Home | News    Monday 26 May 2014

Jonglei state orders civil servants to return to work


May 25, 14 (BOR) – Jonglei state announced on Saturday that all government employees and civil servants must return to the state capital, Bor, to resume their duties despite over five months of conflict that has severely affected South Sudan’s largest state.

JPEG - 936.4 kb
Judi Jonglei Bioris, at the meeting at Star Hotel in Bor, August 14, 2012 (ST)

The demand by the Jonglei government for displaced people to return to Bor was first made in February just two months after the conflict began in December 2013. The fighting is between the South Sudanese government and rebels who have broken away from the ruling party (SPLM) and army (SPLA). Thousands have been killed and over one million people displaced.

Speaking after a cabinet meeting on Saturday during which the governor’s order was endorsed, Jonglei’s minister of information and communication, Jody Jonglei Boyoris, said that all civil servants should return to work or lose their positions.

"We have given them seven days to report to work otherwise the government may take measures they may not like. If they fail to show up at the end of seven days, we will terminate their services", said the minister of information while addressing the press in Bor.

This is the third call by the government employees to report to work, following previous efforts in February and March. The move will affect government employees and elected officials who defected from the South Sudanese government and joined the rebellion of former vice president Riek Machar in December last year.

"If you are the government employee, wherever you are, whether in Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, you must come to Bor for work. There is no need for you to be absent again. Those in [the] Mingakaman [internally displaced camp across the White Nile in neighbouring Lakes state] and other places in South Sudan must also come", the minister said.

The seven-day ultimatum began on Thursday 22 May, he said, and would be implemented across all departments and ministries. Only the civil servants who return to their duties would receive their pay.

Many of those who have been displaced from Bor and government controlled areas of Jonglei are from the Nuer ethnic group of Riek Machar. As well as fleeing to neighbouring Ethiopia around 5,000 mainly Nuer civilians have sought shelter at the United Nations Mission in South Sudan base in Bor.

"We have talked to [internally displaced people] IDPs in [the] UNMISS camp here in Bor to come out and do their normal duties. [The] UN cannot tell them to come out but the government will continue to persuade them to come out to join us in the offices", he added.

The government also cautioned Dinka Bor youth not to target Nuer in the state capital as it would it tarnished the name of the government.

In April armed Dinka Bor youth attacked the UN base killing dozens of people, raising the prospect that the Nuer IPDs would have to be relocated due the tensions in Bor which changed hands on four occasions in the first weeks of the conflict.


Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article


The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.

Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis

52nd Anniversary of the glorious October 21, 1964 Sudanese revolution 2016-10-21 12:43:46 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman Friday the 21st October 2016 will mark the 52nd Anniversary of the Glorious Sudanese October 21, 1964 Revolution. On that date, my memories go far back to the unique (...)

Chemical Weapons Use in Darfur: The World walks away 2016-10-18 22:12:17 By Eric Reeves Despite overwhelming evidence of Khartoum’s use of chemical weapons in the Jebel Marra region of Darfur (western Sudan), the international community seems to be quietly walking (...)

Resources grabbing in the Nile Basin 2016-10-17 22:57:47 MISUSE, MISMANAGEMENT AND MISINVESTMENTS By Mohamed S. M. Yassin Ting Fa Margherita Chang Luca Iseppi Abstract. Historically the Nile constituted the major source of life for million of (...)


Latest Press Releases

Amnesty urges to investigate chemical weapons Sudan’s Jebel Marra 2016-10-12 12:52:01 Sudan: International chemical weapons investigation urgently needed into horrific Jebel Marra attacksAMNESTY INTERNATIONAL NEWSFLASH 11 October 2016 Sudan: International chemical weapons (...)

UNAMID JSR’s statement read to the media on peace in Darfur 2016-10-10 20:57:56 African Union United Nations Mission in Darfur Though the region of Darfur is relatively peaceful at this time, a small portion of Jebel Marra within Darfur continues to be intermittently (...)

Sudan: No justice for protester killings 2016-09-23 08:03:30 (Nairobi, September 22, 2016) – Sudanese authorities have yet to provide justice to victims of a violent crackdown on anti-austerity protesters in Khartoum in September 2013, the African Centre (...)


Copyright © 2003-2016 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.