Home | News    Sunday 4 May 2014

Reports of children in S. Sudan facing forced conscription, rape

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

May 3, 2014 (JUBA) – The UN has expressed grave concerns for the welfare of children across South Sudan among credible reports 9,000 have been recruited by armed groups, while others have been raped and killed during indiscriminate attacks by both sides as the nation plunges further into crisis.

JPEG - 30.4 kb
Children wait to receive a measles vaccine at the UNMISS camp in Bor, the capital of South Sudan’s Jonglei state (Photo: UNICEF)

The UN high commissioner for human Rights Navi Pillay said 32 schools have been taken over by military forces and there have been more than 20 attacks on clinics and health centres across the country.

The chaotic nature of the conflict has severely interrupted the education of children in the country, with many also becoming separated from their families due to the fighting, which erupted in mid-December last year after political tensions turned violent.

The conflict has pitted government forces loyal to Kiir, a Dinka, against rebels aligned with Machar, South Sudan’s former vice-president, who hails from the Nuer tribe.

Women and children remain among the most vulnerable sections of society, with many subject to brutal sexual violence, including gang rape, says Pillay.

Pillay and UN special advisor on the prevention of genocide Adama Dieng recently held talks with president Salva Kiir and rebel leader Riek Machar during a three-day visit to the country.

Pillay has expressed dismay that both leaders seemed more concerned with advancing their own political interests rather than stemming violence in the new nation, which is on the brink of a catastrophe and a looming famine.

“The prospect of widespread hunger and malnutrition being inflicted on hundreds of thousands of their people, because of their personal failure to resolve their differences peacefully did not appear to concern them very much,” she said following the visit, adding that the conflict was now “reaching boiling point”.

The visit by the senior UN officials comes in the wake of mass killings last month in Unity state capital Bentiu and Jonglei capital Bor, which appear to be ethnically motivated, sparking international condemnation.

The UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) has alleged that more than 200 civilians were killed while sheltering at a mosque in Bentiu after pro-Machar rebel forces retook the town from government troops.

UNMISS said people were rounded up and killed based on their ethnicity and nationality, while hate messages were reportedly broadcast on local radio inciting violence and rape.

Two days later, the UNMISS base in Bor, where thousands of civilians are sheltering, was breached by an armed mob, with dozens killed in the attack.

The escalation in ethnic tensions led US secretary of state, John Kerry, who is currently visiting the region, to warn that the country is facing a possible genocide.

Dieng for his part says the attacks in the two towns seemed to have “changed the trajectory” of the conflict and that recent categorised as risk factors of genocide and other atrocity crimes.

US Republican congressman Frank Wolfe this week criticised the Obama’s administration’s foreign policy on South Sudan, saying the country was at risk of becoming the next Rwanda, the scene of a brutal ethnic genocide 20 years ago.

Meanwhile, at a press briefing in Geneva on Friday, Christophe Boulierac of the UN children’s fund (UNICEF) provided an update on the situation facing children in South Sudan.

He said while UNICEF is unable to verify the number of children recruited by armed groups, it says the information received was from reliable sources and is based on eyewitness accounts.

He said access to water at the UN base in Bentiu had improved in the past 10 days from two litres per person to 7.5 litres per person after a second well was dug to cope with the influx of internally displaced persons following the recent surge in violence in the region.

The average number of persons sharing a single latrine in the camp is 129 persons, down from 317, although Boulierac concedes this figure is still too high.

The first phase of the immunisation campaign against polio and measles, along with a supplement of vitamin A, also got underway on 23 April in cooperation with the ministry of health, UNICEF and the World Health Organization (WHO) in seven states.

The program aims to vaccinate 2.4 million children in South Sudan.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 4 May 12:47, by Jalaby

    Oh my Goodness!! killing and raping children?!
    We never ever heard that Arab/Jalaba had raped the children in the south for the past 50 years while fighting against the south rebels and now you guys rape your own babies!! what? are you real men or half men?!! shame on you .. shame on you!!

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


The UNAMID internal report on mass rape in Tabit. 2014-11-21 06:09:21 What UNAMID really said about their investigation of mass sexual assaults on Tabit: The internal report on what investigators found By Eric Reeves November 20, 2014 - On November 12, 2014 (...)

Bullying Darfur 2014-11-13 18:13:39 By Namaa Al-Mahdi November 13, 2014 - “We broke their backs in Abu Karshola, I doubt they have recovered since,” said a prominent Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) member about their counter attack on (...)

Mass Sexual Violence: UNAMID declares it finds "no evidence" 2014-11-12 08:22:38 By Eric Reeves November 10, 2014 - For over a week reports from Darfuris in the Tabit area (45 kilometre southwest of El-Fashir, North Darfur) have provided detailed accounts of the mass rape of (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan Democracy First Group condemns wave of arbitrary arrests in Sudan 2014-09-25 05:17:35 Sudan Democracy First Group 25 September 2014 - In a desperate attempt to prevent a series of events commemorating the victims of the September 2013 protests, Sudan’s notorious National (...)

HRW calls on UN rights body to press Sudan to investigate murder of peaceful protesters 2014-09-24 21:24:09 Human Rights Watch One Year On, No Justice for Protester Deaths (Geneva, September 23, 2014) – The United Nations Human Rights Council should call on Sudan to account immediately for the death (...)

Hundreds walk for peace in South Sudan 2014-09-23 08:30:16 National Platform for Peace and Reconciliation (NPPR) PRESS RELEASE Juba, 21 September 2014 - Hundreds of people took to the streets of the South Sudan capital Jubato ‘Walk for Peace’and demand (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.