Home | News    Tuesday 13 May 2014

W. Bahr el Ghazal investigates army defections

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

May 12, 2014 (WAU) – Authorities in South Sudan’s Western Bahr el Ghazal state have launched an investigation into last month’s defection of army officers from its military base in Mapel.

JPEG - 59.1 kb
Western Bhar el Ghazal state deputy governor with divission comander Bak Akoon Akoon at millitary base in Mapel May 11, 2014 (ST).

The probe team, with members drawn from diverse institutions, is led by Western Bahr el Ghazal’s deputy governor, Zackaria Joseph Garang.

Garang said investigations started last week with local communities, chiefs, women bodies, youth, payam (district) administrators, police and the military involved.

“There will be no any stone left unturned, we are doing this so that anyone found behind this incident will face law”, the deputy governor told Sudan Tribune.

“We are investigating the local community because we want to known from them as eye witness on how fighting started”, he added.

A separate inquiry, Garang said, is underway to find out circumstances under which a top army elevated officials to higher ranks after several soldiers defected to bushes.

“We discovered that what the media reported was not actually what happened in Mapel. [But] the investigation committee will establish the truth behind the incident”, he said.

Last month, the commander of the mechanised division in Mapel military training camp, Brig. Gen. Bak Akoon Bak said officers defected after a plan allegedly to assassinate him was unearthed.

“The clashes were not plan by division administration; it was only plan by individuals led by James Ochan who is now leading those who defected into the forest,” said the military officer.

“Am hereby asking them to come back normally,” he appealed.

Among the 203 defectors from Mapel, 29 of them were high ranking officers of which only three of them have return to us”, said Brig. Gen Akoon.

“We sent them to the UN base to ensure they were safe”, he added.

The number of casualties involved in the Mapel incident remains unclear with the military commander saying only one of his guards was killed, while four others were injured following an explosion in front of his office.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


World’s newest nation has unprecedented opportunity to end sexual violence in conflict 2014-10-17 21:34:44 By Zainab Hawa Bangura October 17, 2014 - As United Nations Special Representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG) on Sexual Violence in Conflict, I completed my first trip to South Sudan last (...)

Celebrate the golden jubilee of the October 1964 Sudanese revolution 2014-10-17 21:34:32 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman October 17, 2014 - Despite the dearth and lack of what needs celebration and rejoice in the reign of the National Congress Party (NCP) regime led by the tyrant genocidal (...)

Sudan, Iran, the Obama Administration, and Khartoum’s political vision" 2014-10-16 09:05:01 More about what we learn from the leaked minutes of the August 31 meeting bringing together Khartoum's most senior military and security officials By Eric Reeves October 15, 2014 - The document (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan Democracy First Group condemns wave of arbitrary arrests in Sudan 2014-09-25 05:17:35 Sudan Democracy First Group 25 September 2014 - In a desperate attempt to prevent a series of events commemorating the victims of the September 2013 protests, Sudan’s notorious National (...)

HRW calls on UN rights body to press Sudan to investigate murder of peaceful protesters 2014-09-24 21:24:09 Human Rights Watch One Year On, No Justice for Protester Deaths (Geneva, September 23, 2014) – The United Nations Human Rights Council should call on Sudan to account immediately for the death (...)

Hundreds walk for peace in South Sudan 2014-09-23 08:30:16 National Platform for Peace and Reconciliation (NPPR) PRESS RELEASE Juba, 21 September 2014 - Hundreds of people took to the streets of the South Sudan capital Jubato ‘Walk for Peace’and demand (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.