Home | News    Sunday 25 May 2014

SAF silent on reports of senior RSF commander’s death during S. Kordofan battles

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

May 24, 2014 (KHARTOUM) – The Sudan Armed Forces (SAF) has maintained its silence on reports a senior commander from the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) was killed on Saturday in Daldako area, east of the South Kordofan state capital of Kadugli.

JPEG - 11.7 kb
Undated portrait of Colonel Hussein Jabr al-Dar, a commander from the Rapid Support Forces

High-level sources told Sudan Tribune earlier that Col. Hussein Jabr al-Dar’s death occurred during heavy clashes with the rebel Sudanese People’s Liberation Movement-North (SPLM-N) in Daldako area.

Attempts to reach SAF spokesperson al-Sawarmi Khalid Sa’ad by phone were unsuccessful.

Last week the Sudanese army announced that it had recaptured Daldako area from the SPLM-N.

Daldako which is 12km away from Um-Sordoba area, is a strategic town and is considered the SPLM-N’s second largest strongholds.

The sources said that a shrapnel of a rocket-propelled grenade hit the commander’s vehicle, killing him along with several other soldiers.

Jabr al-Dar, who hails from South Kordofan state, was a member of the Republican Guard forces in Khartoum.

Several pro-government websites have officially mourned him, noting that he fought in the battle of the recapture of Heglig area from South Sudan’s army in 2012.

According to the same sources, the SPLM-N attacked Daldako area at 10am (local time) on Saturday in an attempt to retake it from the Sudanese army.

It also said the Sudanese army built heavy defenses around Daldako and reinforced its troops, pointing that 300 military vehicles loaded with soldiers left Kadugli in order to strengthen the security presence in Daldako and move towards the SPLM-N stronghold of Kauda.

Sudan’s defence minister, Abdel-Rahim Mohamed Hussein, who paid a visit to front-line troops deployed in Nuba Mountains, told reporters in Kadugli on Friday that the army finalised preparations to launch the second phase of the decisive summer campaign, stressing that the upcoming operations will include new areas.

“Despite the progress achieved towards its goals, the armed forces are at the same time keen to stop the bleeding of blood among Sudanese,” he said, adding that “the next round of negotiations is a chance to make significant progress toward ending the war, if the other party wished”.

Hussein also said the military operations, which involve controversial Arab militiamen of the RSF, do not target a tribe or an ethnic group but are directed against those who threaten the national security.

The RSF militia, which is widely known as the Janjaweed militias, were originally mobilised by the Sudanese government to quell the insurgency that broke out in Sudan’s western region of Darfur in 2003.

The militia was activated and restructured again in August last year under the command of National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) to fight rebel groups in Darfur region, South Kordofan and Blue Nile states following joint attacks by Sudanese Revolutionary Front (SRF) rebels in North and South Kordofan in April 2013.

Sudanese officials say the RSF is part of the NISS but operationally follow the army.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 25 May 2014 07:55, by Jalaby

    SAF will continue to provide martyrs so generously for the sake of Sudanese nation and Sudanese soil while SPLA-N will just die "Fatis Saket" while involving themselves in the fighting that’s going on between Junobean in the south!
    Kauda has become on "stone’s throw" and SAF is preparing and deploying its troop, army vehicles and warplane toward Kauda

    repondre message

    • 25 May 2014 08:11, by Jalaby

      Our spies inside SPLA-N telling us that there is no strong army or strong defenses around Kauda because SPLA-N withdrew their heavy weapons from Kauda in attempt of defending Daldako,Abri,Umdowrin,etc but SAF and Rapid force beat them so badly and caused great loss among them!
      Another reason for the defeat of SPLA-N that big numbers of their soldiers are busy fighting

      repondre message

      • 25 May 2014 08:17, by Jalaby

        with SPLA against Nuer rebellion, SPLA refused to allow them to go and fight SAF and stop SAF from moving toward their stronghold areas because SPLA need them so desperately and can’t fight the south rebel without them!
        Let idiot SPLA-N just die "Fatis Saket" while involving themselves in Junobean fighting!!
        Strong greeting and respect to our martyrs!

        repondre message

        • 25 May 2014 09:28, by South South

          Jalaby,
          You are crazy man who should not be taken seriously. A vagabond person like you should be left alone.

          repondre message

        • 27 May 2014 08:51, by Kalo

          Jalaby,who were dying now,all RSF in Daldoko killed including their commander,you talk of Nuer,the one we killed was the one who killed Nuer in Heglig,we know Jalaby used him because is from Nuba Moro born in Rifigi Village in Umdulu payam,umdorai Locality but the same Nuba killed him coz he want to betray them,just be in Khartoum not knowing what is there on the ground.
          Wad-Nuba

          repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


IGAD: Artificial solution on South Sudan conflict 2015-01-30 19:33:13 By James Gatdet Dak On Thursday, 29th of January, 2015, heads of state and government of the African regional bloc, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), served the warring (...)

Arms transfers to South Sudan ensure a violent future for a people desperate for peace 2015-01-28 14:06:46 By Geoffrey L. Duke Peace advocates around the world were shocked by news of China’s shipment of arms to the Government of South Sudan in June 2014. The shipment reportedly included $38 million (...)

A reading of the Arusha intra-SPLM agreement 2015-01-28 09:39:38 By: Dr Lam Akol On the 21st of January 2015, the three factions of the SPLM (now calling themselves ‘Groups’) inked in Arusha, Tanzania, an agreement dubbed “Agreement on the Reunification of the (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan’s Security Services raid and order closure of Mahmoud Mohamed Taha Cultural Centre 2015-01-24 03:41:41 African Centre for Justice and Peace Studies (23 January 2015) At 11am on 18 January, the National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) of Omdurman, Khartoum state, raided the Mahmoud (...)

Women groups announce their support for Sudan Call 2015-01-17 08:34:07 Position Statement from the Women’s Political Forces and Civil Society organizations and Groups on the Sudan Call To the People of Sudan We, the undersigned women, are fully motivated by our (...)

Norway grants US $1.9 million for humanitarian needs in Darfur 2014-12-16 06:47:08 The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) - KHARTOUM Norway helps provide nutritious food to malnourished families in Sudan 14 December 2014 KHARTOUM – The United Nations World Food Programme (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.