Home | News    Wednesday 14 May 2014

Jonglei government urges local farmers to return to cultivate land

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

May 12, 14 (BOR) – The Jonglei state government of Jonglei has urged local individual and farmers’ groups to begin preparing their fields for this year’s agricultural season, which started earlier this month.

JPEG - 110.2 kb
Displaced people sit eating coconut and wild fruits at Yol-akot camp in South Sudan’s Lakes state (ST)

More than 40 small and large-scale farming groups, as well as individual farmers, fled the state after heavy fighting erupted between pro-government loyalists and rebel forces aligned with former vice-president Riek Machar in mid-December last year.

Addressing the Media in the capital, Bor, Jonglei’s minister of information, Jody Jonglei Boyoris, said limited funding would be available from the state government to help farmers cultivate their land.

Jonglei was the scene of brutal fighting after violence in the nation’s capital spread to other areas, with much of Bor destroyed and about 100,000 people fleeing across the Nile to Mingkaman in neighbouring Lakes state.

“We are urging our farmers to return home from Mingkaman and other places where they went to come back home and cultivate, the government is ready to support them”, said Boyoris.

More than three-quarters of Jonglei’s population rely on agriculture for their livelihoods, but with thousands across the state currently displaced there are fears the state could be engulfed by widespread hunger if crops are not planted this season.

Sources in Twic East, Pibor and Pochalla counties living in Bor town told Sudan Tribune that most residents in those regions had resumed farming activities earlier this month and were now waiting to plant seeds.

Planting is also underway in Fangak, Ayod, Uror, Akobo, and Duk counties.

However, there has been little preparation in the payams (districts) surrounding Bor county, where fears of further attacks and instability remain high.

International aid agencies are calling on parties to the conflict to observe 30 days of non-violence during the month of May to enable people to move freely so that they can tend to their crops and livestock.

In a press release issued last month, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said a month of tranquillity would have an immediate impact on the livelihoods of millions of South Sudanese people as it would allow people to take advantage of the remaining crop planting period to ensure a harvest at the end of 2014.

The conflict in South Sudan has left at least 3.7 million people at risk of food insecurity.

As famine looms, aid agencies have issued a stark warning that the country is facing a potential humanitarian catastrophe.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Bullying Darfur 2014-11-13 18:13:39 By Namaa Al-Mahdi November 13, 2014 - “We broke their backs in Abu Karshola, I doubt they have recovered since,” said a prominent Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) member about their counter attack on (...)

Mass Sexual Violence: UNAMID declares it finds "no evidence" 2014-11-12 08:22:38 By Eric Reeves November 10, 2014 - For over a week reports from Darfuris in the Tabit area (45 kilometre southwest of El-Fashir, North Darfur) have provided detailed accounts of the mass rape of (...)

Tabit Rape: A scar on the conscience of our humanity. 2014-11-12 07:54:29 By Abdullahi Osman El-Tom November 11, 2014: Last month, the world awoke to the brutal and inhumane auctioning of women in Iraq by notorious ISIS. The incident received the unprecedented (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan Democracy First Group condemns wave of arbitrary arrests in Sudan 2014-09-25 05:17:35 Sudan Democracy First Group 25 September 2014 - In a desperate attempt to prevent a series of events commemorating the victims of the September 2013 protests, Sudan’s notorious National (...)

HRW calls on UN rights body to press Sudan to investigate murder of peaceful protesters 2014-09-24 21:24:09 Human Rights Watch One Year On, No Justice for Protester Deaths (Geneva, September 23, 2014) – The United Nations Human Rights Council should call on Sudan to account immediately for the death (...)

Hundreds walk for peace in South Sudan 2014-09-23 08:30:16 National Platform for Peace and Reconciliation (NPPR) PRESS RELEASE Juba, 21 September 2014 - Hundreds of people took to the streets of the South Sudan capital Jubato ‘Walk for Peace’and demand (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.