a minute, how come no patient or physician was killed or injured at that hospital because of the Sudanese warplanes bombing? Is this a hospital or rebel military facility disguising under cross flag?
    We’ve a history of very suspicious relationship between the international organizations and the rebels in Sudan and the previous south war is very good example!!

    repondre message

    • 18 June 2014 13:26, by Jalaby

      SPLM-N secretary general Yasir Arman told Sudan Tribune this week that the ongoing military operations are the “largest offensive” never the region witnessed since the start of the conflict in June 2011
      You probably heard about Rapid Support Forces (RSF), right?
      After RSF gave Darfourians rebels good lesson in Darfour and made them ran for their lives

      repondre message

      • 18 June 2014 13:35, by Jalaby

        now they moved to Kordofan and hitting SPLA-N so hard, RSF pledged to clean the whole area from the dirtiness of SPLA-N so next time Jalaby Yasir Arman sits with the government for peace without any city or area in his plate!
        It’s up to you guys if you want RSF to stop the fierce attack on you, just raise the white flag in a sign of your surrender hand over

        repondre message

        • 18 June 2014 13:43, by Jalaby

          Kuada to SAF & SRF and I can guarantee you guys that SRF will grant you a safe exit from the whole area without hurting anyone of you, it’s up to you to go and live in Kampala’s 5 stars hotels if you want but your days in S Kordofan are gone and no one can tolerate your dirtiness anymore!!

          Jalaby (Abo Jalabia)

          repondre message

          • 18 June 2014 21:56, by Kalo

            Jalaby,no problem,what you did to our civilians will be done to your people later in the same way,despite of what attacked but let me tell you,RSF will not win the war,all the areas captured will be abandon by ur poor militants,how many times they captured Jau,Dar and Toroji,they still defeated,i know because i am a soldier not civilian like you.

            repondre message

Comment on this article


The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.

Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis

Why the order establishing 28 states should be nullified 2015-10-04 10:29:29 By James Okuk On Friday 2nd October 2015 in Juba and quoting as usual Article 101 of Transitional Constitution of South Sudan (2011), President Salva Kiir Mayardit issued “Establishment Order (...)

Who to benefit from the Somaliazation of South Sudan? 2015-10-01 19:01:51 By Steve Paterno The question above is becoming more prevalent now more than ever, with the "imposition of peace agreement", (to borrow Riek Machar's phrase), along with President Salva Kiir's (...)

Lessons of Maridi fuel tanker “tragic incident” 2015-09-26 15:10:10 By Isaac Yak R. Tutdel The Republic of South Sudan, on 17th September 2015, learned with great dismay the massive loss of lives caused by fuel tanker which overturned and unexpectedly caught (...)


Latest Press Releases

Sudan Democracy First Group Statement on The International Day for Democracy 2015-10-01 22:18:58 22 September 2015 Sudan Democracy First Group (SDFG) commemorated on 15 September 2015 the International Day for Democracy, which the United Nations (UN) marks as a day to encourage governments (...)

Ambassador Buay congratulates South Sudanese diplomats for blocking sanctions 2015-09-19 00:20:30 SOUTH SUDAN DIPLOMATS IN MOSCOW SHOULD BE CONGRATULATED FOR PERSUADING THE FEDERATION OF RUSSIA TO BLOCK SANCTIONS For Immediate Release 9/18/2015 The people of South Sudan are extremely (...)

HRW urges African Union and United Nations to protect civilians in Darfur 2015-09-10 07:10:11 Sudan: Special Force Rampages in Darfur UN, AU Should Urgently Increase Civilian Protection (New York, September 9, 2015) – A Sudanese government special force has gone on two sprees of killings (...)


Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.