Home | News    Friday 6 June 2014

S. Sudanese diplomat Nazario says he resigned to avoid being complicit in “failure”

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

June 5, 2014 (JUBA) – South Sudanese diplomat Francis Nazario said the “failure” by government to amicably resolve the country’s ongoing conflict was behind his recent decision to resign from active service.

JPEG - 17.2 kb
Amb. Francis Nazario (left) of South Sudan and Amb. Abdel Rahman Dhirar of Sudan at the Human Rights Council (UN News Center)

“I have resigned. Indeed I have decided to resign and I am already out of the country,” he told Sudan Tribune Thursday.

Nazario’s resignation drew mixed reactions from within the foreign affairs ministry, with some accusing him of using social media and news websites to advance his decision instead of following proper procedures and processes.

Diplomatic sources, however, claimed the official may have opted out of civil service after he saw no future in his diplomacy career within the current government under president Salva Kiir’s leadership.

“My reading of this decision is into two folds: you know that ambassador Francis George Nazario was recalled to the headquarters after he was posted as one of the diplomats at the permanent mission to the United Nations,” a foreign affairs official told Sudan Tribune.

“He sees that as not [being] one of his mistakes because the reason he was recalled was because he voted in favour of a resolution, which supported self-determination for a Palestinian state at the United Nations Security Council in 2012,” he added.

In 2012, Nazario was recalled by the foreign affairs ministry after he voted in favor of the resolution that supported the right of self-determination of the Palestinians.

In his defence, however, Nazario said then that he delivered a speech already prepared by the country’s ambassador to the UN Francis Deng, adding that it also reflected government’s position since both president Salva Kiir and former minister for foreign affairs Nhial Deng Nhial had been consulted on the matter.

Another issue that may have forced Nazario out of service was the alleged cancellation of his name from the list of diplomats earmarked for foreign missions.

The ministry official said Nazario had been due to be posted to Brussels, but he later learnt his appointment had been cancelled.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 6 June 2014 18:41, by Ito

    Dear Dr.Francis, you have taken a bold decision by saying to this murderous regime enough is enough with tribalism, nepotism, corruption and so on. You are indeed an intellectual blessed with detective mind and not like stupid ones who are still roaming in Juba. Mass defections has started until Salva only remains with his family in Juba.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


What do we expect from the final South Sudan Peace Talks? 2015-02-27 08:41:32 By Luka Biong Deng As the alleged final and last round of peace talks on South Sudan commenced in Addis Ababa, the people of South Sudan attach little hope and expect nothing as they have been (...)

The Berlin Meeting: What’s at stake? 2015-02-25 11:33:06 By the Sudan Democracy First Group (SDFG) Between 25 and 27 February, Berlin will become the hub for the Sudanese unarmed and armed opposition, invited by the German Foreign Ministry and the (...)

Can a democratic government extend its own life? 2015-02-23 07:32:25 By Dr Lam Akol Last Thursday, the government tabled before parliament an amendment bill in order to amend the Constitution for the Government to extend its life for two more years. In a (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Archbishop Taban calls for reconciliation and forgiveness 2015-02-23 09:30:38 February 2015 Greetings from Peace Village, Kuron. It is really a Peace Village. I had my peaceful Christmas and a Prosperous New Year in Kuron. God really blessed the area with Peace. You can (...)

WFP appreciates US additional support for S. Sudan’s hungry 2015-02-19 08:20:15 17 February 2015 (JUBA)- The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has welcomed a contribution of US$165.5 million from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to feed (...)

Press Release from the SPLM/A (IO) in Uganda 2015-02-11 09:39:09 February 10, 2015 1. The office of the SPLM/A (IO) and the presence of its diplomatic representation that was established under the Kampala outcome of the 21st August 2014 is operational and has (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.