Home | News    Sunday 15 June 2014

Aid agencies unveil plan to reach 3.8 million people in S. Sudan

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

June 14, 2014 (JUBA) – A new plan to assist 3.8 million people hit by hunger, violence and diseases in South Sudan by December was on Saturday unveiled by aid agencies in the country.

JPEG - 33.4 kb
DSRSG Toby Lanzer addresses authorities during a workshop held by the South Sudan Recovery Fund in Unity state on 29 August 2013 (ST)

As many as 1.5 million people have reportedly been displaced as the conflict entered its sixth month, while over seven million remain at risk of facing hunger and disease in the new nation. There are fears the numbers could worsen if the situation was not resolved.

“Now that the rains have set in, conditions in South Sudan are deteriorating by the day: people are literally living in mud. Cholera has broken out, malaria is rampant and many children are malnourished. Millions of people need emergency healthcare, food, clean water, proper sanitation and shelter to make it through the year,” Toby Lanzer, the United Nations humanitarian coordinator in South Sudan told reporters in the capital, Juba.

“We have three main goals: to save lives, prevent a famine, and avert the loss of a generation of children and young people to this conflict. Aid organizations have reached 1.9 million people so far. With sufficient resources, we will be able to do much more,” he added.

Last month, at least $600 million was pledged by donors at a conference organised to raise funds for South Sudan’s humanitarian crisis in Oslo, Norway.

Meanwhile of the $1.8 billion required to implement the 2014 South Sudan Crisis Response Plan, some $740 million has reportedly been mobilised already.

Lanzer said this leaves a gap of just over $1 billion or only $1.50 per day for each person to be assisted. He further expressed concerns over the low funding levels for nutrition and protection programmes and that this could have grave consequences on the population.

Over 50,000 children, agencies say, could die this year if they do not get assistance.

On a positive, however, relief organisations welcomed the commitment by the warring in the conflict to the peace process, despite the fact that much damage was already done.

"Even if the cessation of hostilities holds – and I sincerely hope it will – fighting and displacement has already shattered the lives of millions of people”, said Lanzer.

“The commitment of NGOs and UN agencies to the people of South Sudan is steadfast and resolute, but we need two things to do our work. First, the high-level commitment of both parties to full access for aid workers must be implemented on the ground. Second, relief agencies need more money", he observed, adding that "With those things in place, we will deliver.”

Oxfam South Sudan country director, Jane Drew equally expressed concerns over the country’s six-month old conflict.

“Today marks six months since the onset of the crisis that stopped South Sudan’s projected exponential economic development in its tracks, and forced more than 1.3 million people from their homes. In this short time the conflict has taken thousands of lives and destroyed the livelihoods of millions. The people of South Sudan have been exposed to a triple crisis – conflict, hunger and disease – and with the rains now in full swing, the situation only stands to deteriorate", Drew said in a statement.

“If we are to avoid a famine in South Sudan, the time to act is now. Humanitarian actors have managed to reach over a million people with food, water, shelter and other essential support since December, but millions more remain in need. If we don’t significantly scale up the response, 4 million people will go hungry in the coming months", she added.

The British charity also welcomed last week’s agreement between president Salva Kiir and opposition leader, Riek Machar, but urge the international community to rapidly deliver on the promises made in Oslo to enable agencies respond in the areas that need assistance.

“The agreement reached in Addis on Tuesday between president Kiir and Dr. Machar is also welcome, but it should not have taken six months to reach this point", said the Oxfam country boss.

"Both parties to the conflict must genuinely commit to building a path to peace that is robust and enduring, and they must call on their troops to lay down their arms and stop putting the lives of their own citizens at risk", she stressed.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


The theory of African president and prime minister, working together 2014-11-22 05:32:12 By Steve Paterno November 21, 2014 - Africa is notoriously known for political instability, stemming in most cases, over power struggle among the ruling elites. Often times, the best and quick (...)

The UNAMID internal report on mass rape in Tabit. 2014-11-21 06:09:21 What UNAMID really said about their investigation of mass sexual assaults on Tabit: The internal report on what investigators found By Eric Reeves November 20, 2014 - On November 12, 2014 (...)

Bullying Darfur 2014-11-13 18:13:39 By Namaa Al-Mahdi November 13, 2014 - “We broke their backs in Abu Karshola, I doubt they have recovered since,” said a prominent Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) member about their counter attack on (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan Democracy First Group condemns wave of arbitrary arrests in Sudan 2014-09-25 05:17:35 Sudan Democracy First Group 25 September 2014 - In a desperate attempt to prevent a series of events commemorating the victims of the September 2013 protests, Sudan’s notorious National (...)

HRW calls on UN rights body to press Sudan to investigate murder of peaceful protesters 2014-09-24 21:24:09 Human Rights Watch One Year On, No Justice for Protester Deaths (Geneva, September 23, 2014) – The United Nations Human Rights Council should call on Sudan to account immediately for the death (...)

Hundreds walk for peace in South Sudan 2014-09-23 08:30:16 National Platform for Peace and Reconciliation (NPPR) PRESS RELEASE Juba, 21 September 2014 - Hundreds of people took to the streets of the South Sudan capital Jubato ‘Walk for Peace’and demand (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.