Home | News    Wednesday 7 May 2014

S. Sudan claims defected army generals starting to return

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

May 6, 2014 (JUBA) – Some of the high-ranking South Sudanese military officers who deserted their positions in Northern Bahr el Ghazal state last week have returned, an official told Sudan Tribune.

JPEG - 23.5 kb
A group of soldiers from the South Sudan army gather around a truck while on patrol in the capital, Juba (Photo: Samir Bol/AFP/Getty Images)

Salva Chol Ayat, the state’s deputy governor said Brig. Peter Gatpel, a senior military officer who allegedly defected to opposition forces, had returned with some soldiers.

“We have received report that Brigadier Peter Gatpel who deserted his area of employment last week has returned. He has returned with some soldiers and officers,” Ayat told Sudan Tribune in an exclusive interview on Tuesday.

“They are now in Wunlang area in Aweil East County with some of the soldiers. Others have remained behind but we see no reason for them to have left,” he added.

However, it remains unclear as to how many officers and soldiers defected last week as neither the local command nor the office of the deputy chief of general staff for operation or the office of the spokesperson of the government made any statements.

“Peter Gatpel had been received by the local command and was accorded protection and taken to Aweil town, capital of Northern Bahr el Ghazal state where he is put in the hotel with his wives, but that he was suffering from diabetes,” the official said.

The senior army official, according to the deputy governor, looked weak having stayed for days minus food, a condition unhealthy for those suffering from diabetes.

“Seven of the defectors surrendered to the army at Wunlang after which they were allowed to hold talks with the state government and the general command and the office of the president,” Ayat said.

He further revealed that the soldiers who returned rejected going to the United Nations camp for protection, expressing their willingness to remain part of the army.

“We actually do not know why they left. We have not yet asked this question. What is important to see that they are protected and free? This was why they were asked to choose whether to go under UNMISS protection or to stay with the army,” Ayat told Sudan Tribune.

“Some of the soldiers and officers left because of fear,” he added.

Meanwhile, no investigations have reportedly been undertaken by authorities to establish why these army officials left their unit last week, raising fears of possible escalation of the ongoing conflict in the country.

“We explained to the local people that the Nuer living in the area was part of the government and that anyone who attempts to do anything will have invited trouble from the government. We told them that the Nuer in the area are not rebels. The Nuer fighting your brothers and sisters in Jonglei, Unity and Upper Nile states are the rebels fighting to change the government,” explained the deputy governor.

A number of senior army officers reportedly switched allegiance to rebel forces led by former vice-president Riek Machar after violence broke out in Western Bahr el Ghazal’s town on Mapel before it spread to the capital, Wau, over a week ago.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 7 May 2014 10:06, by peter Marial

    We welcome them back, for they are not guilty. We want to see more generals returning so that peace prevails once more. Mrs. no future, the one whose hands are stained with blood (Ariak) will soon be dragged to death by our gallant forces.

    repondre message

    • 7 May 2014 11:54, by Bentiu son

      What a fabrication reports,mere propaganda,unfounded claims and pure lies manufactured by Dinka Kingdom whose government rotted from Top to Bottom.Notice morons, Brigadier General Gatbel Wich not Gatpel as you wrongly wrote had had join our freedom Fighters already.It would be shame before Man and God for him to return back to genocidal regime who assassinated 192 Nuer boys trainees from Mapel-Wau

      repondre message

      • 7 May 2014 12:03, by Bentiu son

        recently.Why returning to painful regime? Money or ranks? No we already reached deadlock with Dinka genocidal regime whose massacred 17,613 innocent Nuer civilians in Juba last year and continue wantonly killing/targeting Nuer at the moment. No peace talk,No reconciliation,No one People n One Nation as Dinka players and their puppets do preach at their Dinka owned SSTV shamefully.Salva Kiir must g

        repondre message

    • 8 May 2014 12:25, by mathem jech amer

      Foolish Dinkas, do they know how many people they killed? this general did not return but he was captured and they made mistake to bring him alive.

      repondre message

  • 7 May 2014 13:32, by Grader

    Haven’t SPLA and GoSS learnt from Malakal and Bentiu ’returns’?! Pathetic

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Open letter to UN secretary-general 2015-09-01 09:11:28 To Secretary General Ban Ki-­moon Secretary-­General of the United Nations Dear Mr. Ban, Tuesday, 1st September 2015 To the military parade in Beijing on September 3rd you have been invited as (...)

Bashir`s dialogue is nothing but adding insult and injury on Sudan`s crises 2015-09-01 09:03:05 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman It comes as no surprise that the NCP regime President Omer al-Bashir using his fake 'national' dialogue again after apparently felt rest assured that he has recently (...)

The perilous change in Darfur’s demography 2015-08-28 08:10:36 By Eric Reeves The debate about whether or not Darfur was the site of genocide long ago flamed out, largely because the issue became excessively politicized and the world—in general—no longer (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Resolutions and recommendations of the SPLM-N leadership meeting 2015-08-11 22:21:18 SUDAN PEOPLES’ LIBERATION MOVEMENT NORTH Leadership Meeting of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement- North ( SPLM-N) Final Communique: Resolutions and Recommendations August 6th, 2015 The (...)

Sudanese, human rights groups and advocates demand renewal of UNAMID 2015-06-25 06:03:32 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: New York: Ahmed H.Adam, Tel. +1 347 567 1491 or aha64@cornell.edu Kampala: Abdelrahman Gasim, Tel. +256 7 51 90 77 77 or gasim202000@gmail.com Geneva: Abdelbagi (...)

Civil society groups urge to stop hostilities in W. Bahr El Ghazal 2015-06-11 22:24:37 Urgent action for sustainable peace in Western Bahr El Ghazal State Civil Society Statement: June 10, 2015 Wau –Western Bahr El Ghazal State- The Republic of South Sudan We, civil society (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.