Home | News    Thursday 8 May 2014

LRA leader within S. Sudan’s disputed region, says UN

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

May 7, 2014 (JUBA) – The United Nations secretary-general said Lords Resistance Army (LRA) leader Joseph Kony and his army commanders are currently confined in South Sudan’s border areas with Sudan and the Central African Republic (CAR).

JPEG - 22.4 kb
LRA leader Joseph Kony and his fighters (Getty)

"However, credible sources suggest LRA leader Joseph Kony and senior LRA commanders have recently returned to seek safe haven in Sudanese-controlled areas of the enclave," Ban Ki moon told the UN Security Council on Tuesday.

Recently, unconfirmed reports indicated Kony, who is wanted by the Hague-based International Criminal Court (ICC) for war crimes and crimes against humanity, had allegedly been killed by a United States navy seal in a remote location of the CAR.

"The LRA is currently believed to have split into several highly mobile groups operating with a significant degree of autonomy in the Central African Republic and the Democratic Republic of Congo," Ki moon said in a report.

The LRA, which has survived since 1987 by kidnapping and forcing children to become child soldiers, is accused of conducting serious human rights violations against civilians in the areas in which it mainly operates.

Estimates in recent years put the number of LRA fighters to be in low hundreds. Despite the mystery that surrounded Kony’s whereabouts, some reports claimed he had entered the Darfur region of Sudan.

"They are involved primarily in survival mode activities which entail attacking civilians, killing, looting and kidnapping. There have been no reports of recent premeditated mass killings or other grave human rights abuses," said the UN chief.

At least 65 LRA attacks, according to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), occurred during the first quarter of 2014 in the CAR and DRC during which 93 people were reportedly abducted and two killed.

As of December last year, OCHA estimated that approximately 326,000 people were displaced across the CAR, DRC and South Sudan as a result of the LRA threat.

"There were no LRA incidents in South Sudan in the past six months," said OCHA.

In May 2010, US president Barrack Obama signed into law the LRA Disarmament and Northern Uganda Recovery Act, which reaffirmed America’s commitment to support regional partners’ efforts to end the atrocities of the LRA in central Africa.

An African Union (AU) regional task force, comprising of troops from Uganda, South Sudan, the DRC and CAR with support from US special forces are currently involved in the hunt for warlord Kony and his fighters since March 2011.

"Despite the continuing decline in LRA activity overall, the LRA still remains a serious threat, with its senior leadership intact and with the potential to destabilise the sub-region," Ki moon said.

UGANDA ACCUSES SUDAN

Last month, a senior Ugandan government official accused the Sudanese government of allegedly resuming its support for the notorious rebel group.

Speaking on the seemingly wary relations between the two countries, Prime Minister Amama Mbabazi said Uganda has filed a complaint with the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) about Sudan’s alleged support for LRA.

“We had hoped that we had put all this behind us, but sadly, Sudan has not stopped supporting Joseph Kony and the LRA,” Mbabazi said.

“Sudan accused us of supporting rebellion in their country, which I denied. The OIC has taken note of our complaints and it has expressed willingness to mediate”, he added.

Kampala and Khartoum have, in the past, traded accusations of supporting rebel groups. Sudan government says Uganda hosts Sudanese Revolutionary Front rebels.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 8 May 2014 09:58, by Jalaby

    What? Joseph Kony came all the way down from north Uganda to Darfour?!! give me a break!! so Joseph Kony escaped from north Uganda and then South Sudan then eastern Congo then CAR and finally settled himself in Darfour!! you’re kidding, aren’t you?!
    Well, if we become insane people and assumed Kony is hiding in Darfour then why JEM and other Darfourian rebels didn’t

    repondre message

    • 8 May 2014 10:03, by Jalaby

      kill or capture him and then deliver him alive or his dead body to idiot Museveni? why?
      In fact criminal Museveni should be brought to ICC for the crimes against humanity he committed in Rwanda before and continues to commit in eastern Congo and now he moves his gun to South Sudan!!

      repondre message

  • 8 May 2014 10:12, by chuol

    IDIOT MUSEVENI is lucky because he is together with COWARDS COMMUNITY CALLED WEWES OR UGANDANS!!
    SHOULD NUER BE A UGANDANS, I DONT THINK HE CAN MAKE IT FROM 1986 TO DATE WITH THE DICTATORSHIP. THE FUNNY THING IS THAT HE KEEP ON ENCOURAGING INCOMPETENT KIIR FROM THE COWARD COMMUNITY TO BE A DICTATOR IN THE WATCH OF MIGHTY NUER, HAHAHAHHA FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


A brief history one man’s destructive misrepresentations 2015-04-18 08:07:54 By Eric Reeves Al Jazeera America is currently airing a two-part documentary that attempts to represent the character and causes of the catastrophe that has overtaken South Sudan following the (...)

Sudan’s election marred by arbitrary detention, and insecurity 2015-04-18 06:31:10 By African Centre for Justice and Peace Studies Sudan’s national general elections began on 13 April 2015. Scheduled to end on 15 April, they were extended one day by the National Elections (...)

President Bashir’s elections: victory by default 2015-04-16 21:24:18 By Magdi El Gizouli Two days before the start of polling in Sudan’s ongoing elections on 13 April a quarter-page insert in the Khartoum newspaper al-Intibaha congratulated the former finance (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudanese security arrest rights defender Adil Bakheit 2015-04-18 08:04:21 FRONT-LINE DEFENDRSPress StatementSudan Human rights defender Adil Bakheit arrested Human rights defender Mr Adil Bakheit was arrested on 16 April 2015 by the National Intelligence and Security (...)

Which do you choose? Peace or War? 2015-04-18 06:16:42 To the South Sudanese Diaspora Which do you choose? Peace or War? Coalition of Advocates for South Sudan, April 11, 2015 “The Voice of the South Sudanese Diaspora” Who are/What is the South (...)

Seventy-six organizations call for publication of AU Inquiry Report as deadline for peace passes 2015-03-07 05:04:51 6 March 2015: FOR Immediate Release SOUTH SUDAN: The African Union (AU) Peace and Security Council (PSC) should immediately consider, publish and disseminate the final report of the Commission (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.