Home | News    Saturday 7 June 2014

Sudanese army captures another rebel-held area in S. Kordofan

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

June 6, 2014 (KHARTOUM) – Sudanese government forces have retaken a new area in South Kordofan state from the rebel Sudan People’s Liberation Movement – North (SPLM-N), announced the military spokesperson in Khartoum on Friday.

JPEG - 30.9 kb
SAF soldiers and RSF militamen stand guard after recapturing the Daldako area, east of Kadogli May 20, 2014. (Photo Reuters/Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah)

“The Sudan Armed Forces (SAF) and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) today (Friday) at 12:00pm entered into Alatamor area” in South Kordofan state, said al-Sawarmi Khaled Sa’ad in a statement released in the afternoon.

Alatamor is located between Um Sirdiba and Dalko, east to the state capital Kadugli. The army already retook the control of Dalko on 18 May.

The SPLM-N spokesperson Arnu Ngutulu Lodi confirmed the capture saying their forces has "withdrawn tactically”.

Alatmor is located 93 kilometres from Kauda, a stronghold rebel town where are the military and political headquarters of the SPLM-N.

The Sudanese army and the RSF militia are conducting a military campaign against the rebel held areas in South Kordofan. Sudanese officials say the ‘Decisive Summer’ operation aims to dislodge SPLM-N from Kauda.

Sa’ad said that the rebel fighters withdrew from the area leaving behind a number of dead bodies, adding that the government forces have lost a number of soldiers without elaborating on the number of victims from both sides.

He further said that they seized "a large amount of military equipment, including large mortars, guns, and a considerable number of small arms and ammunition".

Lodi from his side told Sudan Tribune that Sudanese army “suffered heavy losses in lives”, and vowed to drive out the government troops from the area soon. “They will not stay long time” he asserted.

He said this is not the first time that Alatmor changes hands during the 3-year war in South Kordofan.

On 5 June the SPLM-N released a statement on the 3rd anniversary of the armed conflict in South Kordofan which erupted following the contested election of the candidate of the National Congress Party (NCP) Ahamed Haroun in May 2011.

Efforts by the African Union mediation have so far failed to end the conflict as thousands of civilians were forced to flee the war zones and moved to other towns inside the country or sought refuge in South Sudan and Ethiopia.

The talks is stalled over a draft framework agreement proposed by the AU High-Level Implementation Panel (AUHIP). The document provides to negotiate a peaceful settlement for the conflict in South Kordofan and Blue Nile states, but the SPLM-N demands a comprehensive process including Darfur rebel groups.

The two parties had to meet on 25 May but the panel did not invite the antagonists to join the negotiating table, considering the gabs are still too big between them.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 7 June 2014 13:12, by Jalaby

    The SPLM-N spokesperson confirmed the capture saying their forces has "withdrawn tactically”
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Every time the same justification:Tactical withdrawal!!!
    We know for sure from now that your up coming defeat in Kuada is going to be "Tactical withdrawal" too, right?! LOL LOL
    Just keep it that way mercenaries LOL LOL

    repondre message

    • 7 June 2014 20:55, by Kalo

      Jalaby,too early for you to celebrate,it was the same Altomor where Ahmed Haroun ran and left 1 pair of his shoes,Daldoko finished Jabardar,just wait tomorrow you will get the full information of Alatomor,let me tell you all RSF will finished in S.K like Abutaira no matter the captured the areas,we will retake them back like Jau and Toroji.

      repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


When threatened, nature fights back: A case for wetlands 2016-09-26 10:24:12 By Dr. Abdulkarim Seid At a glance, wetlands – large expanses of swamps – seem like public nuisances, a waste of space; occupying prime land which could otherwise be turned into sprawling shopping (...)

UNHRC Meetings: Is it a “diplomatic conspiracy” and “CSOs camouflage”? 2016-09-26 06:01:34 Notions From the United Nations Human Rights Council in its 33rd Session on Sudan: Is it a “Diplomatic Conspiracy” and “CSOs camouflage”? By Mohamed Yassin As an attendee of the UN Human Rights (...)

U.S. interests with the Sudan made the Darfur issue disappears from the radar 2016-09-23 20:21:06 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman U.S. only Cares for Interests U.S. Department of State Office of the Spokesperson, John Kirby, stated on September 20, 2016 that the United States welcomes cooperation (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudan: No justice for protester killings 2016-09-23 08:03:30 (Nairobi, September 22, 2016) – Sudanese authorities have yet to provide justice to victims of a violent crackdown on anti-austerity protesters in Khartoum in September 2013, the African Centre (...)

Kiir’s rope -à-dope 2016-09-08 12:57:35 COMMUNIQUE September 6, 2016 By Pa’gan Amum Okiech for South Sudan Reborn The United Nations Security Council, with all of its strength and power, is now being challenged by a diplomatic (...)

Sudanese students, activists are at risk of torture: HRW 2016-05-25 14:40:51 Human Rights Watch Sudan: Students, Activists at Risk of Torture Free Detainees; Investigate Abuses (Nairobi, May 25, 2016) – Sudanese national security officials have detained dozens of (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2016 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.