Home | News    Thursday 29 May 2014

Sudanese security raids Al-Saiha newspaper in search of government documents

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

May 28, 2014 (KHARTOUM) – The office of Sudan’s state security prosecutor led a raid on the headquarters of Al-Saiha newspaper which was suspended from publishing indefinitely this month by the director of the National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) after a string of reports it published on corruption by government officials, most notably undersecretary of the ministry of justice.

JPEG - 37.2 kb
Al-Saiha newspaper Logo (mugrn.net)

Sudan’s official news agency (SUNA) quoted state security prosecutor Yasser Ahmed Mohamed that they took action against the newspaper under articles 21/24/25/26/55/66 of the Criminal Code and article 24/26 of the Press and Publications Law.

Mohamed said that the raid was carried out over suspicion of violation of Article 55 of the Criminal Code which prohibits circulating government documents outside the official channels.

Al-Saiha editor-in-chief Yasser Mahjoub was arrested before being released later on his own recognizance.

The prosecution said he found many published and unpublished documents, adding that the investigation will continue in response to NISS complaint.

Al-Saiha was launched recently by the chairman of the Just Peace Forum (JPF) party and President Bashir’s maternal uncle, al-Tayeb Mustafa, after NISS forced him out of his previous newspaper al-Intibaha.

NISS banned Al-Intibaha after JPF spoke out against economic measures announced last September, condemning the bloody repression of anti-austerity protests that broke out following the decision. The paper was allowed to resume operations on the condition that Mustafa step down as chairman.

The JPF, a splinter faction of the ruling National Congress Party (NCP), is a radical Islamist and separatist party. During the transitional period of 2005-2011, it campaigned strongly for separation between Sudan and the South.

Last week, the Sudanese presidency delivered a firm warning to media outlets on its coverage of certain items that poses a danger to national security and the country as a whole.

The Sudanese minister of information Ahmed Bilal Osman said the NISS has the legal right to suspend Al-Saiha and any media raising confusion and dissension in the country.

He however reaffirmed that the suspension in such cases does not mean reneging on freedom of information.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Economic woes compel a shift in Khartoum’s “strategic alliance with Iran” 2015-03-30 21:04:12 By Eric Reeves Sudan Tribune reports today a remarkable declaration by the Khartoum regime’s foreign minister, Ali Karti: “We were never allies with Iran: Sudan Foreign Minister” The Sudanese (...)

What is wrong with the IGAD peace process? 2015-03-29 22:39:56 By Alfred Ladu Gore 1. The Effects of Flawed Methodological Approach on the Fundamental Issues Arising from the Crisis Situation in South Sudan In the methodological context of this paper, it (...)

Creating peace in South Sudan requires extraordinary precautions 2015-03-29 11:55:31 By Panther Alier On March 6, 2015, South Sudanese were hit again with grim news, the failure of the government and rebels led by Riek Machar to agree on almost everything that was on negotiation (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Seventy-six organizations call for publication of AU Inquiry Report as deadline for peace passes 2015-03-07 05:04:51 6 March 2015: FOR Immediate Release SOUTH SUDAN: The African Union (AU) Peace and Security Council (PSC) should immediately consider, publish and disseminate the final report of the Commission (...)

Archbishop Taban calls for reconciliation and forgiveness 2015-02-23 09:30:38 February 2015 Greetings from Peace Village, Kuron. It is really a Peace Village. I had my peaceful Christmas and a Prosperous New Year in Kuron. God really blessed the area with Peace. You can (...)

WFP appreciates US additional support for S. Sudan’s hungry 2015-02-19 08:20:15 17 February 2015 (JUBA)- The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has welcomed a contribution of US$165.5 million from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to feed (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.