Home | News    Saturday 7 June 2014

South Sudan says top diplomat’s resignation motivated by “personal interest”

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

June 6, 2014 (JUBA) – South Sudan has denied mistreating its former ambassador to the United Nations, Francis George Nazario, claiming the latter’s resignation was out of “personal interest”.

JPEG - 12.5 kb
Former South Sudanese ambassador Francis George Nazario (ST)

The government was reacting to issues raised in Nazario’s resignation letter in which he accused the country’s leadership of failing its citizens by not doing enough to stem ongoing conflict in the country, saying the system had become intolerable for critical voices.

Earlier this week Nazario confirmed his resignation and said he had since left the country “because I don’t want to part of what is happening”, describing the situation as “unbearable”.

“I will not return until there is a solution to the current problem; until there is a freedom, respect for human rights and until you can say what you want to say without fear of being harassed and victimised for your opinion,” He said on Friday.

“I cannot accept to remain in [the capital], Juba, while our people continues to be harassed and killed by the government security,” he added.

Information and broadcasting minister Michael Makuei Lueth told reporters on Friday that Nazario had become aggrieved after the government recalled him from his position over decisions it felt went against the best interests of the country.

His recall came after he voted in favour of a 2012 resolution, which supported self-determination for a Palestinian state at the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).

“The government decided to call him back but he felt aggrieved and started misbehaving because he was transferred from where he was deployed. He is an angry person and you should understand that all he is saying is [and] expression of anger and dissatisfaction, which is full of false and lies,” said Lueth.

Meanwhile, a statement from the ministry of foreign affairs said the former ambassador had been well regarded by the country’s leadership and had always enjoyed so-called prestige deployments.

Nazario, who has spent eight years abroad, served as South Sudan’s representative in Brussels, the seat of the European Union, before being transferred to the UN in the capacity of deputy head of mission. After being recalled he was appointed director for human rights and humanitarian affairs at the ministry headquarters.

“With the confidence of the leadership of the country, he was transferred to the United Nations in the capacity of deputy head of mission – another prestigious position that does not match with the person being marginalised or discriminated as he claimed,” the minstry’s statement said.

It has accused Nazario of seriously damaging foreign relations with some friendly countries, including Israel and Russia, saying he was warned against taking decisions on issues tabled before the UN general assembly without prior consultation with headquarters.

However, the ministry said Nazario continued to ignore those directives, prompting the ministry to finally recall him.

“As a reaction to his recall, he presented himself to the media as having been intentionally victimised and opted for a leave without pay, which was granted,” the statement said in part.

“The ministry would like to assure the general public that while Ambassador Francis tries to portray himself as a nationalist who cares about national issues, the fact of the matter, in the opinion of the ministry, is based on personal interest and not otherwise,” it said in the statement, pointing out that the timing of his decision to quit coincides with current administrative developments taking place at the ministry and South Sudan’s diplomatic missions abroad.

In an unofficial resignation letter tendered on 2 June, Nazario allegedly claimed he was unable to continue associating with the current leadership and government.

“Under the current situation, I find it extremely difficult to continue assuming my responsibility as a nationalist, who has always vowed to support the legitimate aspirations and just cause of the valiant people of South Sudan,” he wrote.

Diplomatic sources also speculated this week whether the official opted out of civil service after seeing no future for his diplomacy career under the country’s current government led by president Salva Kiir.

A ministry official claimed Nazario had been due to be posted to Brussels, but later learnt his appointment had been cancelled.

(ST)

- S. Sudanese diplomat Nazario says he resigned to avoid being complicit in “failure”
- South Sudan acknowledges resignation of top diplomat

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 7 June 2014 05:57, by Ayuiu Makuac Lam

    Those who, are against Kiir Mayardit leadership will be regrets shortly. Because Riek Machar exploits more propagation of employment to make people more interest.
    Let Francis George Narzario, go to make more propagation with his boost Riek Machar, the prophet of Doom believer.

    repondre message

  • 7 June 2014 06:39, by Tong dut

    Every body hate Kiir goverment,since Dinkas are problem to south sudan.Soon south sudan will sent dinkas to hell.

    repondre message

    • 7 June 2014 12:53, by Tibs

      idiot Dut
      Just shut up foolish, you don’t know English with your poor Grammar

      repondre message

  • 7 June 2014 18:43, by AbuDeng

    Dr. Nazario’s situation is this, on Israel issue, 1) he was left alone when that vote happened. PR to UN, who wrote YES and FM were not answering their phones during that crucial vote when he was seeking consultation.
    2) He was chosen, placed on FM official deployment list, having been told by Pres Kiir he was the right man, was vetted and approved but week later it changed, nepotism? Probably!

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Musa Hilal’s "Awakening": Khartoum’s worst nightmare? 2015-04-22 06:33:05 By the Sudan Democracy First Musa Hilal, once one of the principal commanders of the Janjaweed militias which supported the Sudan Armed Forces (SAF) in the 2003/04 ethnic cleansing campaign in (...)

A brief history one man’s destructive misrepresentations 2015-04-18 08:07:54 By Eric Reeves Al Jazeera America is currently airing a two-part documentary that attempts to represent the character and causes of the catastrophe that has overtaken South Sudan following the (...)

Sudan’s election marred by arbitrary detention, and insecurity 2015-04-18 06:31:10 By African Centre for Justice and Peace Studies Sudan’s national general elections began on 13 April 2015. Scheduled to end on 15 April, they were extended one day by the National Elections (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudan’s 2015 Elections: A huge step in democratic consolidation 2015-04-22 13:12:25 EMBASSY OF THE REPUBLIC OF THE SUDAN 3 CLEVELAND ROW, ST.JAMES'S LONDON SW1A 1DD TEL: 020-7839 8080 PRESS AND INFORMATION RELEASE (2/2015) Sudan’s 2015 Elections: A Huge Step in Democratic (...)

Sudanese security arrest rights defender Adil Bakheit 2015-04-18 08:04:21 FRONT-LINE DEFENDRSPress StatementSudan Human rights defender Adil Bakheit arrested Human rights defender Mr Adil Bakheit was arrested on 16 April 2015 by the National Intelligence and Security (...)

Which do you choose? Peace or War? 2015-04-18 06:16:42 To the South Sudanese Diaspora Which do you choose? Peace or War? Coalition of Advocates for South Sudan, April 11, 2015 “The Voice of the South Sudanese Diaspora” Who are/What is the South (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.