Home | News    Thursday 8 May 2014

Amnesty uncovers “horrific atrocities” in S. Sudan conflict

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

May 8, 2014 (JUBA) – An investigation by Amnesty International (AI) into the conflict in South Sudan has found both government and rebel forces are responsible for “horrific atrocities”, which constitute war crimes, saying civilians in the country are enduring “unimaginable suffering”.

JPEG - 45.5 kb
Reverend Thomas Agou stands by the mass grave of 18 women killed by opposition forces in and around St Andrew Cathedral in Bor in January 2014 (Photo: Donatella Rovera for Amnesty International)

The report, Nowhere Safe: Civilians Under Attack in South Sudan, documents human rights abuses committed by rival forces loyal to president Salva Kiir and former vice-president turned rebel leader Riek Machar and their respective allied militias, since the conflict erupted in mid-December 2013.

The report comes as a coalition of South Sudanese, African and international NGOs appealed to member states of the UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC) to hold a special session on the deteriorating human rights situation in South Sudan.

It includes first-hand accounts from survivors of massacres, victims of sexual abuse and witnesses to the conflict.

Thousands of people have been killed and more than a million displaced since violence erupted in mid-December last year in the capital, Juba, with aid agencies warning of a looming humanitarian catastrophe as the country edges closer to famine.

Amnesty’s report, which was released on Thursday, says researchers found skeletons and decomposing bodies being eaten by dogs. They also uncovered dozens of mass graves, including five in Jonglei state capital Bor containing 530 bodies.

In a disturbing trend, it says civilians have been systematically targeted in places where they sought refuge, including inside their homes, churches, mosques, hospitals and UN compounds.

“This research reveals the unimaginable suffering of so many defenceless civilians unable to escape the growing spiral of violence in South Sudan,” said Michelle Kagari, AI’s deputy director for Africa.

“Civilians have been massacred in the very places where they sought refuge. Children and pregnant women have been raped and old and infirm people shot dead in their hospital beds,” she adds.

KEY RECOMMENDATIONS

Kagari said both sides had shown “total disregard for the most fundamental principles of international human rights and humanitarian law”, saying urgent measures were needed to curb the violence in the country and stop reprisals against civilians.

JPEG - 31.1 kb
Destroyed and looted warehouses belonging to the UN World Food Programme (WFP) in Upper Nile state capital Malakal (Photo: Amnesty International)

In several key recommendations contained in the report, Amnesty calls for the mandate of the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) to be altered to focus on the protection of civilians, human rights investigations and the facilitation of humanitarian access.

Amnesty also calls on all parties to the conflict to immediately cease human rights abuses, cooperate fully with independent and impartial investigations and take concrete steps to bring those responsible to justice.

“Those up and down the chain of command on both sides of the conflict who are responsible for perpetrating, ordering or acquiescing to such grave abuses, some which constitute war crimes and crimes against humanity, must be held accountable,” said Kagari.

Though triggered by a political dispute, the conflict has reignited decades old tribal tensions, pitting members of Kiir’s Dinka tribe against Nuer army defectors and their allied militias loyal to Machar.

Amnesty’s report, based on more than 100 interviews during field research undertaken in March, documents cases in which Dinka, Nuer and Shilluk civilians were deliberately targeted on the basis of their ethnicity.

In the early stages of the conflict, soldiers from the South Sudanese army (SPLA) allegedly conducted door to door searches in Juba, rounding up and killing hundreds of Nuer men, triggering a cycle of revenge attacks in other parts of the country.

JPEG - 35.4 kb
A blind elderly Shilluk woman who was beaten by opposition fighters, pictured in Upper Nile state’s Malakal hospital in February 2014 (Photo: Donatella Rovera for Amnesty International)

In January, the bodies of 18 women believed to be victims of an attack by opposition forces were found in and around the compound of St Andrew’s Cathedral in Jonglei state capital Bor. Six of the women were members of the clergy and all belonged to the Dinka tribe.

Last month, more than 200 civilians were rounded up and killed while sheltering in a mosque in Unity state capital Bentiu after rebels retook the town, in what was one of the worst cases of ethnic violence since conflict erupted.

SHOCKING TESTIMONY

One survivor of a massacre described how he was rounded up by soldiers in Juba and held with at least 300 other men in overcrowded rooms inside an army barracks, where soldiers opened fire indiscriminately.

