Home | News    Friday 13 June 2014

US condemns Sudan’s attacks in border states

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

June 12, 2014 (WASHINGTON) – The United States on Thursday issued a strong condemnation of what it claimed to be attacks by Sudanese army and its militias known as the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) in the border states of the Blue Nile and South Kordofan.

JPEG - 113.6 kb
US ambassador to the United Nations Samantha Power (Photo: AFP/Andrew Burton)

“Since April, not only have ground attacks on, and the shelling of, civilian populations increased, but the Government of Sudan has intensified its air campaign, dropping hundreds of barrel bombs and other ordnance on Sudanese towns and villages, deliberately targeting hospitals and schools,” said the US ambassador to the United Nations Samantha Power in a statement today.

“We are also disturbed by recent reports of aerial bombings targeting civilian humanitarian assistance workers – which, if accurate, would be a serious violation of international law and would compound the impediments that the government has already placed on the delivery of humanitarian assistance to those in need” the press release said.

The US official quoted unnamed NGO’s as accusing RSF militia of looting and destroying food and water supplies in areas reclaimed from rebels.

The RSF militia, which is widely known as the Janjaweed militias, was originally mobilised by the Sudanese government to quell the insurgency that broke out in Sudan’s western region of Darfur in 2003.

The militia was activated and restructured again in August last year under the command of NISS to fight rebel groups in Darfur region, South Kordofan and Blue Nile states following joint attacks by Sudanese Revolutionary Front (SRF) rebels in North and South Kordofan in April 2013.

Two prominent Sudanese opposition leaders were recently arrested and referred to court for accusing RSF of abuses in the course of its military campaign.

Last February, the presence of Janjaweed militias incorporated in RSF in North Kordofan state capital of El-Obeid drew widespread condemnation from residents who accused it of spreading terror.

These forces were blamed for looting commercial markets and killing of a merchant in El-Obeid leading to massive protests across the city.

The governor of North Kordofan state, Ahmed Haroun, announced at the time that his government made the necessary arrangements to drive them out from the state within 72 hours.

The US envoy also recalled Khartoum’s refusal to allow aid groups into rebel-held areas of the two states since the conflict broke out in 2011.

“We have also seen these tactics used recently in Darfur, displacing over 300,000 people this year,” Power said.

“The United States calls on all armed groups in Sudan to cease all violence against civilians and comply with international law. We note the Government of Sudan has a special responsibility in this regard as it is charged with the protection of its citizens. We urge the international community and the UN Security Council to ensure that those responsible for these attacks on civilians are held accountable and that all available mechanisms for doing so are effectively utilized,” she added.

The latest weekly bulletin by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) stated that more than 100,000 people in Sudan People Liberation Movement North (SPLM-N) areas have been displaced by fighting over the past few months in parts of South Kordofan.

Millions of civilians have been displaced in the two states since the conflict erupted in the two states between government forces and SPLM-N.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 13 June 2014 10:33, by Darkangel

    When Powers, Rice, Clooney, prendergast start yelling human rights, condemning and genocide - you know the SPLMN are in trouble. Those sorry fools are trying to help the trapped SPLMN before the RSF & SAF destroy them ! As the troops approach Koada your going to hear more crying from the US.

    repondre message

    • 13 June 2014 10:37, by Darkangel

      Wheres that moron Eric Reeves !! Oh hes still stuck in Darfur - move on old fool, the new fashion is Nuba Mountains !! Kiir !! If you dare help out the SPLMN your days will be over VERY quickly. Machar is just waiting for a bullet from Sudan to put you to sleep & end your cowardly - western ass kissing government.

      repondre message

  • 13 June 2014 10:34, by Darkangel

    The US official quoted unnamed NGO’s as accusing RSF militia - HAHAHAHHA That says it all !!! How desperate Powers. I know get a vote and let Russia & China make a fool of you again.

    repondre message

  • 13 June 2014 17:54, by Jalaby

    Well, they condemned Russia before for invading Ukraine..who really cares?
    When SPLA-N shells randomly Kadugly and kills civilians they don’t condemn but when SAF beat their agents they start to condemn!
    Kauda is underway ..cry baby cry!

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Musa Hilal’s "Awakening": Khartoum’s worst nightmare? 2015-04-22 06:33:05 By the Sudan Democracy First Musa Hilal, once one of the principal commanders of the Janjaweed militias which supported the Sudan Armed Forces (SAF) in the 2003/04 ethnic cleansing campaign in (...)

A brief history one man’s destructive misrepresentations 2015-04-18 08:07:54 By Eric Reeves Al Jazeera America is currently airing a two-part documentary that attempts to represent the character and causes of the catastrophe that has overtaken South Sudan following the (...)

Sudan’s election marred by arbitrary detention, and insecurity 2015-04-18 06:31:10 By African Centre for Justice and Peace Studies Sudan’s national general elections began on 13 April 2015. Scheduled to end on 15 April, they were extended one day by the National Elections (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudan’s 2015 Elections: A huge step in democratic consolidation 2015-04-22 13:12:25 EMBASSY OF THE REPUBLIC OF THE SUDAN 3 CLEVELAND ROW, ST.JAMES'S LONDON SW1A 1DD TEL: 020-7839 8080 PRESS AND INFORMATION RELEASE (2/2015) Sudan’s 2015 Elections: A Huge Step in Democratic (...)

Sudanese security arrest rights defender Adil Bakheit 2015-04-18 08:04:21 FRONT-LINE DEFENDRSPress StatementSudan Human rights defender Adil Bakheit arrested Human rights defender Mr Adil Bakheit was arrested on 16 April 2015 by the National Intelligence and Security (...)

Which do you choose? Peace or War? 2015-04-18 06:16:42 To the South Sudanese Diaspora Which do you choose? Peace or War? Coalition of Advocates for South Sudan, April 11, 2015 “The Voice of the South Sudanese Diaspora” Who are/What is the South (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.