Home | News    Sunday 25 May 2014

Rwandan peacekeeper killed in Darfur after failed mediation attempt: UN

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

May 24, 2014 (KHARTOUM) – The United Nations announced on Saturday that a Rwandan peacekeeper from the UN-African Union Mission in Darfur (UNAMID) was killed and three others injured.

JPEG - 19.4 kb
Peacekeepers from the hybrid African Union-United Nations operation in Darfur (UNAMID) patrol the damaged and empty Labado village in South Darfur on 10 December 2013 (Photo: Reuters/Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah)

“Following altercations between Fur people from Al Salam village and Arab militia from Al Hara village, a UNAMID team attended mediation meeting in an attempt to ease the tension. The Arab militia elements, nevertheless, became hostile towards UNAMID peacekeepers and started shooting at them, at which point the peacekeepers returned fire,” UNAMID said in a statement.

“As a result of the ensuing fighting, four Rwandan peacekeepers were injured and, unfortunately, one of them died from his wounds. The other three, one of them in critical condition, are receiving treatment at the UNAMID hospital in Kabkabiya. The fighting left an unconfirmed number of casualties among the assailants”.

The mission’s Joint Special Representative (JSR), Mohamed Ibn Chambas, condemned the attack, which he described as a “criminal act”.

“Our peacekeepers were trying to mediate the dispute in good faith and regrettably their efforts went unappreciated. They paid the ultimate price with courage and dedication while discharging their noble duty; trying to bring peace to Darfur,” he said.

Chambas called on the Sudanese government to act decisively and swiftly in bringing the perpetrators to justice.

“This crime is utterly unjustifiable and amounts to a crime against humanity for which those responsible must be brought to account,” he said.

UN secretary-general Ban Ki Moon released a statement condemning the attack and extending his condolences to the family of the deceased peacekeeper and the Rwandan government.

The UN Security Council also condemned the attack “in the strongest terms”, with the 15-member body further called on the Sudanese government swiftly to investigate the incident and bring the perpetrators to justice.

UNAMID noted that its death toll since the creation of the hybrid peacekeeping mission in December 2007 has risen to 58 after today’s incident.

Last year, seven Tanzanian peacekeepers killed in South Darfur by unknown gunmen.

A UN committee that is tasked with monitoring compliance with Sudan-related sanctions said in a report earlier this year which has not been made public that some of these attacks were carried out by pro-government militias.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


ARCSS and HLRF: last or lost chance for peace in South Sudan? 2017-12-14 05:02:15 By James Okuk “Tell people in power that something they tried didn’t work as expected” – Peter Ross. “A state without the means of some change is without the means of its conservation” – Edmund (...)

Response to Bona Malual statements on Abyei 2017-12-11 20:24:24 By Hon Arop Madut Arop As I was reading the last proof of my new book on the Ngok Dinka history, which is currently with the printers, somebody sent me a recorded voice message purportedly given (...)

Is Jieng Council of Elders responsible for South Sudan crisis? 2017-12-10 17:59:57 By Samuel Maker Amuor Silence means acceptance! It takes less than a minute for one to come across Jieng council of elders’ meddle on national affairs as they claim. Either through social media (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


South Sudanese rights group call to release political detainees 2017-12-10 07:50:31 THE INTERNATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS DAY: 10 DECEMBER 2017: SSHURSA CALLS ON ALL TO ACTION FOR SOUTH SUDANESE The 10 December usually marks the international human rights day. SSHURSA notes with (...)

Reactions to government agencies’ conspiracy against Greater Bor community 2017-10-08 07:54:31 By Manyok Abraham Thuch & Kuch Kuol Deng A monkey business or a donkey business in the government of the republic of South Sudan against the citizens is unacceptable. Therefore, we as youth (...)

Amnesty calls to release Nubian activists detained over protest for cultural rights 2017-09-12 20:47:54 AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL PRESS RELEASE 12 September 2017 Egypt: Release 24 Nubian activists detained after protest calling for respect of their cultural rights Egyptian authorities should (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2017 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.