Home | News    Friday 9 May 2014

US, Canada decry Sudan’s bombing of South Kordofan hospital

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

May 8, 2014 (KHARTOUM) – The American and Canadian embassies in Khartoum have strongly condemned a reported attack by the Sudanese air force on a hospital in South Kordofan.

JPEG - 22.6 kb
Children sit in front of their shelter in Bram village in the Nuba Mountains in South Kordofan on 28 April 2012 (Photo: Reuters)

“The embassies in Khartoum of Canada and the United States extend their condolences to the victims of the recently reported bombings of the Mother of Mercy Hospital in the Nuba Mountains, South Kordofan,” the statement reads.

“Reports indicate a number of bombs were dropped near the hospital on May 1 and 2 by Sudanese Armed Forces aircraft, causing injuries and terrifying patients and staff alike,” it adds.

Nuba Reports, an independent news site reporting on the restive Nuba Mountains area, said that the hospital in Gidel village was bombed last week over a two-day period.

A video uploaded to the website purportedly showed people running for cover during the air raid amid explosions and sounds of fighter jets roaming overhead.

It noted that this hospital is run by the Diocese of El Obeid – one of the few organisations operating in the Nuba Mountains where international aid agencies are banned by the Sudanese government and treats 150,000 patients annually

“[It] is the only hospital facility for the Nuban people who have been cut off from the outside world and greater Sudan by their own government. The only other option is the four to six day walk south to the Yida refugee camp in South Sudan. But with South Sudan’s civil war inching ever closer, refugees at Yida are at risk of being caught in the crossfire,” the website said.

The two embassies said that they are “appalled by this attack on those providing essential medical care or humanitarian assistance to people in need. International humanitarian law obligates all parties to a conflict to distinguish civilians from combatants”.

“This latest event only heightens our concerns about the protection of civilians in South Kordofan, Blue Nile and Darfur, where [the] Sudanese Armed Forces continue indiscriminate aerial bombardments of civilians and civilian areas,” said their press release.

“We call upon the Government of Sudan to account for the apparent targeting of a healthcare facility and its patients. We urge all parties to the conflict to take the necessary steps through the African Union-led effort to achieve a cessation of hostilities and allow for full humanitarian access,” it adds.

Last year, the Sudanese government vowed to crush rebellions in all conflict zones including the one in South Kordofan.

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said in its latest weekly bulletin that more than 100,000 have been displaced recently in South Kordofan as a result of the fighting between the Sudanese army and Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-North (SPLM-N).

Peace talks sponsored by the African Union between the two warring sides were adjourned last month in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, after failing to seal a framework agreement.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 9 May 09:37, by Kalo

    It was true,Unmanned SPY plane the one short down by SPLM/N in Abri first move over hospital,followed by the bombardment of Jet Sokoy,next day Antovovo,our messages was,why did the bombed the civilians institution,they know where the barracked are, what they are doing,they will paid using high price,our conflict will never end with NCP.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


South Sudan: How to end economic domination by foreigners? 2014-11-01 09:31:19 By Michael Abraha October 31, 2014 - The October 15 deadline to recall expats from foreign companies and NGOs and replace them with qualified South Sudanese nationals passed inconsequentially. (...)

Is the Sudanese regime laughing at the international community? 2014-10-31 18:49:22 By Salah Shuaib October 31, 2014 - The most recent news pointed out that a number of international and regional powers are trying so hard to convince all Sudanese rivals to find, through (...)

Why SPLM should not be a political party? 2014-10-27 08:00:25 By John Adoor Deng October 27, 2014 - Many people who have the focus in South Sudanese politics, these days have been bombarded with many coined Acronyms around SPLM. Truthfully, it has been a (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan Democracy First Group condemns wave of arbitrary arrests in Sudan 2014-09-25 05:17:35 Sudan Democracy First Group 25 September 2014 - In a desperate attempt to prevent a series of events commemorating the victims of the September 2013 protests, Sudan’s notorious National (...)

HRW calls on UN rights body to press Sudan to investigate murder of peaceful protesters 2014-09-24 21:24:09 Human Rights Watch One Year On, No Justice for Protester Deaths (Geneva, September 23, 2014) – The United Nations Human Rights Council should call on Sudan to account immediately for the death (...)

Hundreds walk for peace in South Sudan 2014-09-23 08:30:16 National Platform for Peace and Reconciliation (NPPR) PRESS RELEASE Juba, 21 September 2014 - Hundreds of people took to the streets of the South Sudan capital Jubato ‘Walk for Peace’and demand (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.