“Many people were killed in my room,” the man, who was one of 12 survivors, said. “Survivors lay among the dead, pretending to be also dead. The soldiers fired from the windows at anything that moved.”

In a separate incident, a woman described how her 20-year-old son and two other men were taken from her home in the Eden district of Juba by soldiers in the middle of the night on 16 December 2013 and shot.

“They (soldiers) took them outside and tied their hands behind their backs and then tied their feet with the same rope, so that their hands and feet were pulled together like sheep and they could not move. Then they shot them repeatedly,” she said.

The woman, who survived the attack after fleeing to a neighbour’s house, says she was among nine women later gang raped by soldiers.

JPEG - 48.4 kb
The destruction in Bentiu, the capital of South Sudan’s oil-rich Unity state, which has changed hands several times during the conflict (Photo: Amnesty International)

Researchers also heard testimony from a woman who said her 10-year-old sister-in-law was raped by 10 men in Gandor, Leer county, while another recounted how she was among 18 women raped by government soldiers in Palop.

The woman, who was three months pregnant at the time, said she was gang raped by nine men and later lost her baby as a result of the attack.

“If I had refused those people, they would have killed me,” she said.

The woman told researchers that seven women who resisted were violated with large wooden objects. All seven later died from their injuries.

NGOs APPEAL TO UNHRC

In a letter sent to the permanent representatives of members of the UNHRC on Thursday, 20 NGO groups appealed for the body to boost its engagement in the country.

They said a special session would allow the council to be briefed on the gravity of the ongoing crisis and decide on the most appropriate response.

“The dire and deteriorating situation in South Sudan cannot remain unaddressed and deserves the council’s immediate attention,” the NGOs said in the letter.

“The council can and must do more to prevent further serious human rights violations, war crimes and crimes against humanity in the country and to ensure that there is no impunity for the crimes already committed,” the letter adds.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 9 May 2014 00:15, by Ito

    UN know who to blame, the president and his tribemates are solely responsible for this. people should wake up to sacrifice to bring freedom. everybody is sick of dinkas, born to rule, corruption and so many evil things. I am in frontline and ready to sacrifice to retake bor upon orders from visionary leader DR. Riek Machar. Riek must be president whether you like it or not. There will be no peace

    repondre message

    • 9 May 2014 05:53, by Lotodo Awino Odug

      Being in the frontline at the liquor store in America will not render any help to your cause, first go for military trainings before running your inability mouth for a lost war.

      repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Musa Hilal’s "Awakening": Khartoum’s worst nightmare? 2015-04-22 06:33:05 By the Sudan Democracy First Musa Hilal, once one of the principal commanders of the Janjaweed militias which supported the Sudan Armed Forces (SAF) in the 2003/04 ethnic cleansing campaign in (...)

A brief history one man’s destructive misrepresentations 2015-04-18 08:07:54 By Eric Reeves Al Jazeera America is currently airing a two-part documentary that attempts to represent the character and causes of the catastrophe that has overtaken South Sudan following the (...)

Sudan’s election marred by arbitrary detention, and insecurity 2015-04-18 06:31:10 By African Centre for Justice and Peace Studies Sudan’s national general elections began on 13 April 2015. Scheduled to end on 15 April, they were extended one day by the National Elections (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudan’s 2015 Elections: A huge step in democratic consolidation 2015-04-22 13:12:25 EMBASSY OF THE REPUBLIC OF THE SUDAN 3 CLEVELAND ROW, ST.JAMES'S LONDON SW1A 1DD TEL: 020-7839 8080 PRESS AND INFORMATION RELEASE (2/2015) Sudan’s 2015 Elections: A Huge Step in Democratic (...)

Sudanese security arrest rights defender Adil Bakheit 2015-04-18 08:04:21 FRONT-LINE DEFENDRSPress StatementSudan Human rights defender Adil Bakheit arrested Human rights defender Mr Adil Bakheit was arrested on 16 April 2015 by the National Intelligence and Security (...)

Which do you choose? Peace or War? 2015-04-18 06:16:42 To the South Sudanese Diaspora Which do you choose? Peace or War? Coalition of Advocates for South Sudan, April 11, 2015 “The Voice of the South Sudanese Diaspora” Who are/What is the South (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.